My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Earning My Wings

kmjaber is flying under the radar
Wings900 My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)

Hello,

I'm attempting my first try at a model airport! I have in mind what I typically want and a theme but I found that creating a foil is hard for the buildings and design that I'm using. I was lucky to grab a bunch of Herpa model buildings at an awesome price so I'm using several curved buildings with two hexagon style end terminals. I'm also going to have a cargo area and a tower building. What I found really difficult is how to start on my ground foils and how to accomodate the hexagon terminals.

My theme is a Persian Gulf fictional airport with a large cargo area. So lots of arab airlines (mostly Etihad and Gulf Air) plus several cargo aircraft ranging from 757's to AN-225

Thanks,

KJ
Attached Thumbnails
My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000149.jpg   My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000150.jpg   My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000153.jpg   My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000155.jpg  
kmjaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby
Re: My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)

The terminal layout looks wonderful with all the jetways. Can't wait to see a base foil.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
banned

Brussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributorBrussels Airlines is an excellent contributor

This looks great!
Brussels Airlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
RJ Captain

MiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dogMiniRyan is a top dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjaber View Post
Hello,

I'm attempting my first try at a model airport! I have in mind what I typically want and a theme but I found that creating a foil is hard for the buildings and design that I'm using. I was lucky to grab a bunch of Herpa model buildings at an awesome price so I'm using several curved buildings with two hexagon style end terminals. I'm also going to have a cargo area and a tower building. What I found really difficult is how to start on my ground foils and how to accomodate the hexagon terminals.

My theme is a Persian Gulf fictional airport with a large cargo area. So lots of arab airlines (mostly Etihad and Gulf Air) plus several cargo aircraft ranging from 757's to AN-225

Thanks,

KJ
The terminals layout is very nice! The curve in the concourse is very pleasing to the eye.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Як-40 Капитан

LOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobbyLOT 737-300 is a legend of the hobby

People can say what they want about the herpa buildings, these days, I personally think they are ok.

With that said, I like how you used your mind to find another great config for them.

Making the ground foil can be tough, but once you find a technique that works for you, I'm sure you'll be most impressed with the results. I mean, there are so many techniques that have been posted all over the forum, you shouldn't have an issue finding something.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

I like how you decided to create the terminal, a piece of art and fantasy. Well done.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Earning My Wings

Thanks for all the positive comments ... @LOT 737-300 I thought the same about the Herpa buildings but I think a little of custom made signs and decals can help ;-) I'm working on creating a ground foil "as I'm typing" but my problem is that I'm live in a condominium and space is -though spacious- is limited. I'm thinking of 60" x 60" roughly 1.5 meters x 1.5 meters. It will be crated on a 2 x (30" x 60") thick styrofoam 0.5" thick boards. I'm using Adobe Illustrator to create the foils (I'm an Illustrator somewhat of an expert user) and have access to a plotter. Though finding time has been my biggest challenge!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Earning My Wings

I found that free time is almost non-existent lately so my progress has been slowwww on my airport! I did however, construct my first narrow body hanger out of a cardboard paper model (1:500 scale) that I decided to reinforce with Balsa wood. Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000172.jpg   My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000182.jpg   My first attempt at a model Airport (1:500 scale)-wp_000180.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Boeing 777-300ER

Cathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributor

Awesome!!!
Collecting 1:500
Cathaypacific251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
RJ Captain

NKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciatedNKLSP is appreciated

Can't wait to see your airport! I love middle eastern airliners!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Planes Maniac ;-)

OD-ZIAD is flying under the radarOD-ZIAD is flying under the radar

Can i ask please from where you got the cardboard hanger. it looks indeed nice.loved it.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Earning My Wings

@OD-ZIAD, I found them on the following URL for $7 Model Airport Airplane Hangar Kit | Airport Diorama Designs. I found them to be great for narrow body aircraft but not for anything larger than a 767. I'm attempting to build my own out of some Balsa wood. I'll post my pics once I have it done. Ideally, I would prefer to use the cardboard models from Airport Designs but they only ship and don't provide a digital download which I miffed about. Still, their designs are great and would probably purchase them later on.

KMJ

Tags
arabian, cargo, etihad, gulf air, herpa

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: