Maverick's Mighty Delta - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
RJ Captain

Maverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributor
Maverick's Mighty Delta

Lately I have been quiet on the 1/400 scale front.
This is because I have been given the chance to become the Leader of the Cold War IPMS (UK) S.I.G. and I have had to focus my attention on my other scale 1/72.
Here are a few pics of the display we had at the 2014 Telford Scale Model World Show:

So my first project for our next show in January which is Bolton will be the 1/72 Airfix Avro Vulcan B.2 in the livery XH558 had during her first post restoration flight back in 2008.
So work has commenced on the Mighty Delta!
Last night I did alot of work, added the bomb bay doors, filling and sanding so the doors dont have a huge gap and the bombs fall out , putting a ton of weight in the nose, adding the access hatch in the closed posision, glueing the 2 fuselarge sections together, glueing the 2 wings together and then glueing the wings to the fuselarge.
Next task is to fill and sand the wing joins as theres quite a large gap.
Then I can undercoat her and once my compressor arrives il begin maskibg for painting.
Here is the box art for a little taster:
https://www.wonderla...rfix/A50005.jpg
I cant believe how big this bird is!
Then again after seeing a number of B-52's, B-36's, an E-4B and an AN-124 in 1/72 scale at Telford this bird is about medium sized haha!
So last night saw the filler being applied and then sanding.

The tail boom has been added and other little bits too.

This last pic is of the test fit for the tail and cockpit windows.

Since then I have built the landing gear and they now sit dry inplace so that I can get all 3 lined up so all wheels touch the ground.
I dont know why but I am enjoying this build more than I have ever enjoyed building any other kit.
I think for me big Cold War bkmbers are the way forward.
C&c welcome as always.

Last edited by Maverick231; 12-10-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Maverick231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #2
RJ Captain

Maverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributorMaverick231 is an excellent contributor
Re: Maverick's Mighty Delta

I have now glued on the Tail and other small parts.
And now the filling and sanding is complete for now....

Wont be long before this bird is ready .
Old 12-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
RJ Captain

Well I continue to suprise myself .
I wasn't happy with the size some of the pitot tubes provided with the kit and so for the first time ever I decided to try and make my own.
I am quite happy with them .
Now all the antennae are in place including the cut down pitot tube on the top of the fuselarge.
So here is a side on view of the nose:

And here is an underside shot to see the 2 custom pitot tubes:

And here is an overview:

I know 1 of them is a tad longer but I will cut it down to size once the glue has dried.
Please let me know what you think as it is really new to me to make my own parts.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
RJ Captain

The Big V has had primer applied, I was unsure on how the filler had set so I built up the layers of paint to bridge the tiny gap between the Wings and fuselarge and it seems to have worked.

This is were I am up to.
More progress will be posted once I have found an adapter that fits my airbrush and compressor.
C&c welcome as always.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Masur

Qupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributorQupax is a good contributor

this looks really cool i eventually want to get a couple of large scale fightersbut for now i need to focus on Gse, 1:400 planes, and jetways. eventually!
Qupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
ATP Captain

Conventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobby

This looks really nice but very huge , I believe I will stay with my 1/72 WWII fighters, lol
Old 01-18-2015, 06:34 AM   #7
RJ First Officer

Vipu88 is getting startedVipu88 is getting startedVipu88 is getting startedVipu88 is getting startedVipu88 is getting started

This is one magnificent beast! Do you have any other pictures of your collection? I really love the 1/72 scale warplanes but since I lack the skills to put them together myself, I buy only the diecast ones.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
RJ Captain

Thanks guys!
Yeah I have pics of them all, il post them soon.
I thaught that when I started but Iv slowly got better, the way I think is I do my models the way I want them.
I like and really appreciate others giving their opinions and comments especially if its good but I make my models the way I want them as its my shelf there sitting on .

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: