Danzig Flughafen 1936 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Polish Wings collector

tomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dog
Danzig Flughafen 1936

Welcome all community,
slowly is coming time to post my airport pictures.
This is not easy for me, because it is my first job, from desing stage up to final product.
The dioramam is still not ready, due to lack of photo archive from 1936. As you very well know many things gone during the last days of the WW2. Also Gdansk was not free from this big losses.
Coming back to the subject, my idea was to make Danzig Flughafen diorama from 1936.
Why 1936? Because in that year big airship Graf Zeppelin has visited the airport. Also because I'm from gdynia, which is just one stone trow from Gdansk.

As first one I want to present for all of you main terminal building. Photos shown paper model, made just for me, to get better understanding of airport layout. I'm not designer and all drawing are made in Excel, which is not the perfect tool for those items. I know, but I don't have time to learn how to use Photoshop or Corel.

The next will be hangar buiding, I hope to be ready before Christmas.
Photos:
1) Original view - German postcard
2) Backside of the terminal building
3) Front side of the terminal building
Model is not well glue, just stiched together by using self-adhesive tape after beeing cut from standard paper. Printed on LaserJet printer.

Any comment are welcome - doesn't matter good or bad.
I also like to ask you, if you have any photos from this airport (1936) please contact me.
Attached Thumbnails
Danzig Flughafen 1936-lotnisko-we-wrzeszczu-03.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-p1070319small.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-p1070323small.jpg  

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 12-03-2010 at 01:29 AM.
tomek-czarnyszewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
ATP Captain

Antesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast iconAntesyd is a diecast icon
Re: Danzig Flughafen 1936

Really nice. But at least use publisher it is a little more suited.
I like the subject. Especially as I am reading a book about what happened in Danzig 1939...

//Antesyd

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex… It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” – - Albert Einstein

The latest arrivals:
*Herpa Norwegian, United, Qatar and China Southern B787, 1:500
*Herpa BA A380, 1:500
*Sky500 Cebu Pacific A330 1:500

Antesyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

Sounds like a GREAT idea... to create a Diorama of a specific event... havin the Zeppelin hovver over the airport! The building looks great as a draft, but it need some reality coloring. The brown bricks and the windows. All in all you look like you are in a great path...
Also a good candidate for the 2010 Airport awards if you get more things done even in preview basis!
Lest see some more!
ALEXAKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Polish Wings collector

tomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dogtomek-czarnyszewicz is a top dog
Of course, all building will be build as "color" version. I can't say the colors will be exactly like in 1936, but at least similar. It is due to lack of color photos from that time. From documents, I collected up to now, it looks that the terminal was build from yellow bricks and was partially covered by plaster (I don't know is it correct name for the covering). Hangar was build from red bricks and wooden roof structure. Now, I try to find printer which can print as much as exact the texture of bricks. After it I would like to glue it to before cut plastic elements. Roof will be painted with matt black paint.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
sba757 was here too :)

Kris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dog

Very good Tony! Now what planes are going to be there? Can't wait to see the finished product!

sba757 was here =D
Kris Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Polish Wings collector

Planes, hmm... good question.

I would like to "install" there, two Junkers Ju-52, one from Lufthansa and one from AeroLloyd Danzig. The last one will custom model. On other hand it will be very nice to put there LOT Polish Airlines, but they got the first one in... 1938.
I'm also looking for someone, who can do for me Junkers Ju-13 in Lufthansa, LOT Polish Airlines and Danziger Post colors. Photos I have, some of them even in color.

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 12-14-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
Polish Wings collector

Next photo show the shape of the terminal building made from ABS (0,5mm thick). After fixing of the roof, small roof-houses will be added.
Attached Thumbnails
Danzig Flughafen 1936-p1070441small.jpg  

Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I like your choice of a historic airport in Poland. Your construction looks very neat and clean! By the way, all of my mom's side of the family comes from the Gdansk area (the other side is from Poznan and Warsaw). Keep up the good work. Yours truly, Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Polish Wings collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I like your choice of a historic airport in Poland. Your construction looks very neat and clean! By the way, all of my mom's side of the family comes from the Gdansk area (the other side is from Poznan and Warsaw). Keep up the good work. Yours truly, Pete

Many thanks for your nice words.
I have a lot of time, because I'm now in China and all my models left home - in Poland.
My idea is to have this small diorama (60x35cm) as much as possible realistic. I collect all possible photos, I can find in Internet, about this airport at the time I want to make it - 1936. I have small model of Graf Zeppelin in 1/489 scale - according to measurements. Which is so close to ur scale, that I have decide to make diorama for this model.
To make it almost done, I have to do two buildings and a lot of grass area. Small asphalt roads and apron made from concrete plates with small taxiway. Terminal building is almost complete now. I will post new photos soon, when I'll got new camera - old one is broken.

Please, pass my great regards to your parents, specially your mom. Gdańsk is very close to Gdynia, where I'm living.

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 12-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Polish Wings collector

Today, I want to show layout of the airport.
Left half is the "working" area of the airport, while right half is... the grass -> airfield with grass rynway only.
Attached Thumbnails
Danzig Flughafen 1936-diorama-do-grafa-zeppelina-1936.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8038small.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8042.jpg  

Old 01-13-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great efforts Tomek, for a great work: it is really a good idea to build a "theme" airport, with a real history; and, also if is not finished, i like the landscape. Beautiful work Tomek!!!

Charter airlines lover
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #12
sba757 was here too :)

Kris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dogKris Air is a top dog

I have to agree with Alessandro you are doing an amazing job epically how its theme!

sba757 was here =D
Kris Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
Polish Wings collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Great efforts Tomek, for a great work: it is really a good idea to build a "theme" airport, with a real history; and, also if is not finished, i like the landscape. Beautiful work Tomek!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Air View Post
I have to agree with Alessandro you are doing an amazing job epically how its theme!

Many thanks gentelments for your nice words, they make me stronger to finish this project as soon as possible and present it to open public of our community.

I have change the base material to stainless steel 2mm plate. On top I will tape selfahhesive paper and this will be the base material for all other layouts: apron, short concrate taxiway and of course grass airfield.
I have, here in Cina, problems to find fine grass for modelers, but I'm hard working on it. Maybe I wll use H0 or N size grass and use shaver to reduce the high of it. Sound stipid but it could work... we will see.

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 01-14-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
Polish Wings collector

And finally, first photos of almost ready terminal building as it suppose to look
You can see the size of terminal building and one of the roof-houses for tower control room.

On two added photos the terminal is almost ready, the roof is not fixed yet - need some ajustement - and one of the houses is shown under construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8067.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8068.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8070.jpg   Danzig Flughafen 1936-dscf8072.jpg  

Last edited by tomek-czarnyszewicz; 01-20-2011 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Upload of photos
Old 01-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
Just give me wings!

ALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobbyALEXAKOS is a legend of the hobby

great work tomek and good job supporting thise corners!
I know you are quite progressed but I have a little detail to add.
Your windows are "negative". If you look at the original photo, the window frame is white (white painted wooden windows at that time) and the glass black (cause its usualy darker inside a building.) In your diorama, the glass is white and the fame black. It takes away from the whole realism effect. It seems like you are about to make a GREAT looking diorama, and I am afraid that this little detail may spoil the whole effort!
Sorry if I discouraged you in any way...
ALEXAKOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: