Building a proper airport out of Legos! - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
W900 Senior Member

FedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributor
Building a proper airport out of Legos!

Yes. That's right! Legos. In my opinion, the only way to get a model airport of your own design for a reasonable price is to build it out of Legos. But how does someone do this without it looking like a total piece of toy junk. Well, I finally have the answer!

Now no matter what, it's still going to look like a Lego building. The trick is to hide as many lego pegs as possible. And the more mature it looks, the more people will admire it, the more realistic it will feel.

Besides this, modern airports are cladded in glass. The model should be cladded in glass as well. This is where the mature look will come from. I have been a collector since 1998 and a W500 member since 2001. All my airplanes have been stored away under the stairs for a few years. But now that I have an idea and design I can be proud of, the planes are coming back out!

Now I origionally got the idea from the Farnsworth House lego model and just expanded on the idea about 1,000 times over!

Over the next few weeks, we will go from the simulated rendering to completetion of the model itself. For now here are a couple shots to give you the idea.

This is in 1:400 scale and Gemini Jets jetbridges will be used.

So yes, a Lego airport can look good after all!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a proper airport out of Legos!-securedownload.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-1.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-2.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-3.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-4.jpg  

Building a proper airport out of Legos!-5.jpg  

My airport progress: KDCN

Last edited by FedEx AirMaster; 10-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.
FedEx AirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: Building a proper airport out of Legos!

This is going to be stunning. Thanks for sharing your great idea!
The other Lego tip is to avoid using the bright primary color blocks such as lime green, yellow, red, etc. and stick to white, grey, and black.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
W900 Senior Member

FedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributorFedEx AirMaster is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
This is going to be stunning. Thanks for sharing your great idea!
The other Lego tip is to avoid using the bright primary color blocks such as lime green, yellow, red, etc. and stick to white, grey, and black.
Exactly! There will be a few grey's but it's mostly all white as you see here.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Looks excellent. How are you obtaining the Lego? Can you buy the specific parts you need or are you having to canabalise kits?
Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
W900 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryforest View Post
Looks excellent. How are you obtaining the Lego? Can you buy the specific parts you need or are you having to canabalise kits?
Hey furry,

We'll up till Jan2012, you could send this info to Lego and they would do all the work for you and ship everything in box. Supposedly this was highly successful but they stop claiming they failed to get the jobs done properly.

So now, using the free software where I did my renderings above, the software will automatically generate a building guide and a tally of all the pieces with part numbers.

You then go to this site to order all the parts: Pick-a-Brick

And everything comes in the mail. So far I am guessing it will cost between $150, and $200 for the virtual model I built. I will know for sure when I add up the cart. It's nearly 2,000 pieces so... maybe a helliva lot more!

EDIT: $288 with free shipping.

BTW, is Thompsons the night club still open near Castle Court? I had many a drink at that place!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a proper airport out of Legos!-capture.jpg  

Last edited by FedEx AirMaster; 10-28-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
Aviation fan

EchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobby

I really like the base of your project, very interesting Lego program and easy form to obtain the needed pieces. the terminal looks very serious. I love lego world, when was a kid did a lot of lego city. Hope your project go ahead, good luck

greetings
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Admin

furryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobbyfurryforest is a legend of the hobby

Very rude of me to forget to say, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK!!!!

Yes mate it's still on the go believe it or not. When were you last there?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #8
W900 Senior Member

Quote:
Very rude of me to forget to say, GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK!!!!

Yes mate it's still on the go believe it or not. When were you last there?
Ah! No worries! It's been a couple years. I have a few mates from Belfast but they have all moved elsewhere in the UK so hasn't really been much reason to head back up. But Thompsons was the place to be on a Fri or Sat night if we wern't driving down to DUB.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
W900 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoCharly View Post
I really like the base of your project, very interesting Lego program and easy form to obtain the needed pieces. the terminal looks very serious. I love lego world, when was a kid did a lot of lego city. Hope your project go ahead, good luck

greetings
Thanks! The purchase stage will be in a couple weeks. At the moment I am designing my own ground foils.

Last edited by FedEx AirMaster; 10-28-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Red Eagles!

Flight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobbyFlight fan is a legend of the hobby

I never thought i'd see a Lego airport that looks good. The one in Legoland is an exception, but never a home made one.
Flight fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEx AirMaster View Post
Ah! No worries! It's been a couple years. I have a few mates from Belfast but they have all moved elsewhere in the UK so hasn't really been much reason to head back up. But Thompsons was the place to be on a Fri or Sat night if we wern't driving down to DUB.
It's still a dive but for some reason everyone ends up there! If you ever make it back over ill take you out for a few jars in Belfast and take a trip down memory lane
Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
W900 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight fan View Post
I never thought i'd see a Lego airport that looks good. The one in Legoland is an exception, but never a home made one.
We'll once all is said and done, I will post the building plans for whoever may want to build can have it. I'll likely sell the custm ground foil for it as well. As my space is very limited, there only will be the center taxiway present and some grass areas. This terminal is designed to support 8 narrow body aircraft and 6 wide body aircraft at the same time. Here are some of the foils I am putting together. I think the more realistic the ground, the more realistic the lego biulding will come off as well.

There won't be any runways. No room
Attached Thumbnails
Building a proper airport out of Legos!-1.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-2.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-3.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-4.jpg  

Old 10-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
W900 Senior Member

Quote:
It's still a dive but for some reason everyone ends up there! If you ever make it back over ill take you out for a few jars in Belfast and take a trip down memory lane
You got it!

Old 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
W900 Senior Member

My custom foil so far. Here we see the center section with the narrow body gates with taxiway in the center. I also added a low res printout to get an idea. The final version will be done on professional paper at a photolab.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a proper airport out of Legos!-untitled.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-999.jpg   Building a proper airport out of Legos!-securedownload.jpg  

Last edited by FedEx AirMaster; 11-02-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Cleared to land runway 27

Mikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributorMikeport is an excellent contributor

Loving the ground foils! They look so good!
Looking forward to see how this project ends. I fully support the use of Legos for our hobby, as long as you carefully choose the pieces, colors, hide lego pegs..etc you can end up with a realistic looking terminal.

That software looks neat!

I am using a similar construction toy called Tente for my upcoming diorama:

Tente (toy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They even had a line for making a miniature city diorama:

No need to say, I will avoid bright colors too.
Mikeport is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: