Charter airports encyclopedia. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.26 average.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Charter airports encyclopedia.

Hi my friends. After an awful night work in my Hospital, this morning i went to sleep and...i had a dream. A "voice" continued to told me: "Funchal, Funchal, Fuuuunchaaaallllll...", so i woke up with "Funchal" word on my lips.
And i started thinking about the project to build my Airport Model:
Madeira "Funchal" Airport!
In my mind (but in my mind only) the airport is almost complete: i know how to build the hills on one side of the runway and the sea on the other side, and the terminal also is mostly completed (ever in my mind, i think to use a box). But i need of your help, my friends: how can i build the pillars under the extended runway? And what about the Tower?
It is a very difficoult project and i have never built an airport: i'll try. Don't expect this madness for tomorrow...i need of space, time...
The last thing: i personally know David (Remoba), Bert (Cb-Customs), Sergio (PT-TAA), Lorenzo (lollomz), Dragan (AMS2006)... and i think they can give me hospitality...but when my wife will drive me out of home when she sees two plywood planks of about two meters inside the house...i please all collectors "loving" me to find me a place to stay (even the dog house is fine)...with all my 2650 (more or less) models! Thanks so much.

By the way, i wait your suggestions about this airport, every thing you want to suggest me it is welcome.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!

Last edited by Charter; 10-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Second Officer

TheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting startedTheCreater is getting started
Re: Funchal Airport

Finally the dream comes true!
I was waiting for you to start building an airport, and at last it happened!
I think, because of your case, you have to build a very maximize airport and terminal buildings.
You should have much space for aircrafts, terminal gates and taxiways.

Good Luck with this magnificent project!

Cheers!
Your Globe - Our Expertise.
TheCreater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
BM - The Diamond Service

rosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dogrosshallam is a top dog

WOW! That will be amazing! Good Luck!!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Can't wait to see this,if your dedication to this is the same as your fleets Charter,this should be a sight to behold...
vince1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
ATP Captain

bmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dogbmibaby737 is a top dog

Good Luck on the airport!, As its been said by vince, If its as good as your fleet building, It will be fantastic!
Old 10-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Thanks for your encouragement! I am collecting photos and material from internet to have a more accurate view of the airport, then i am beginning to take measures of the airport: runway, apron, terminal, to try to create a 1:500 scale model. Maybe i will have a problem with the part of runway over the sea...but i hope to solve it. The good news is that my wife will help me!
I have just ordered some airport accessories from ACB...so the project is starting.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.

Last edited by Charter; 10-22-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
First Officer

FrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast iconFrenchWings06 is a diecast icon

Way to go Alessandro...
I figured that with your wife's hobby she would be able to help you.
I am sure that you will build an amazing airport!
Can't wait to see the finished product!!
FrenchWings06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Rex
W900 Team Member

Rex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobby

Hey Charter, Good choice, Funchal's design is exciting due to its proximity to the sea and onto the hillside. If you need help with anything, just pm me.

IFFG - Infinite Flight Fan Group
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchWings06 View Post
Way to go Alessandro...
I figured that with your wife's hobby she would be able to help you.
I am sure that you will build an amazing airport!
Can't wait to see the finished product!!
Thanks my friend, i am excited too. And my wife could help me very well, especially painting the runway, the apron, the terminal, the hill on one side and the sea on the other side...it will be a very hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Hey Charter, Good choice, Funchal's design is exciting due to its proximity to the sea and onto the hillside. If you need help with anything, just pm me.
Thanks friend. If you have any idea about how to create the pillars under the 40 cm (more or less) extented runway...you are welcome. I was thinking to use toothpicks...but i don't know.

Charter airlines lover

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
The Dark Side

This is what i have in my mind:
- i will use two plywood panels of 1,5 meters x 1,5 meters: one is for the ground and the other is for the runway, the apron and, above, the terminal. The two panels will be divided from pieces of woods that will be the thickness, because this particular airport has part of its runway ( runway 23, 200 meters more or less = 40 cm in 1:500 scale) above the ground and the sea supported by 182 pillars...so i must give a good thickness between the two panels. How can i build the pillars? Please help me, give me an idea. I think that the toothpicks are too small... of course i ahve to cut part of the upper panel (40 cm) to precisely create the extended runway. On the lower panel, very close to the pillars except a small strip of land, i have to paint the sea.
- Then i will paint the runway, the apron and i will put a 13-15 cm piece of wood at the end of the apron: it will be the terminal. Then i have to create the Tower (help me because i don't know how), to paint the terminal and the tower.
- Then i have to create the little hill on left side of runway 05 (the landing side of the runway).
Simple, isn't it?

But, my friends, the most difficoult thing to achieve will be:
TAP A319/320
Easyjet A319
Finnair B757-200WL
SAS B737-800
Thomson B757-200/B737-800
Viking B737-800
SATA A320/310...
...and all the airplanes we will not have in our 1:500 collection and that are a common sight in this marvellous airport!

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 10-22-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #11
Rex
W900 Team Member

Rex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobbyRex is a legend of the hobby

Toothpicks would be too thin. You might want to have a look at Evergreen scale models.
They have these perfect round rods or tubing ,hollow trough the tube at different widths. They can be easily cut and painted grey like on the image below.
Shapes

IFFG - Infinite Flight Fan Group
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
First Officer

Mr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributor

You can also use black straws

I am really looking forward to you progress..! Hopefully you put a lot of time and effort in it, as it is an amazing project
Old 10-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Toothpicks would be too thin. You might want to have a look at Evergreen scale models.
They have these perfect round rods or tubing ,hollow trough the tube at different widths. They can be easily cut and painted grey like on the image below.
Shapes

Thanks my friend, your idea has given to me an imput to create the pillars with some material i have in my Emergency Department (few material, don't worry!!!).
So here the measures:
- runway 10cm large, plus 10 cm of space on each side; the extended runway (on the sea) will be 40 cm long, while the rest of the runway will be 80 cm long (total runway length is 120 cm);
- the upper plywood panel will be divided into two parts: it will be 30 cm large for the extended, above the sea, runway (with the pillars), while it will be 60 cm large and 80 cm long for the rest part of the airport :30 cm the total runway width (10 cm + 10 cm + 10 cm) + 30 cm for the apron and the terminal (not very large);
- the taxiway will be 7 cm large (more or less);
- the lower panel will be 120 cm long and 30 cm large.

Charter airlines lover

Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. AeroMexico View Post
You can also use black straws

I am really looking forward to you progress..! Hopefully you put a lot of time and effort in it, as it is an amazing project
Thanks Bas. I think to create an entire scale project on papers tomorrow, then i wil buy the wood panels and i will begin to create the airport "skeleton" with the runway, the apron, the pillars above the extended runway.

Charter airlines lover

Old 10-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
First Officer

Mr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributorMr. AeroMexico is a good contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Thanks Bas. I think to create an entire scale project on papers tomorrow, then i wil buy the wood panels and i will begin to create the airport "skeleton" with the runway, the apron, the pillars above the extended runway.
Keep us up to date with all your progress I am really excited and curious how it will look like at the final end!

Don't worry too much about these charter airlines and TAP. Airlines like Arke, Air Berlin, Austrian, Condor, Jetairfly, Luxair, Niki, Thomas Cook, Transavia, Travel Service and TUIfly are also serving Funchal. Enough diversity to fill up your platform!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: