More RAAF Warbirds. - Page 13 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > War Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #181
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog
Re: More RAAF Warbirds.

I was thinking, OMG that is unbelievable precision flying - a certain winner for the "How low can you go?" thread - but then the RNZAF gets igg on et's face...

Only joking (Hamish) - that is a great clip! Thanks for sharing it.

flyingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #182
Earning My Wings

sandy is flying under the radar

Hello - I happened upon this website while doing online research on a relative of mine who flew with the RAAF in WWII. I don't have much experience with posting to sites like this, but I would very much like to communicate with "flyingdoc" regarding his post about LL847 of 463 Squadron. My uncle was a member of the crew. If he, or anyone else is open to discussing this topic with me, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks very much!

Regards - Sandy
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #183
Operations Director

flyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dogflyingdoc is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Hello - I happened upon this website while doing online research on a relative of mine who flew with the RAAF in WWII. I don't have much experience with posting to sites like this, but I would very much like to communicate with "flyingdoc" regarding his post about LL847 of 463 Squadron. My uncle was a member of the crew. If he, or anyone else is open to discussing this topic with me, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks very much!

Regards - Sandy
Will email you tonight after work Sandy.

Welcome to Wings900.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #184
Operations Director

Sandy, in addition to the material I have emailed, I have found this photo of the communal grave of the aircrew of "D-Digger", 463 Sqn, including your late uncle, Henry Fowler (2nd from top on the left).

Old 05-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #185
Earning My Wings

Just a heads up to flyingdoc that I sent an email. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #186
Operations Director

Quote:
Just a heads up to flyingdoc that I sent an email. Thanks!
Couldn't find it Sandy - can you re-send?

I have some more interesting news regarding "D-Digger" also.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #187
Earning My Wings

I KNEW my emails were disappearing into a black hole....will definitely resend.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #188
Operations Director

Time for my latest RAAF additions - not a new release but only recently landed after a long time on order.

Aeroclassics RAAF BAC-111 pair
34 Squadron (VIP TRansport), Farirbairn, ACT
A12-124 and A12-125

Of interest to me was the way that at the end of 2008 there was almost simultaneous release of the same aircraft by different manufacturers. Whilst there was speculation of this release by Aeroclassics, JC Wings beat AK to the punch and released A12-125 some months before. JC Wings was a new player on the block, but did a very impressive job.

The BAC 111 had its beginnings in the Hunting Aircraft H.107 32-seat airliner designed in 1957, but this design was shelved. The British Aircraft Corporation was formed in February 1960 with the amalgamation of the Bristol Aeroplane Co Ltd, English Electric Co Ltd and Vickers Ltd. BAC also had a controlling share in Hunting Aircraft Ltd, and the H.107 design was reactivated as the 59-seat BAC 107. Demand, however, was for a larger Viscount-sized airliner, which led to the 79-seat BAC 111.

British United Airways was the launch customer for the BAC 111 with an order for 10 aircraft in May 1961, followed in October by Braniff, which became the first US airline to order foreign equipment off the drawing board.

In May 1963 three variants of the BAC 111 were announced. The basic Series 200 had Rolls-Royce Spey 506 turbofans, the longer range/greater payload Series 300 had Spey 511s, and a similar Series 400 met requirements for the US market.

The Series 200 was selected by the RAAF and two aircraft were ordered in April 1966 at a cost of $4 million each. The model designation for the RAAF was One Eleven 217EA, and these aircraft had the more powerful Spey 511-14 turbofans of the Series 300 aircraft. The first RAAF aircraft, A12-124, flew on 3 November 1967 and was accepted by the RAAF on 21 December, arriving at RAAF Fairbairn on 18 January 1968. The second aircraft, A12-125, flew on 10 January 1968 and was accepted on 31 January. It arrived at Fairbairn on 8 February 1968.

In No 34 Squadron service the BAC 111 joined three Mystere 20 jets, with two HS748s and two Viscount turboprop transports, making the RAAF VIP fleet nine strong, of four different types. In 20 years' service the BAC 111s flew over 25,000 hours with No 34 Squadron before being replaced by the Falcon 900 in 1989.

I actually think the JC Wings release is superior in the mould, landing gear and accuracy of the printing. For comparison here are some pics.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #189
Earning My Wings

Back online, and recently sent email to flyingdoc. Hope this one didn't get lost! - Sandy
Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #190
Operations Director

Quote:
Back online, and recently sent email to flyingdoc. Hope this one didn't get lost! - Sandy
Got it Sandy - on Dad Duty this weekend, so please forgive delay in proper reply.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #191
Operations Director

Latest addition to the fleet (only 2 weeks after it was announced!)...

HobbyMaster 1:72 Bell P-39D Aeracobra
A53-9, T-Z
23 Squadron, RAAF, Lowood Queensland

The Bell P-39 Airacobra was only operated in small numbers by the RAAF - 22 to be exact. However, the aircraft was important because it allowed the RAAF to rapidly equip a number of new squadrons during the hectic expansion phase of late 1942 when the north of the country was under direct attack..

The RAAF was struggling to raise new fighter squadrons because of a lack of aircraft and approached the US Army for the loan of a small number of aircraft to help equip these newly formed fighter squadrons. The US 5th Air Force made some 22 Bell Airacobras available and these aircraft were operated by 23, 24 and 82 Squadrons of the RAAF for a period of two years before those remaining were returned to the Americans.

The Airacobra was unconventional in its design with a mid-mounted engine. This rendered it vulnerable to any attack from enemy fighters from behind. Its heavy weight and lack of an adequate supercharger for its Allison engine limited the operating ceiling for combat. In addition, the unconventional engine layout meant there was no space in the fuselage to place a fuel tank. Although drop tanks were implemented to extend its range, the standard fuel load was carried in the wings, with the result that the P-39 was limited to short range tactical strikes. Both factors mitigated against its success in the Pacific theatre and none saw any combat in RAAF service. The Russians were the only airforce to enjoy any substantial success with them.

A53-9 was received by 23 Sqn from the USAAC on 17/08/42. She served with 23 Sqn 17/08/42 to 26/02/43 and then with 83 Sqn 26/02/43 to 28/05/43, before being converted to componants 26/08/43. The remains were crated and returned to US 5th Airforce.

Here are the pics...

Walkaround

Underbelly

The model comes with a display stand, pilot figure, drop tank and bomb, and option of gear up or down. The landing gear and bays are nicely detailed.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #192
Operations Director

Plus a couple of additional detail pics...

Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 AM   #193

rocky is flying under the radarrocky is flying under the radarrocky is flying under the radar

Can you advise the HM model number for the RAAF P38. I am a new comer to this forum but the information is great.
There was mention of the DO 24 and some otherAltaya models that you guys might be interested in as they all flew with RAAF squadrons in Europe and the Pacific. Unfortunately apart from the 461 squadron Sunderland they do not show RAAF serials but I dont think we would ever see these aircraft in RAAF insignia. They are:
.A20G Havoc -known as Boston in RAAF service. We operated 69 in various marks. Our only RAAF VC in the Pacific was won by a Pilot Newton on a raid to Salamaua.
.North American Mitchell. Some of these were taken over from the Dutch after the NEI was overrun by the Japs
.Consolidated Liberator - we had 287 of these.
.Handley Page Hampden
.Avro Manchester
.Handley Page Halifax II
.Vickers Wellington
Martin Mariner - we operated 12 of these as transports with the guns and radome removed -the Altaya model is excellent but is fully equipped with those items.

RAAF aircrew also flew in RAF squadrons and our other VC was earned by PO RH Middleton flying a Short Stirling.
A W Whitleys were also flown by Australians.
These are all available from european sources and are excellent models only in 1:144 scale and are reasonably priced.

None of the mainstream producers go anywhere near these model types .

By the sounds of your postings, there are some great collections out there. It is great reading the postings. I seem to have most of the types that have been mentioned but would love the likes of the following in RAAF colours in 1:72 or 1:144 scale:
.Canberra
.F111 - I hear a rumour that one may be produced this year.
.Fairey Firefly
.Grumman Tracker
.Westland Wessex
.Mirage in 1:72
.F18 & Super Hornet
.Caribou
.Beaufighter in Pacific colours
.Dakota in RAAF - I have several in RAF colours.

Your comments will be appreciated.
Rocky
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #194
Operations Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Can you advise the HM model number for the RAAF P38.
Welcome to the Forums Rocky! Glad you are enjoying this thread.

The HobbyMaster model number is HA1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
There was mention of the DO 24 and some otherAltaya models that you guys might be interested in as they all flew with RAAF squadrons in Europe and the Pacific. Unfortunately apart from the 461 squadron Sunderland they do not show RAAF serials but I dont think we would ever see these aircraft in RAAF insignia. They are:
.A20G Havoc -known as Boston in RAAF service. We operated 69 in various marks. Our only RAAF VC in the Pacific was won by a Pilot Newton on a raid to Salamaua.
.North American Mitchell. Some of these were taken over from the Dutch after the NEI was overrun by the Japs
.Consolidated Liberator - we had 287 of these.
.Handley Page Hampden
.Avro Manchester
.Handley Page Halifax II
.Vickers Wellington
Martin Mariner - we operated 12 of these as transports with the guns and radome removed -the Altaya model is excellent but is fully equipped with those items.

RAAF aircrew also flew in RAF squadrons and our other VC was earned by PO RH Middleton flying a Short Stirling.
A W Whitleys were also flown by Australians.
These are all available from european sources and are excellent models only in 1:144 scale and are reasonably priced.
Way ahead of you there Rocky. I have a bunch of the Altaya models and am in the process of converting them to RAAF versions. The Dornier is one that I have mentioned. The Martin Mariner is another - the radome is easily removed. I am in the process of converting my Short Stirling to Middletons and will post when it is done - the story that goes with it is memorable and deserves wider reading. In fact, I think the Boston is the only one that I don't have. My main problem is lack of time. Research for most is done - it is just getting around to repainting and getting the decals right.

In an act of extreme optimism I have also purchased some model kits recently, although I have no idea when I will make them. They include the RAAF Beechcraft, Pilatus PC-9 in Roulettes colours, RAN Westland Wessex and RAAF F-111 in the old camo colours. Have also picked up some kit form Lancasters, F/A-18 Hornets and SuperHornets in 1:144 scale very cheaply from Japan - perhaps for dioramas later. I've got a RAAF Caribou on order as well.

You are right that we are expecting an F-111 in 1:48 scale from Franklin Mint later this year, but it will be a resin model. FM seems to be running WAY behind its production schedule. We are still waiting on an Avon Sabre in Marksmen colours, P-40 Kittyhawk , Spitfire and 2 new Mirage models from Franklin Mint since last year.

There is also talk of an F-111 in 1:72 scale as well as hints of further RAAF offerings from HobbyMaster. Have also had some preliminary communications with Corgi about another Lanc so fingers crossed there. Got my hopes up earlier in the year for a HM Beaufighter in RAAF colours when it was advertised as such, but subsequently saw the serial which belonged to SEAC. I guess its not out of the question that we will see one, and one source tells me it is only a matter of time.

I hope to be posting some more RAAF "warbirds" soon!

Old 07-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #195
Diecast Aficionado

ChairmanMilo is getting startedChairmanMilo is getting startedChairmanMilo is getting started
Thumbs up Re: More RAAF Warbirds.

I've been patiently awaiting the new RAAF Airacobra for quite a while.

You're lucky to have gotten it so quickly after its release was announced!

You have a great collection of RAAF aircraft, flyingdoc. I have a significant number of RAAF aircraft myself, but all WW2 - I haven't the room to expand into post-WW2 RAAF aircraft. The 1:48 F/A-18s themselves are far too large for me to fit in my tiny display area.
ChairmanMilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: