Hamleys Toy Store/Models London - update **Jan 2013** - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Aviation Terminal > Shop Visits

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
1/400 Collector

nathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobby
Hamleys Toy Store/Models London - update **Jan 2013**

I thought I would start this new thread as I know that the question often crops up...."where are the best model shops in London?"

The main places previously mentioned were Aviation Retail Direct located near Heathrow and one other...Hamleys on Regent Street in the heart of the City.

Today, I was in London for a meeting and had a couple of hours to kill so I thought I would investigate Hamleys to see what models they had in stock.

The picture I have posted below...is...well....everything they have there! Not a lot. Mainly only 1/400 and 1/200 scales. (GJ BA A380, GJ AA 773, GJ Qantas B744, GJ EK A380, GJ EK 772, GJ VIRGIN A333, GJ BA 744, GJ PHIL A320, GJ PANAM 727, SKYMARKS ELAL 744, SKYMARKS VS 744, SKYMARKS BA A380, SKYMARKS SINGAPORE 744, SKYMARKS CANADIAN AF A330 etc)

The prices are WAY too much though. £44 for a Gemini Jets 1/400 Emirates 777-200LR!!!! I'll stick to the Internet thanks! Way cheaper! In a glass cabinet they had a BA A320 in 1/100 scale with wooden stand. Possibly Pacmin at a guess. This was being sold for £100!

This store must be making a massive profit on these items - if they actually do sell any!

I hope this is a help for any collectors visiting London in the near future

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
1:400 Scale Collector

Haz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobby
Re: Hamleys Toy Store/Models London - update **Jan 2013**

Nice, didn't know Hamleys had 1:400 models. As you said, I could imagine them to be expensive.
Haz Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
1/400 Collector

nathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobbynathanbennett is a legend of the hobby

Yes, I was very surprised to see they had 1/400 too.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
1/400 Collector

Update on the latest stock at Hamley's Toy Store on Regent Street, London. They now have other GJ models in stock like the Qantas A380 and Thomson 787 (priced at £40 which is WAY over priced!!!)

They also now stock the GJ Terminal, GSE and Control Tower. Here is a picture of the layout in the store behind a glass cabinet. (PS; - note that they have placed some of the air bridges leading to the wrong doors!)

nathanbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
ATP Captain

Canadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast icon

Did you notice the prices on these models...

£44.00 for a 747-400..................... is that normal for 1/400?
Canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

Nice images though. Thank you for the heads up in the UK. Do they have a website?
cameraman1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
JeffinM***

cameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributorcameraman1031 is an excellent contributor

Canadiankid....That is $66USD. That's high if you covert to USD otherwise it seems like MSRP.
cameraman1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankid View Post
Did you notice the prices on these models...

£44.00 for a 747-400..................... is that normal for 1/400?
Yeah the prices are shocking!!! £44 for the 744 is a bit steep I think. The Thomson 787 was priced at £40.00. I can get that for £27.00 elsewhere!
Old 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
ATP Captain

Canadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast iconCanadiankid is a diecast icon

gosh that v expensive :-/.... if iw as a 1:400 collector i would not buy from there at all
Canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman1031 View Post
Nice images though. Thank you for the heads up in the UK. Do they have a website?
No problem. Yeah, their website is Hamleys Toy Shop. Toys and Games from the Finest Children's Toy Shop but not much aircraft stock on there unfortuantely
Old 03-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
1:400 Scale Collector

Haz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobby

Woah, they've the terminal?! Awesome!
Haz Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
1/400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz Baz View Post
Woah, they've the terminal?! Awesome!
Yeah, they had 4 in stock. Was around £120.00 though I think. Comes with the ground foil.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
RJ Second Officer

rugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributorrugeley123 is a good contributor

That does seem costly, but not a bad place, I'd rather go there than use the internet tbh, unless it was ebay. I prefer to buy in hand, sometimes a nice thing
rugeley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
Second Officer

Citiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast iconCitiflyer is a diecast icon

Has anyone been here recently?
Citiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Puddle Jumper

Mauricio Leiman is getting startedMauricio Leiman is getting startedMauricio Leiman is getting startedMauricio Leiman is getting startedMauricio Leiman is getting started

I bought my terminal there, sice ARD couldn“t supply me one
They had the GJ Hangar, Narrowbody Jetways and the metal stands. They also have the Qatar Dreamliner there.
Mauricio Leiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: