Rayo Airport/Aeropuerto de Rayo - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
people's been to space

JanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dog
Rayo Airport/Aeropuerto de Rayo

Rayo Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto de Rayo) (IATA: RAY, ICAO: TPAR) is an airport located in south Rayo Distrito that serves the country of Rayo Par, an island about 40 miles north of the Dominican Republic (north of Laguna Redonda).

About
Rayo Airport is the only airport in the country of Rayo Par. Located in the busy capital of Rayo Distrito, the airport is a busy port for the islands due to the amount of tourists it receives. The passenger numbers at the airport have been rising tremendously over the past few years, which called for a renovation of the terminal. The airport is the main method of entrance to the island, although there is one ship port in Rayo Distrito (the was previously another in Porte Sur).

About the island
Rayo was originally captured by the Spanish, whose language is now spoken on the island. The country declared its independence from Spain in the late 1800's.
Rayo has two psuedo-islands which are connected by a land bridge. Rayo Oeste, the west 'island,' is by far the most populous and has 10 districts (cities), or distritos. Rayo Este, the east 'island,' is far smaller, with only four districts. Rayo Este is also mostly mountainous.

Map of Rayo Par.

Runway
Rayo has only one runway, 9/27, and it is very short at just under 4,500 feet. The 9 end is preceded by the main highway and is surrounded by the mountains of Llano Monta˝osa. The 27 end drops off into the ocean. Runway 27 is used for landing and runway 9 is used for takeoffs. The runway was extended once, in 2007, to reach its current length.

Runway 9.

History
The airport was built in 1965 and was owned by the government of Rayo Par as a passenger airport, to complement the twice-daily ferries that ran between Santo Domingo and Porte Sur.
The airport was built with four gates, two facing east and two facing west. The terminal was on the side facing west. This configuration lasted until 2006, when passenger numbers started rising. FedEx was also interested in starting cargo flights. The terminal was demolished and the airport was closed for an eight-month period lasting until August 2007. The terminal had yet to be completed, but the airport decided to just make use of the completed section of the terminal. A cargo hangar was also built. The airport completed totaled five stands.

The five stands.

Airlines
Currently, Spirit Airlines and United Airlines are the only carriers at the airport. The government of Rayo Par purchased a 737-300 from US Airways and started it's own airline, named Rallas. Spirit flies to Fort Lauderdale, United flies to Washington-Dulles, and Rallas flies to Miami.

All three airlines
Previously, US Airways, WestJet, and Delta offered flights from Charlotte, Toronto, and Atlanta respectively.

US Airways previously offered service.

WestJet 737 taxiing for takeoff to runway 9

Delta flew 757's to Rayo, but with payload restrictions.

Cargo Terminal.

The parking lot, which has 60 spaces (including handicapped) and bus transportation to the terminal.

The view of the airport from an aircraft at the westernmost gate on the left side of the aircraft.

You can see on sign says 'Spirit' and one says 'American Airline' and there's an AA logo along with the Spirit 'digital' logo.

The Rallas 733.

The dilapidated control tower.

The main road is right beside the airport.

Highway map

Check out the Aeropuerto de Rayo!

Add your airports to the Airports of Wings900 Wiki!

Last edited by JanAir; 05-12-2013 at 09:13 PM.
JanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Captain

michael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Rayo Airport/Aeropuerto de Rayo

Very nice airport!
michael737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Gemstone Airport 1/400

ameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast iconameger is a diecast icon

Nice airport, cool run down feel and Rallas Air looks pretty sketchy!
ameger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
1:400 Scale Collector

Haz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobbyHaz Baz is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael737 View Post
Very nice airport!
Where've you been, Michael?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
people's been to space

JanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dogJanAir is a top dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael737 View Post
Very nice airport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz Baz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameger View Post
Nice airport, cool run down feel and Rallas Air looks pretty sketchy!
Thanks! Rayo is supposed to be a poorer nation
Also, I made a wiki article for it: Aeropuerto de Rayo - AirportsofWings900

Old 05-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great fantasy!
The airport is really well done, i'm especially amazed by the runway and the backtrack, it remembers me Corf¨ airport. V ery nice the photo of the Delta B757-200WL on the beacktrack position.
Bravo.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Captain

michael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobbymichael737 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz Baz View Post
I've been away but im back now
michael737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
people's been to space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Great fantasy!
The airport is really well done, i'm especially amazed by the runway and the backtrack, it remembers me Corf¨ airport. V ery nice the photo of the Delta B757-200WL on the beacktrack position.
Bravo.
Thanks!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #9
Rich Lofty, FNG

UAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dogUAL777-200ER is a top dog

The runway is very nice and I love the detailed map, however it makes me eek when I see a US 737 stripped down.
Nice job so far!
Rich
UAL777-200ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
people's been to space

Thanks! Sorry about the US 737, but I couldn't keep operating it plus I needed an airplane to start the national airline

Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Second Officer

Jonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast iconJonny_92 is a diecast icon

Very nice airport you have made there, good work. I especially like the terminal landside area and the runway. Look forward to more updates .

Visit our website at http://cityofmanchesterairp.wix.com/-cma#
or follow us on Twitter @Cityofmanairprt
Jonny_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
1/500 Dreamer

..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor..airman is a good contributor

I hate to be a kill-joy, but given the runway length you talk about, ALL those aircraft would be operating payload-restricted. Typical shortest runway lengths for those types (with the exception of a few unique points with special market characteristics) would be 1,800m as a minimum. Ironically the 757 would be one of the best as it has incredible runway performance.

Like the back-story though.
..airman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
people's been to space

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..airman View Post
I hate to be a kill-joy, but given the runway length you talk about, ALL those aircraft would be operating payload-restricted. Typical shortest runway lengths for those types (with the exception of a few unique points with special market characteristics) would be 1,800m as a minimum. Ironically the 757 would be one of the best as it has incredible runway performance.

Like the back-story though.
I know. The actual length would be about 2100ft but I think 4500 would be adequate.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
people's been to space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_92 View Post
Very nice airport you have made there, good work. I especially like the terminal landside area and the runway. Look forward to more updates .
Thanks! It's based on the one at BQN

Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
people's been to space

Some more photos:

The whole parking lot.

The cargo terminal from another angle.

The airport a few years back.

When WestJet and US Airways flew here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: