The Red Caboose Visit - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > Shop Visits

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Who Needs to Earn Wings?

PepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributor
The Red Caboose Visit

Evening All,

During my recent visit to New York I managed to get some spare time during my hectic visit to go to 2 Model Shops. I visited Jans Model Shop and The Red Caboose

I had read many negative reviews of the Red Caboose, mainly regarding the un-friendliness of it's owner. I visited despite the warnings and I managed to pick myself up two models, a FedEx 757-200 and an UPS 767-300. I don't feel like I overpaid and the owner and his co-worker were very Helpful.

1:200 Shelf

1:400 Shelf

The Shop's Cat

Despite what many posts may say, I would defiantly recommend a visit to the Red Caboose if you are in the NYC area!

I will be posting images of Jans Model Shop tommorow!
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
RJ First Officer

MaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciated
Re: The Red Caboose Visit

Definitely agree. I went to the Red Caboose about a year ago while in NY. Prices are a bit high but not too bad and I found the owner was helpful also. Bought a couple 1:400s there. Much better than what people say
www.flynci.weebly.com
MaxDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
"Cleared to land"

GeminiJetsAerLingus is flying under the radar

I was here in April 2014. I have to agree that the prices were abit high but the shop owner seemed friendly enough. They had some rare herpa pieces when I was there.
GeminiJetsAerLingus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2015, 04:09 AM   #4
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Is that that small shop near 5th Ave?

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Earning My Wings

MinnesotaGemini is flying under the radarMinnesotaGemini is flying under the radar

its on 45th
MinnesotaGemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
Line Service Technician

Southwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobby

How are their prices? They're prices online are a little high for what I'll pay. But I do plan on going to NYC next summer for maybe a weekend or something. Just to get away.
Southwest&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Who Needs to Earn Wings?

PepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributorPepeThePlaneSpotter is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest&Blue View Post
How are their prices? They're prices online are a little high for what I'll pay. But I do plan on going to NYC next summer for maybe a weekend or something. Just to get away.
The prices are a little high but as the shop is in Central NYC where the rents are incredibly expensive, you can see why the prices have to be high.

If you go to NYC, go to the red caboose. Even if you don't buy anything, it is a cool little shop
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
RJ Second Officer

rugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributor

Hey Guys

I also visited the Red Caboose this year on my visit to the US, and I have to say I had a completely different feeling of the lack of customer service. In fact, I have never been so insulted by the owner in my life when I asked about an unboxed model, it actually made me really upset about his very personal comments towards me, so without saying don't go to the model shop, just take the message that his attitude towards people can be so disgusting! Oh, and by the way, after insulting me, he asked whether I'd like to take the model or not, and without making any comment back (because I really don't go to that level), I just hastily left.

Just a word of warning, as it wasn't my first visit I can tell you that his Co-Worker is actually very friendly and nice to talk to, if it was him alone running the business I'd be happy to go along again.

Best Wishes anyway, just take what I've said into consideration please

Jan
rugeley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
King of the Geeks

Kitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dogKitty Hawk 1903 is a top dog

When we were in NYC,didn't get to either shop. We had to cram a lot into three days, Rangers hockey game, ESB,lady liberty in the harbor. I was two feet from Trump in his building. The security person with him was about the size of a Cadillac Escalade. He was friendly enough. photos,signing.no problem.Good pick up on the Fedex B757. Those are getting harder and harder to find. Every store should have a cat. For those of you who live in New York or in the vicinity of,you have a great city.

David

Kitty Hawk 1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #10
Earning My Wings

USAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciatedUSAir767 is appreciated

I go to this shop every time in in NY (about once a year) and the owners there have always been very helpful and friendly. They are overpriced though, but they do have a good selection of models, mostly Gemini and Dragon
USAir767 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: