In-text Ads make mobile forum frustrating - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Ground Control > Wings900.com Sites Issues and Help section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
RJ First Officer

Budgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dog
In-text Ads make mobile forum frustrating

I'm getting those in-text ads whenever I use the forums on mobile. I have it set to desktop mode on my iPhone, and nearly every thread I read will have at least one word coloured green and double underlined. Ads on the border of the page, and even one thin one between posts (like on the airliners.net forums) are acceptable, but these in text ads expand after the page has loaded, are really huge, and make using the forums very frustrating.

Is this something affecting my phone? My computer, last I checked, doesn't have this issue, but I almost exclusively browse on my iPhone using the safari app. Is this just a necessity to keep the site running? I hope not, because they're terribly hard to ignore, especially as they move when "opening up" and catch my eye.

Please let me know what you suggest. Here are some photos of what I mean:
Attached Thumbnails
In-text Ads make mobile forum frustrating-img_1081.jpg   In-text Ads make mobile forum frustrating-img_1080.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 05:42 AM   #2
Flyin' High

Robin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobbyRobin is a legend of the hobby
Re: In-text Ads make mobile forum frustrating

I'm famous :O

Jokes aside though, I have this as well.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
High in the Sky

American787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributorAmerican787 is a good contributor

I agree, these are annoying, but Wings900's gotta make money somehow!

My worst favorite though are the ones that blow up in your face like, "YOU JUST WON A FREE IPHONE" type of crap that tries to steal your information... those suck!

American787

ClAAsic

Last edited by American787; 04-05-2017 at 08:16 AM.
American787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
Admin

vs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting started

The in-text ads should only be showing up for non-signed in users and guests. With that said, I'm not getting them. Are you seeing one in this thread? Which word?

The pop-up ads for "free iphones" shouldn't be on the site at all. Can you grab me the link for that page next time you get one?

Kevin
vs-Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
RJ First Officer

Budgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dogBudgie is a top dog

I'm signed in on both my computer and iPhone. Nothing gets highlighted on my computer, but on my phone, I'm seeing "text", "computer", "photos", "forum", "users", and "site" on this thread. Only one of the links is ever expanded at one time, thankfully. The highlighted text changes when I reload the page. I logged out and logged back in to make sure, and still get these ads. Let me know if there is anything else you need me to do. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

I get them on my phone even when signed in. A number of words are highlighted in green with a double underscore which links to an ad. I have to say whilst I understand and appreciate the need for marketing, it's very intrusive in it's current format
Old 04-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #7
Admin

vs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting startedvs-Admin is getting started

@budgie, have you tried the site on your phone in enhanced mobile view (emv) to see if the problem persists?

@furryforest, please forward us the links of those intrusive ads - we don't want these on the site and getting the URL link from the ad directly will help our techs to remove it at once.

We thank you for your patience and understanding while we sort these out.

Cheers,
Natalie
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
RJ First Officer

Could you tell me how to switch to mobile view? I can't seem to find the option.

I'll test it as soon as I can switch, but it'd be nice if I could use the site in both modes without these intrusive ads.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #9
Admin

Hey there,

On your mobile device, clear your cache and cookies from your browser.
This should kick you into the View mentioned above.

Richard.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Old 04-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #11
RJ First Officer

I haven't been able to switch to mobile view.

Either way, I really prefer the desktop view and I'd like to use it without ads like these.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Admin

Hey guys,

When you do see ads like this, could you please grab the full URL to the the ad and copy it over here for us. With that the ad team will be able to review and possibly even apply blocks those ads no longer show when on your mobile devices.

~Sheena
Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
This ad appeared again. Here is the link

Do Not Buy Another Scratch Card Until You Have Read This | The Win Genius
Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Admin

thanks for reporting this. I've send this over to our ad manager to see what he can do about this.

Lee
Old 04-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #15
Admin

Do you need more examples or is this enough?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: