My Airport Departures Board - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Delta Lover

DeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobby
Thumbs up My Airport Departures Board

Since I'm currently taking a programming class at my school where we use Visual Basic, I had the idea to try to program a flight information board for my model airport. I want to make it look just like the ones you see at real airports, and I'm attempting to use my small knowledge of programming to make a departures board for my Kingmont International Airport. I like Visual Basic 6.0 because it's relatively old (late 1990s) so it's pretty simple to use. If I'm successful I might eventually make an arrivals board too.

I just started, so here are some pictures of my progress:

What the board will look like

The programming code for one flight on the board

I figured out how to program it so that the flight status changes as the flight goes from boarding to departed, and I connected the board to the real time at my airport (California time) by putting a digital clock in the program.

It should take me awhile to finish it because I have over 200 departures to do, but I will post more pictures as my progress continues .

http://kingmontinternational.weebly.com
Twitter: @KIA_Airport // Instagram: kingmontinternationalairport

Last edited by DeltaDude; 09-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
DeltaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 04:49 AM   #2
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: My Airport Departures Board

Looks very interesting! Good luck with your project!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Delta Lover

DeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Looks very interesting! Good luck with your project!
Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out how to embed it on my website so everyone can view it.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Gemstone Airport 1/400

ameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast icon

Wow, just amazing! You have to share to me how to do this when you finish, I know Visual Basic and I have been figuring out how to do this for a long time.

Thanks for sharing!
ameger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Delta Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameger View Post
Wow, just amazing! You have to share to me how to do this when you finish, I know Visual Basic and I have been figuring out how to do this for a long time.

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, if you want I could copy some of my code and send it to you so you can get an idea. It's not that difficult actually - probably the hardest part was randomizing it so a flight randomly shows up as "on time" or "delayed" .

Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
Delta Lover

I have successfully finished the first section of flights from 4:15am to 8:00am - and it took me over 5 hours ! I think I have around 10 more sections to do (the last flight is at 11:15pm), so I have many more hours of programming to do . Here's a photo:

This is all the flights I can fit on one screen, but I have it programmed so that when the last flight of this section departs then this screen closes and the next section of flights opens .

Old 09-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Gemstone Airport 1/400

ameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
Thanks, if you want I could copy some of my code and send it to you so you can get an idea. It's not that difficult actually - probably the hardest part was randomizing it so a flight randomly shows up as "on time" or "delayed" .
That would be great, if you could send me the info for one flight I could figure out the rest.

Thanks much,
Andy
ameger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Delta Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameger View Post
That would be great, if you could send me the info for one flight I could figure out the rest.

Thanks much,
Andy
Sure, I'll PM you.

Also, I've finished 4 sections now, so I'm up to about 12:30pm . I still have probably 6-7 more sections to do. The good thing is it's going a little faster now since I can copy and paste a lot of the code and pictures from the previous sections.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
British Collector

64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor64jamesg is a good contributor

That is an amazing piece of work, looks excellent
64jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon

Cool. I really like your work.

Did you connect the real time clock to the program so it updates automatically?
And do you have and interface to easily change flight info without changing directly in the code or a random generator for delays etc.?

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
Delta Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64jamesg View Post
That is an amazing piece of work, looks excellent
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antesyd View Post
Cool. I really like your work.

Did you connect the real time clock to the program so it updates automatically?
And do you have and interface to easily change flight info without changing directly in the code or a random generator for delays etc.?

//Antesyd
Yes I did, there is a real time digital clock that automatically displays the current time. Also yes, I could change the flight information without directly having to change the code. I have a random generator for delays and I tested it and it worked, but it doesn't seem to be working now so I am going to have to tweak my code .

Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
1:400 Scale Collector

Haz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobby

That's really awesome, you must have spent ages on it!

Just one thing though, on a commercial airport departure board, cargo flights aren't usually displayed.
Haz Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Delta Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz Baz View Post
That's really awesome, you must have spent ages on it!

Just one thing though, on a commercial airport departure board, cargo flights aren't usually displayed.
Yeah, I know, but it's a model airport so I can do what I want .

Old 09-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Obsessed with United

United737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dogUnited737 is a top dog

This looks great! Do you think we'll see Pelter on the list anytime soon?

Types I fly: C-17 Globemaster, MC-130H Combat Talon II
United737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Delta Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by United737 View Post
This looks great! Do you think we'll see Pelter on the list anytime soon?
No, sorry . I'm not putting any fantasy flights on the board .

Tags
airport, departures board, flight information board, programming

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: