New Larkfield International - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
A320 F/O

daniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobby
New Larkfield International

As promised, i am now starting work on the new Larkfield International, here it is as one single small baseboard, https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...1-400-a-3.html
no fixed buildings or details, i have just stripped the old plasterboard baseboard here it is now:

To do this, i first got a scraper onto dry paper to get the top bit off, then i moistened it with a wet sponge, after this i continued with the scraper and sponge until this!
I'll post some more once i've pasted new foils... Thanks!

Last edited by daniel richardson; 05-23-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
A320 F/O

daniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobbydaniel richardson is a legend of the hobby
Re: New Larkfield International

just done:

In production, one more foil to fit (how i did it can be seen scattered around the kitchen worktop

Complete! Jetways added, terminals stuck down, paper is still a bit wrinkly from the glue, but after a couple of hours these all pretty much disappear

First visitor from British Airways, here to test taxiway width and widebody stands, it's on its way to be painted back into BA livery from the world tail, so BA obliged my request to drop in for a bit As you can see, i trimmed the excess taxiway in preparation for trimming the board down to size, there will be another 3 boards added to this diorama, one next to this one, and two behind it if you get what i mean

Close up of the grass (sand, i'm going to either spray it green or get modelling grass on top of this)

Where the taxiway painters went wrong, i have painted over the lines in white paint and but crosses over it to show inactive, crudely painted at the moment, but i will be spraying it soon

BA 744 in the widebody position, another 4 of these will be in the final piece

View down the access road, if you look at the original thread, you can see the jetway blocks are actually on the road, i have rectified this.
And that's all for now folks! Updates as they happen!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Despite all the criticism done by some "Lords" of the Forum, i think that it is always beautiful watch to all the techniques used to realize an airport. This is a nice layout; maybe, i you accept a suggestion, you should try to better lay the foil, avoiding the folds. About the grass, it seems sand and it creates a good effect.

Leisure airlines lover
Desperately needing: Blue Panorama B737W, neos B737 MAX8/B737W, easyJet A320neo/A321neo, Blue Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Enter Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Malta Air B737 MAX8, Ryanair B737 MAX8, Buzz B737 MAX8, Volotea A320/A319, Laudamotion A320, AlbaStar B737W, Jet2holidays B737W/B757W, ITA Airways A319, Vueling A319, TAP A319, Ukraine International B737W, SkyUp B737W, PLAY A321, Air Serbia A319, SkyExpress A320neo, Ural Airlines A320, Nordwind A321/B737W, Nordstar B737W, Rossiya A319/A320/B737W, Pobeda B737W, UTAir B737W, Kenya Airways B737W, Ethiopian Airlines B737 MAX8, Air Arabia A320, FlyOne A320, Tus Airways A320, LATAM A320, Avianca A320, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Southwest B737 MAX8/B737W, Volaris A319/A320, Nouvelair A320, SATA Dash 8-400, Air Europa B737W, Israir A320, JetTime B737-700WL.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Aviation fan

EchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobbyEchoCharly is a legend of the hobby

Really interesting project. You should try to better the foil, avoiding the folds (as say Charter). I love the airport distribution, and the sand is a great idea. hope that your project go ahead

Greetings!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
A320 F/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Despite all the criticism done by some "Lords" of the Forum, i think that it is always beautiful watch to all the techniques used to realize an airport. This is a nice layout; maybe, i you accept a suggestion, you should try to better lay the foil, avoiding the folds. About the grass, it seems sand and it creates a good effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoCharly View Post
Really interesting project. You should try to better the foil, avoiding the folds (as say Charter). I love the airport distribution, and the sand is a great idea. hope that your project go ahead

Greetings!
Thanks for the comments and suggestions! Naturally, i couldn't compete with either one of your creations though, they are absolutely splendid!
About the foils, the way i lay the foils, i roll them onto the wet glue, carefully pressing them down to the board as i unfurl them, it is only after about 10 seconds, when the moisture from the glue gets at the paper, do the wrinkles appear! Here it is now, (18:30) as i said, the wrinkles are pretty much all gone, only some really bad ones are left, and these can be 'sliced' and made to look like cracks in the tarmac, as per real life!

For comparison, top before, bottom after

We have a term in the UK.... Smooth as a baby's bottom
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Very good work Daniel!
P.S. We have the same term in Italy...

Leisure airlines lover
Desperately needing: Blue Panorama B737W, neos B737 MAX8/B737W, easyJet A320neo/A321neo, Blue Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Enter Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Malta Air B737 MAX8, Ryanair B737 MAX8, Buzz B737 MAX8, Volotea A320/A319, Laudamotion A320, AlbaStar B737W, Jet2holidays B737W/B757W, ITA Airways A319, Vueling A319, TAP A319, Ukraine International B737W, SkyUp B737W, PLAY A321, Air Serbia A319, SkyExpress A320neo, Ural Airlines A320, Nordwind A321/B737W, Nordstar B737W, Rossiya A319/A320/B737W, Pobeda B737W, UTAir B737W, Kenya Airways B737W, Ethiopian Airlines B737 MAX8, Air Arabia A320, FlyOne A320, Tus Airways A320, LATAM A320, Avianca A320, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Southwest B737 MAX8/B737W, Volaris A319/A320, Nouvelair A320, SATA Dash 8-400, Air Europa B737W, Israir A320, JetTime B737-700WL.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Master ATP Captain

vince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobbyvince1159 is a legend of the hobby

Something you could try is using a plastic spreader they use in bodyshops to put filler on cars...You could use it to work the air out the bubbles,great shots...

1939 - 2011

Last edited by vince1159; 05-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
A320 F/O

Few more updates Here is a test line up with the narrowbody stands and a widebody stand filled, there are two remote stands at the end, for use if the aircraft is too small for a gate, or if there is overspill, for instance, all widebody spaces are filled, so the Qatar A300 parks in a remote stand for stairs use! Can be used for 1 widebody, or 2 narrowbodies up to A310 at a time

(P.S This is before i did any of the work i'm about to show you

Place looks too clean, needs roughing up a bit Tyre marks are from after i had left the grey paint brush out painting over the white paint mess at the end, it had dried out the paint and made it powdery, yet still able to be applied to the board

And here is one of the wrinkles, i sliced it with a stanley knife along the top ridge of the wrinkle and then went over the gap with the same brush i had 'roughed up' the tarmac with, aswell as running said brush over a pritt stick to glue it all down!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
Delta Lover

DeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobbyDeltaDude is a legend of the hobby

This looks fantastic! I'm loving the layout so far and can't wait to see more .

http://kingmontinternational.weebly.com
Twitter: @KIA_Airport // Instagram: kingmontinternationalairport
Old 05-24-2012, 03:14 AM   #10
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

Sorry Daniel. Just saw your great layout.
The only way to avoid the simple A4 printable paper from giong soft and bumpy when gluing on the wooden surface would be, firstly gluing it (with less glue) on a cardboard sheet same size as your wood panel, and then apply that cardboard sheet on the panel. The cardboad will not be so sensitive to deform when the glue mass is put on it.

Other than that you have done a miraculous job setting those paper terminals up! I know it is not a very easy job.
Well done!!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Polish Wings collector

tomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dog

Hi Daniel,
nice layout you made there. Congratulations.
Talking about glue, you don't need to use "wet" glue for this job.
There are many glues in spray, like 3M No.67 Spray Adhesive, which give you very good adhesion between paper-paper or paper-wood. I also use it to paper-acrylic plate and it works very well.
One advice: after spraying the spray adhesive on the surface, just wait about 10-15 seconds and than place the sheet on position. You will have about 30 second to adjust every one sheet. As long as you not press the sheet well to the surface, it is easy to remove. And this kind of glue didn't left glue marks on the surface, remember only to spray whole surface before you start to glue layout sheets.
For terminal buildings, as they must have stronger lower part use thick paper. Only for walls, the roof is better to do from standard - plain paper. Of course best results you will get by printing it on laser printer, as on inkjet. Laser printed elements are not much sensible on moisture - which can destroy the inkjet prints.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Boeing 777-300ER

Cathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributorCathaypacific251 is an excellent contributor

WOW! Your airport is just better and better!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
A320 F/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDude View Post
This looks fantastic! I'm loving the layout so far and can't wait to see more .
I am buying more plasterboard end of this month and the month after that i am buying more GSE and jetways to complete the diorama so keep on checking back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
Sorry Daniel. Just saw your great layout.
The only way to avoid the simple A4 printable paper from giong soft and bumpy when gluing on the wooden surface would be, firstly gluing it (with less glue) on a cardboard sheet same size as your wood panel, and then apply that cardboard sheet on the panel. The cardboad will not be so sensitive to deform when the glue mass is put on it.

Other than that you have done a miraculous job setting those paper terminals up! I know it is not a very easy job.
Well done!!!!!
Whenever i try and glue, i always make sure that i put one dollop (about 2cm square, and then spread it as thinly as i can do about the area that i am pasting the foil to, about the cardboard idea, it sounds like a very good one! I will try it out and see what results i get, i tried it once before on a cereal box cut out and it started curling up at the edges after about half an hour :/ Thank you for the suggestions though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek-czarnyszewicz View Post
Hi Daniel,
nice layout you made there. Congratulations.
Talking about glue, you don't need to use "wet" glue for this job.
There are many glues in spray, like 3M No.67 Spray Adhesive, which give you very good adhesion between paper-paper or paper-wood. I also use it to paper-acrylic plate and it works very well.
One advice: after spraying the spray adhesive on the surface, just wait about 10-15 seconds and than place the sheet on position. You will have about 30 second to adjust every one sheet. As long as you not press the sheet well to the surface, it is easy to remove. And this kind of glue didn't left glue marks on the surface, remember only to spray whole surface before you start to glue layout sheets.
For terminal buildings, as they must have stronger lower part use thick paper. Only for walls, the roof is better to do from standard - plain paper. Of course best results you will get by printing it on laser printer, as on inkjet. Laser printed elements are not much sensible on moisture - which can destroy the inkjet prints.
Yes, the prints are done on matte photo paper from an inkjet printer, so have a high quality, but are thicker than standard paper, i will definitely try that 'dry' glue idea if i can find some! Thank you for the suggestions and comments! Is that how you managed to get your airport layout as one perfect flat area? It's extremely well constructed if i may say so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathaypacific251 View Post
WOW! Your airport is just better and better!
Thankyou!
Old 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
ATP Captain

mike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobbymike21 is a legend of the hobby

Looking very good mate look forward to next update's
Freight aircraft lover.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
RJ First Officer

ba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dogba319 is a top dog

Looking really good I look forward to your updates ! Keep up the good work the reconstruction is going very well ! May have to increase the frequencys between our airports
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: