Some WWII Fighters in 1/72 - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #61
Take Me Back

Speedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 48 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Some WWII Fighters in 1/72

I want a Hurricane model now. Sadly, ever since my Airfix Spitfire MK I build I have never completed a model... I nearly finished a BF109, quit. I finished 99% of an Italeri Spitfire MK VI then quit. Got 80% of an Airfix Spitfire V done then quit. I started a B17 then quit. Same goes for a FW190 A8 which I got stuck on with paint. I do not want to waste anymore money on something I will never finish...

"Freedom is Merely Privilege Extended Unless Enjoyed by One and All"
Speedbird 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #62
ATP Captain

Conventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 48 View Post
I want a Hurricane model now. Sadly, ever since my Airfix Spitfire MK I build I have never completed a model... I nearly finished a BF109, quit. I finished 99% of an Italeri Spitfire MK VI then quit. Got 80% of an Airfix Spitfire V done then quit. I started a B17 then quit. Same goes for a FW190 A8 which I got stuck on with paint. I do not want to waste anymore money on something I will never finish...
Yes sometimes it can get frustrating if something does not fit or it just does not make fun, I had this feeling with a few short run kits where I though the final result would be unsatisfiying. In the end I sticked to it and finished it, and it turns out ok. Just remember you make the model for yourself and not for a contest - nobody would judge the final result.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #63
ATP Captain

Conventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobbyConventi is a legend of the hobby

The Heinkel He 280 was the first jet fighter aircraft in the world, but it never reached operational status due to ongoing technical problems. In August 1939 the first jet aircraft ever, the Heinkel He 176, made it first flight. Realizing the potential of jet propulsion, the Heinkel works immediately began development of a two-engine fighter aircraft. It was a very ambitous and prestigious work for the company, as it was known at the time that other German companies (Messerschmitt, Junkers, BMW) were also working on jet aircraft and engine designs and Heinkel wanted to be the first to have it ready.

The airframe was finished in the summer of 1940 but it could only be used for unpowered gliding tests at the time – the jet engines, the He 8s (developed in-house by Heinkel) were not ready for flight testing. It was March 1941 when the first powered flight of the He 280 took place (a full year before the Messerschmitt Me 262 !). It was a success but the plane and the engines were far from combat ready. The engines still lacked power and hat serious reliability problems. Re-designs were necessary and it took almost another year until the next test flights could be performed. Heinkel´s technological head start now had completely vanished. By this time the RLM (the German Air Ministry) lost patience with Heinkel and demanded that the He 280 should be tested with other engine designs, namely the Junkers 004 and the BMW 003 jet engines. But these new engines were also not ready yet for field use and adapting the He 280 to these much larger engines was difficult. In the end, after many delays by Heinkel, the RLM cancelled the Heinkel He 280 in late 1943. Messerschmitt was now in the run for the first operational jet fighter, the Me 262.

In direct comparison, the Me 262 was the better aircraft as it had superior flight performance. The He 280 experienced tail vibrations at high speeds and a new conventional tail would have to be designed for a serial production. In the end, nine He 280 were build and some of them were later used as test platforms. By the end of the war all airframes were broken up and is it believed the Russians picked up what was left of them.

While the He 280 was ultimately a failure, it was also one important milestone in aviation: it was the first aircraft ever equipped with an ejection seat. This model depicts prototype aircraft V3, first flown by Heinkel test pilot Fritz Schäfer in the summer of 1942.

Another “exotic” aircraft so this has to be a short run kit, of course. This time from RS Models. The usual fitting & molding problems of these kits aside, I had one annoying issue with this one, no info about the needed nose weight was provided so I installed not enough weight and the aircraft ended up as a tailsitter I re-opened parts of the front fuselage and filled it with little metal pellets.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #64
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

That aircraft actually doesn't look too bad. It's got some interesting history behind it.
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #65
ATP Captain

Before the „Zero“, there was the „Claude“. Introduced in 1935, the Mitsubishi A5M was the first aircraft carrier-based monoplane figher aircraft in the world and the predecessor of the famous Mitsubishi A6M Zero.

Like the Zero, the Mitsubishi A5M “Claude” (“Claude” was the allied reporting name) was designed by Jiro Hirokoshi. It was similar to other first-generation fighter monoplanes of the time; a fixed gear was used to save weight and the cockpit was still open – a version was build with closed cockpit but this was hated by the pilots and abandoned soon. The all-metal fighter was one of the first aicraft to be equipped with an external drop tank, a new innovation at the time.

The Imperial Japanese Navy used the A5M with considerable success in the Sino-Japanese War. The nimble Claude was superior to most of the Russian designed- aircraft it encountered during the conflict; only the Polikarpov I-16 was somewhat equal. By the time of the attack on Pearl Harbor the Claude was already outdated and largely withdrawn from frontline service and replaced by the Zero. The Allied only had brief encounters with the A5M; by 1941 it was used primarly as a trainer aircraft. No surviving aircraft is known to be in existence today.

The model depicts the rather colorful A5M4 W-102 flown by Petty Officer Matsuo Hagiri of the Soryu carrier group in summer 1939. Hagiri ended the war as an ace with 14 victories.

The kit is from Fujimi and a really good one. Too bad Fujimi kits are somewhat hard to get outside Japan as they have no worldwide distribution. Ebay of course is always a good source.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:40 AM   #66
ATP Captain

The dive bomber Douglas SBD Dauntless is mostly known for it´s crucial role in the Battle of Midway in 1942; this large naval battle was the turning point in the Pacific War. While the torpedo bombers failed in their task, the daring Dauntless pilots delivered the deadly blows that sunk most of the Japanese carriers in this battle; a loss the Japanese Navy never recovered from. In fact, the Dauntless was responsible for sinking more Japanese ships than any other Allied aircraft in the war.

The crews liked the Dauntless; it was sturdy, nimble and easy to fly. For a dive bomber, it carried a respectable offensive & defensive arnament that even could engage enemy fighters, if necessary.

It stayed in active service longer as anticipated – the successor, the more powerful Curtiss SBC Helldiver, experienced serious teething problems and entered service with much delay. Even then many crews preferred the Dauntless over the troubled Helldiver. A land-based version for the US Army Air Force, the A-24 Banshee, was introduced later and also delivered to the Free French Air Force in Europe.

This kit is from Airfix. The mould is from the 1960s and has been re-issued many times. It´s pretty basic for today´s standards so I decided to “pimp” it up a bit. One of the prominent features of the SBD are the large dive brakes; I spend a few hours drilling out the holes (what fun !) and cut the brakes out to display them in raised position. I applied rather heavy weathering and paint chipping to get a battle-worn look. I discarded the decals from Airfix and used different ones from Printscale. The model represents an SBD-3 that was stationed on the USS Lexington, a carrier that was sunk in the Coral Sea Battle im May 1942. Apparently the pilot recorded seven kills. The kit itself is OK and it looks like a Dauntless; of course there are more detailled kits out there but the Airfix costs around 8-10 Euro. Cannot do wrong with this one.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #67
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

A very nice build there, Michael. The one question that i have is, due to the location of the kill marks, if the pilot really did get all seven kills? Or did the gunner get three of them?
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #68
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
A very nice build there, Michael. The one question that i have is, due to the location of the kill marks, if the pilot really did get all seven kills? Or did the gunner get three of them?
I believe it is four kills for the pilot and three for the gunner.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #69
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Absolutely stunning builds,do you know the translation of the writing on the fuselage of the Il-2 on page one...

1939 - 2011

Last edited by vince1159; 12-21-2015 at 09:35 AM.
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #70
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
Absolutely stunning builds,do you know the translation of the writing on the fuselage of the Il-2 on page one...
Thanks Vince ! The IL-2 was flown by the Hero of the USSR, Ivan F. Pavlov and the text reads "To the compatriot Hero of the Soviet Union Ivan Pavlov from the workers of the city of Kustanaj".

Old 01-01-2016, 05:42 AM   #71
ATP Captain

Happy new year ! It starts off with another new build.

The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk (and the subsequent versions) was the standard fighter aircraft of the USAAC at their entry into WWII in 1941. The lack of a powerful supercharger made it unsuitable for high-altitude operations; therefore the P-40 was rarely seen in the European theater but it was widely used by US and Commonwealth Air Forces in North Africa, Asia and the Pacific, where it was the first American fighter to encounter the Japanese Zeros – at the raid of Pearl Harbor in December 1941. Although the Warhawk was outclassed by the nimble Zero in low-speed dogfights, it was faster and superior in highspeed aerobatics. A very tough design that could withstand a lot of damage (unlike the fragile Zero) it proved itself in combat, although it never received the fame of the Mustang or Thunderbolt.

This kit is a new mould from Airfix (a very good one) with decals from AML. It depicts the P-40B 155-15, 15th Pursuit Sqd, based in Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. It was flown by Kenneth M. Taylor, (1919 – 2006) one of the few American pilots to get airborne during the attack. He scored two confirmed and two unconfirmed kills.

Taylor and his friend and fellow pilot George Welch (both had a long partying night before !) were able to take off under fire and engage the Japanese attackers. They had to land again soon to get new ammunition; the were able to take off again although the Japanese were already strafing the airfield. Taylor was wounded in the arm but continued fighting. In the end, he scored two confirmed kills and Welch four. Considered as some of the earliest WWII heros for the Americans, they received high military honors – but not the Medal of Honor, the highest of all, because they took off without orders.

There is a sequence in the movie “Pearl Harbor” were Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett engage the Japanese attackers after racing to their airplanes. This event is loosely based on Taylor´s and Welch´s story. Taylor himself was not a fan of the movie though, he called it “a piece of trash”.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #72
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conventi View Post
Thanks Vince ! The IL-2 was flown by the Hero of the USSR, Ivan F. Pavlov and the text reads "To the compatriot Hero of the Soviet Union Ivan Pavlov from the workers of the city of Kustanaj".

Thanks Conventi and a gorgeous looking P-40...

1939 - 2011
Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #73
ATP Captain

It is astounding how fast Aviation technology advanced in the 1930s and 1940s. Literally within a decade aircraft evolved from biplanes to jets. This also had the effect that once state-of-the-art aircraft designs were obsolete only a few years later. This is what happened to the P.11, a monoplane fighter build by the Polish state-owned aircraft manufacturer PZL in Warsaw.

When it was introduced in 1934, it was considered one of the most advanced fighter designs in the world. Based on the similar-looking P.7, it was an all-metal construction and featured the distinctive, high-mounted inverted gull wing design (named after its designer, Z.Pulawski). It was very fast for it´s time, highly maneuverable and sturdy.
This basic design was also used for later Polish designs, such as the P.24 with a closed canopy. Unfortunately Pulawski died in 1931 and this was a big blow for PZL as they lost their most talented aircraft designer – a loss they could never compensate. New aircraft designs were in development but not ready when WWII broke out.

The P.11 was still on active duty and the main fighter of the Polish Air Force when Germany invaded Poland in September 1939. By this time, the P.11 was hopelessly outdated and worn out from long service use. Nevertheless the P.11 was able to score considerable kills, mostly against German bombers but also against the much better armed and faster German fighters. This was remarkable as the P.11 was so slow it could rarely catch up with German aircraft, as they were much newer designs. But in the end Polish losses were heavy. Some captured aircraft were later used for training purposes by the German, Soviet and Romanian Air Forces. Only one aircraft survives and is now displayed at the Aviation museum in Krakow.

This kit is from Polish manufacturer Mistercraft and the mould dates back to the 1980s. It´s not very detailled and a really quick build. It depicts a unit from the 111th Fighter Sqd based in Warsaw-Okecie in 1939. A nice model I think, and i´ts fun do so something “exotic” rather than another Mustang or Spitfire.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:01 AM   #74
Master ATP Captain

What a superb little kit,the aircraft had lovely clean lines...The A5 you posted before the nose resembles a Zero but in those few years to Pearl Harbour they are worlds apart,lovely job as alwys....

1939 - 2011
Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #75
Red Eagles!

That is a very nice build, not really something you see every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conventi View Post
I have seen this several times, the insignias being in two different locations on the wings. But is that really how they were placed? Looks very odd to me.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: