Philadelphia International Airport PHL - Page 2 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #16
US Airways Enthuthiast

Diversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributor
Re: Philadelphia International Airport PHL

Well, it's been nearly a full year since I've posted anything about this airport, but it's not dead. Life got a little crazy thanks to a couple of sports teams and musicals I was involved in, and the hobby had to wait for a little while. However, life has finally calmed down, and I've been working on a redesign since Christmas break. So far, I'm incredibly satisfied with the results I've gotten designing a foil using a vector graphics program. Everything looks much cleaner, and I've been able to more faithfully incorporate elements of the real PHL, not mention the fact that I've been able to add more than 20 new gates, mostly in the domestic sections. At this point, all that remains before printing is some weathering and gate numbering details. However, I've been unable to find a print shop that fits my needs (a 4'x4' piece and a 4'x8' piece at a high quality). Does anyone have one that they've used before?

Anyways, here's the foil, and I should hopefully be able to show you the actual airport within a month if I can find a print shop

US Airways and A340-600 Enthusiast
Diversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 12:56 AM   #17
US Airways Enthuthiast

Diversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributorDiversion is an excellent contributor

I've said many times that I would try to make more frequent posts on the updates of this airport, but life keeps getting in the way, so I'm not going to make any more promises. However, I do finally have progress to show you! After more editing, I think the foil is finally done!

To test it, I've printed out a corner on normal letter sized paper, and put the pieces together, giving me about a 2 1/2' x 1 1/2' area. I personally am super pleased with the results, and hope to find a print shop and get it printed over the summer (I need to print a 4' x 8' and 4' x 4' section). That's the one thing I'm still having trouble with. I've yet to find a good print shop for that, so any suggestions are super welcome.

But enough talking, finally some pictures!

A Lufthansa 747-8i sits at its stand preparing to return to Frankfurt as Lufthansa LH 427

A UPS 757-200 waits for takeoff as 5X 1191 to Chicago Rockford

WN 1978, a 737-700 in the Maryland One livery, waits for departure to Chicago Midway

AA 668, operated by a 777-300ER, awaits departure to Tokyo Haneda

The largest visitor of the day, OZ 762, lines up for departure to Seoul Incheon

Thanks for taking a look! I hope you enjoyed!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quality of the foils looks pretty good. The overlapping parts are a point of interest: you need to pay close attention to make sure the foil looks like a whole. Tricky, but worth it in the end. Good luck on your project!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #19
US Airways Enthuthiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Quality of the foils looks pretty good. The overlapping parts are a point of interest: you need to pay close attention to make sure the foil looks like a whole. Tricky, but worth it in the end. Good luck on your project!
Yeah, that's definitely been the hardest part. I'm hoping to print it in larger sections to reduce that problem, but if I can't I need to figure out the edges better

Old 10-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #20
US Airways Enthuthiast

Well, this project isn't quite dead. I've been slowly adding to the foil when I have time, and at this point have about a third of it done! The part I've completed is the international terminal (loosely based on the real A East but with much more international traffic). Still to finish is the cargo ramp and A West, and then the domestic terminals. The pictures are with models from the morning TPAC rush. The white area is where the terminal will be, I'm still experimenting on exactly how to construct it with what materials

Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #21
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Enjoying the Runway lights and the new apron foil! Does the real PHL have this much international traffic? I would also enjoy seeing more of the RJ type traffic and some inclement weather
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 AM   #22
US Airways Enthuthiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingforUAL7521:500 View Post
Enjoying the Runway lights and the new apron foil! Does the real PHL have this much international traffic? I would also enjoy seeing more of the RJ type traffic and some inclement weather
No, not all really. That part's more imaginary and a way to show off my collection. But as I finish the domestic section, there definitely will be a lot of RJ traffic, especially US Airways/American. And inclement weather would definitely be fun to model, but also very accurate!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:36 AM   #23
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

I always enjoy viewing (and admiring) model airports due to the diversity of the fleet at each airport and yours is no exception. Another stunning and interesting airport to enjoy!!! Obviously, Emirates doesn't fly there and neither does Lufthansa with their B748s, I feel that's what collecting is all about, fantasy flights with a dash of realism which you have shown here!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #24
US Airways Enthuthiast

Unfortunately, I'm one of those chronically late posters who never manages to make consistent updates. School has been very busy, as has life. But in my free time, I decided to take the design I had begun, and increase it to a full 8'x8' layout, to maximize my space. I finally have finished it, and have a design that I'm quite happy with. It really is HUGE, with 21 widebody gates , 42 narrowbody gates, and 5 hard stands for cargo (can't forget the UPS hub at PHL). The markings more or less reflect those that can be found in parts of the real PHL, as do most of the terminal shapes and designs. However, the terminals are not stretched out in one long line like at the real airport. Also, that gross tan really is the color of the tarmac, not grey like most airports (I actually took the color straight from Google maps).

I have a created a full schedule (something I could do when bored in class). It pretty accurately reflects the American hub, with hundreds of daily flights, about half regional jets (and one Dash 8!) and half mainline planes. I have a soft spot for Delta, so I also made it a small Delta focus city, with 75 daily flights. And the international operations are greatly expanded. In terms of international flights, I modeled it more off of JFK, with almost every major international carrier present. The real PHL only has BA, Lufthansa, Qatar Airways, Icelandair, and Aer Lingus, but I have a much larger fleet, so why not build an airport that lets me show it off? The fun of modeling!

The setting is about 2015-2016, while the planes were still in a mix of the US Airways, metallic American, and new American livery. However, I'm not religious about this, and there a few planes you might see on the diorama which are more recent (Finnair A350 for example).

Anyway, enough talk. Below is the final design for the airport, and a photo of the plywood/2"x4" platform I've built for it. At this point, I'm just talking to a few print shops and figuring out who can print to the specifications (4'x8' prints that can be stepped on) I need for a reasonable price. If any of you know any print shops, I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #25
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

This is a big project--a lot of gates! I can't wait to see the progression of your airport. By the way, having the beige tarmac is a nice counterpoint to the usual grey that the rest of us use, and if that if the actual color, why not!

Keep us posted with updates!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #26
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

That looks very promising!!!
Please share with us more details, and post pics when ready!!!
Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #27
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great project, impressive layout.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #28
Earning My Wings

DiecastAirStore is flying under the radar

Love the lighting on your airport!
DiecastAirStore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: