Need help with misshaped plastic - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby
Need help with misshaped plastic

When putting together my 1:144 Revell MiG-29 kit something happened to misshape the plastic. I don't know if the glue is to blame or if it has somehow been exposed to heat without me knowing, but the rubber bands i used to keep the pieces together have pressed them out of shape at those specific points.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the plastic back into shape? Or is this model a write-off?

Pics can be posted if needed.
CEO of Moscow Dedovsk International Airport
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
RJ First Officer

I-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobby
Re: Need help with misshaped plastic

Can you post some pics?
It will be useful in order to give to you the right suggestion
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

I was thinking after a while that i should have done that from the start. Pics will come shortly.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Red Eagles!

Here they are:

The damage can be seen in the upper portion of the pictures.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
RJ First Officer

I-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobbyI-ALEX is a legend of the hobby

Doh.... it seems to be an excessive usage of glue!!!!
The only way that you have to fix the damage is using "milliput".

Last edited by I-ALEX; 05-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
I-ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Red Eagles!

Aargh! Having to use milliput makes this a write off...

But i honestly didn't use that much glue on the edges.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
but the rubber bands i used to keep the pieces together have pressed them out of shape at those specific points.
See if you can get a pair of clamps,that way you can adjust the pressure on the kit...

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Red Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
See if you can get a pair of clamps,that way you can adjust the pressure on the kit...
The only clamps i can find at home are those used for hanging clothes to dry. Think that might work?

Also, got any tips on how to make the plastic soft so i can adjust it without damage?

EDIT: I have tried using a blowdryer on another model in the past, but that didn't work. That wing is a complete write off.

Last edited by Flight fan; 06-03-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
The only clamps i can find at home are those used for hanging clothes to dry. Think that might work?

Also, got any tips on how to make the plastic soft so i can adjust it without damage?

EDIT: I have tried using a blowdryer on another model in the past, but that didn't work. That wing is a complete write off.
I meant clamps from a DIY or hobby shop,they're plastic with foam in the clamp and with a plastic slide on the handles so you can adjust the pressure individually...You could try warm water and a lot of patience,have you joined any forums for kits....

1939 - 2011
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Red Eagles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1159 View Post
I meant clamps from a DIY or hobby shop,they're plastic with foam in the clamp and with a plastic slide on the handles so you can adjust the pressure individually...You could try warm water and a lot of patience,have you joined any forums for kits....
Oh, i see. That kind of clamps.

Warm water might work, but i wonder if the glue will disolve... I hope not.

As for forums, i have, but i can't find the links anymore. I am however a member over at DA.C and there are quite a few kit builders that. I asked there aswell, but i can't remember getting any response.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
Polish Wings collector

tomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dog

Quote:
Here they are:

The damage can be seen in the upper portion of the pictures.
Look at the secong picture, interior of the cockpit get yellow, due to much too much glue you have used to assemble both parts of the fuselage. Unfortunately there are only two ways to repair it, both very drastic:
First way is to buy a new model and use much better adhesive, e.g.: UHU Sekundenkleber (best in mini tubes 2ml) with special tools for application (stainless steel aplicators;
Second way depend of your skills... You can use epoxy putty and try to get the shape of thge fuselage back. It is hard and long way...

Personaly, I suggest first way. Is much simple. On damaged model you can train glue application, and some parts could be spare elements for second kit.

Regarding glues/adhesives:
Remember that all product based on acethone solvent are very very agresive to plastic model kits.
Acethone is dissolving plastic material (mostly styrene or ABS) and drying by vaporation of the solvent (acethone) confirming bonding of "melted" parts.
It is much better to use cyanoacrylate adhesives, due to easy removal of them by using debonders. Moisture speed up bonding process !!!

With this kind of adhesives (cyanoacrylates) you shall be very careful, due to extremly short bonding time.
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING WHEN YOUR FINGERS/HANDS ARE WET WITH ADHESIVE.
Let the bonder dry and than gently remove it from hands/fingers.

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 09-29-2013 at 02:12 AM.
tomek-czarnyszewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Red Eagles!

I have been looking for a replacement kit. Sadly though it seems to be pretty rare. And when ever i do find one i am either broke or it's out of my pricerange.

Edit: Besides, this project has lost priority. I am trying to focus on 1:500.

Last edited by Flight fan; 09-29-2013 at 06:41 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: