American Airports? Help please - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Puddle Jumper

Sierra_Echo_Bravo is flying under the radarSierra_Echo_Bravo is flying under the radar
Arrow American Airports? Help please

So currently I am doing a 1:400 Sydney airport, right now Sydney has only has two American carriers operating (hopefully that will change!) and I was thinking about starting a smaller US based airport.
The issue is I have a pretty limited knowledge about US commercial aviation and was wondering what US airport would fit my criteria:

- Equal presence of the American big three (American, United and Delta)
- Healthy number of wide body international flights from both US and international carriers
- Notable presence of Latin American carriers
- Small number of low cost carriers e.g. JetBlue, Southwest

I'm leaning towards Miami airport because of the large amount of Latin American flights and Lufty A380's but the AA dominance over the airport might be a bit too much for me.

So I ask the members of W900, What is the most suitable airport for Seb?
Any held is appreciated!!

Cheers, Seb
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: American Airports? Help please

What about New York JFK and Los Angeles? Both have United, American Airlines and Delta widebodies and narrowbodies, both have many widebodies from other countries of the world.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Puddle Jumper

Sierra_Echo_Bravo is flying under the radarSierra_Echo_Bravo is flying under the radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What about New York JFK and Los Angeles? Both have United, American Airlines and Delta widebodies and narrowbodies, both have many widebodies from other countries of the world.
Thanks for your comment , LAX seems like the best fit for what I'm looking for, many aircraft that service SYD also operate to LAX, plus there are up to 5 flights per day between Sydney and Los Angeles so the hole in the wallet may be smaller for a good size collection .

Cheers, Seb

Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Line Service Technician

Southwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobbySouthwest&Blue is a legend of the hobby

Los Angeles is a "hub" for all 3 airlines. They also have numerous, if not more more than MIA, international carriers.
Southwest&Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
RJ Second Officer

Speedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dog

LAX springs to mind (epic line of widebodies from Europe and Asia, all three US carriers, and LAN 763, Copa 738 Aeromexico, Avianca, Volaris...) even though they do have quite a bit of Southwest.
Speedbird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #6
Puddle Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest&Blue View Post
Los Angeles is a "hub" for all 3 airlines. They also have numerous, if not more more than MIA, international carriers.
The amount of international traffic at LAX is definitely large. The frequency of domestic flights is also crazy, LAX must run a tight schedule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird01 View Post
LAX springs to mind (epic line of widebodies from Europe and Asia, all three US carriers, and LAN 763, Copa 738 Aeromexico, Avianca, Volaris...) even though they do have quite a bit of Southwest.
LAX's lineup of international birds at the TBIT must be quite a sight to see from the photo's I have seen, the domestic traffic definitely has variety which is awesome. Im sure Southwest can be balanced out with some JetBlue's

Thanks for you comments

Cheers, Seb
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
Gemstone Airport 1/400

ameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast icon

I would support the aforementioned LAX or JFK but also San Francisco- Although it is a fairly large UA hub, Virgin America is there and there is a bunch of LCCs. Also, there are many international carriers as well as a generous helping of Delta and American.

Just my opinion, good luck with your airport!
Andy
ameger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:01 AM   #8
RJ First Officer

MaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciatedMaxDelta is appreciated

Another one would be Las Vegas (LAS). They are not a hub for any of the big three, but they get a good amount of flights from each. Lots of European widebody flights (British Airways, Condor/Tomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic) and Asian (Korean Air) and Hawaiian. Latin America on Copa, Interjet, Volaris. Good amount of low cost (may be too big of a Southwest and Allegiant for you though)

Another smaller airport would be San Diego. Decent amount of widebody on British Airways, Hawaiian, Japan Airlines. Equal between all three big three US airlines and some Latin America on Volaris, Alaska, and Delta. May be too much Southwest tough again.

Final suggestion is Boston, which might fit your categories the best minus jetBlue's hub there. They have equal amount of big three with a good amount of widebodies on American and Delta. European widebodies include Aer Lingus, Air France, Alitalia, British, Emirates, Iberia, Lufthansa, Turkish, and like 5 more. Japan Airlines to Asia. Copa Airlines to Latin America.
www.flynci.weebly.com
MaxDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
RJ First Officer

american eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributoramerican eagle is a good contributor

Fort Lauderdale?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #10
Wings900 Team Member

mmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobbymmu69 is a legend of the hobby

If you are ready to loosen your airline requirements and want to build one of the architecturally most beautiful airports in the US, go for DEN.
mmu69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Puddle Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameger View Post
I would support the aforementioned LAX or JFK but also San Francisco- Although it is a fairly large UA hub, Virgin America is there and there is a bunch of LCCs. Also, there are many international carriers as well as a generous helping of Delta and American.

Just my opinion, good luck with your airport!
Andy
Thanks! I thought about SFO and their variety of airlines is definitely nice although rather limited in comparison to LAX, given LAX is so close but with more international carriers its a tough call between the two.

Cheers, Seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDelta View Post
Another one would be Las Vegas (LAS). They are not a hub for any of the big three, but they get a good amount of flights from each. Lots of European widebody flights (British Airways, Condor/Tomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic) and Asian (Korean Air) and Hawaiian. Latin America on Copa, Interjet, Volaris. Good amount of low cost (may be too big of a Southwest and Allegiant for you though)

Another smaller airport would be San Diego. Decent amount of widebody on British Airways, Hawaiian, Japan Airlines. Equal between all three big three US airlines and some Latin America on Volaris, Alaska, and Delta. May be too much Southwest tough again.

Final suggestion is Boston, which might fit your categories the best minus jetBlue's hub there. They have equal amount of big three with a good amount of widebodies on American and Delta. European widebodies include Aer Lingus, Air France, Alitalia, British, Emirates, Iberia, Lufthansa, Turkish, and like 5 more. Japan Airlines to Asia. Copa Airlines to Latin America.
Thanks for the thorough response!! I didn't realise San Diego had that many flights. Boston is an awesome airport from what I've seen and JetBlue seems like a solid airline although I have never flown US domestic. I think you are right about LAS, not a massive fan of Southwest and Allegiant.

Cheers, Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by american eagle View Post
Fort Lauderdale?
Thanks for your suggestion! The lack of international flights leaves me wanting more, I'm a big fan of international wide bodies

Cheers, Seb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmu69 View Post
If you are ready to loosen your airline requirements and want to build one of the architecturally most beautiful airports in the US, go for DEN.
Thanks for your comment!! It's true that my criteria may be a bit 'special' and DEN is certainly a fantastic airport but those rooftops may be quite a challenge to recreate and I am no master terminal builder

Thanks all for your comments

Cheers, Seb
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
RJ First Officer

cfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciatedcfromttd is appreciated

You could give Portland a go.

Alaska has a hub there, but Delta and United are well represented at PDX whilst AA/US is respectable. Wide body flights on Delta to AMS and NRT and Hawaiian to HNL with the A330 plus international flights to YVR and YYC on Alaska and Air Canada, plus Mexico flights to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo on Alaska and GDL on Volaris. Plus you have Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, Spirit, Virgin America, plus the cargo airlines and regular military traffic.
cfromttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
american, delta, lan, united

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: