1:500 Helsinki Airport (HEL) – Terminal 2 Expansion: “South Wing” (2017) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
><><><><><><><

Supersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting started
1:500 Helsinki Airport (HEL) – Terminal 2 Expansion: “South Wing” (2017)

Earlier this year I was able to couple sufficient time with a spark of motivation to finally realize a model capturing Helsinki Airport. Here is the result of a project that I had been wanting to do for several years.

Background:

As part of a major development programme, Helsinki Airport has undergone massive changes including the construction of an underground railway station which directly connects the airport to the city centre (2015) and a centralized departure and arrivals hall (2021). However, by far the most exciting development has been the expansion of the non-Schengen area in Terminal 2 which hosts most wide-body aircraft at HEL.

The expansion of T2 includes the construction of the two piers called the “South Wing” and the “West Wing”. The South Wing (2017) is a smaller and shorter pier featuring 3 wide-body gates that partially replaces an older section of T2. The West Wing (2019) is a significantly larger and longer pier featuring 9 wide-body gates that extends into a new direction away from the existing T2 building. The expansion doubled the number of gates for wide-body aircraft at HEL.

Reference Material:

While I would have loved to capture the entire T2 expansion featuring both the West Wing and South Wing, this was out of the question since the space that I could dedicate to displaying/storing the model was less than 80 x 60 cm. As a result, I narrowed the scope of the project to focus on the South Wing portion of the expansion. This was perfect because the length of the South Wing is only around 190m meaning it was possible to not only capture the entire pier, but also the immediate surroundings with the space that I had available.

Aerial view of Helsinki Airport from 2017. The area captured by the model is shown by the yellow circle.

Close -up aerial view of the South Wing and area captured by the model. The South Wing is operational at the time of the photo, but notice the ongoing construction to the left, blue site office containers etc

As shown in the images above, the ongoing construction is a prominent feature in the immediate surroundings of the fully operational South Wing. In addition, other adjacent features include buildings for GSE, an Aviation college, a parking lot, and public roads. Finally, adding in a beautiful line-up of Finnair wide-bodies parked on the apron makes for a rather interesting and diverse scene which I was very excited to try and capture.

Here are some images from Google using the 3D mapping tool which give a great understanding of both the shape of the South Wing and its immediate surroundings. 3D imagery combined with the typical aerial images provided by Google Maps offers an invaluable source of reference revealing details that would otherwise not be possible to observe from visiting the site, photographs etc.

A good overview shot showing the environment surrounding the South Wing.

If you stand on the parking lot in the bottom left-hand corner, you will almost be face to face with wide-body aircraft parked at gate 55.

Here is a good view showing the construction immediately to the left of gate 53. The skeleton of a portion of the West Wing’s structure connecting to the South Wing is visible.

There is also an interesting area “behind” the South Wing featuring blue construction containers, construction materials and a yard for storing baggage containers/GSE.
Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2021, 05:14 AM   #2
><><><><><><><

Supersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting startedSupersonic is getting started
Re: 1:500 Helsinki Airport (HEL) – Terminal 2 Expansion: “South Wing” (2017)

Results

Old 07-05-2021, 05:23 AM   #3
><><><><><><><

Old 07-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Whoa! That looks really, really neat! The work on the glass is lovely, the details in the construction on the support building surrounding the terminal is outstanding and the beautiful Finnair fleet complements the scenery!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #5
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Wow, what a fantastic job! Amazing attention to details. Congratulations, really beautiful stuff!

This diorama remind me of Speedbird01 creations... he creates very detailed dioramas aswell
Old 07-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

MASTERPIECE!!! Congratulations, an amazing layout.
I am happy for you for the announcement of the Finnair A321WL, a couple of models will perfectly fit in this beautiful airport.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
RJ Second Officer

Cumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributor

Fantastic work. So realistic and great design.
Bravo!
Cumpleanos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
First Officer

klm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributor

Very nice looking piece of airport.. Like everything.. What do you use for the green glass..??
Old 07-08-2021, 02:03 AM   #9
Earning My Wings

EHAM Aviation is getting startedEHAM Aviation is getting startedEHAM Aviation is getting startedEHAM Aviation is getting startedEHAM Aviation is getting started

Looks very awesome especially the terminal-congrats good job
EHAM Aviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:36 AM   #10
RJ Second Officer

Cumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributorCumpleanos23 is a good contributor

Where did you get the trees? and in what scale?
Cumpleanos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:59 AM   #11
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby

Fantastic concept.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:14 AM   #12
lightsaberoperator

pooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast iconpooohaty is a diecast icon

Fantastic job.
I like the realistic, polished up sceneries.
I appreciate the huge effort made to achieve such an amazing effect.
In this case the greenery and the glass imitations should be commended in particular.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #13
><><><><><><><

Hi and apologies for the late response!

Quote:
DutchCollector
Whoa! That looks really, really neat! The work on the glass is lovely, the details in the construction on the support building surrounding the terminal is outstanding and the beautiful Finnair fleet complements the scenery!
Quote:
Cumpleanos23
Fantastic work. So realistic and great design.
Bravo!
Quote:
EHAM Aviation
Looks very awesome especially the terminal-congrats good job
Quote:
ThomsonAirways737
Fantastic concept.
Quote:
pooohaty
Fantastic job.
I like the realistic, polished up sceneries.
I appreciate the huge effort made to achieve such an amazing effect.
In this case the greenery and the glass imitations should be commended in particular.
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
LeoMuse747
Wow, what a fantastic job! Amazing attention to details. Congratulations, really beautiful stuff!

This diorama remind me of Speedbird01 creations... he creates very detailed dioramas aswell
Thank you very much! Also, Speedbird01’s work is absolutely epic. Very inspirational!

Quote:
Charter
MASTERPIECE!!! Congratulations, an amazing layout.
I am happy for you for the announcement of the Finnair A321WL, a couple of models will perfectly fit in this beautiful airport.
Thank you very much! Yes, I am very excited to add the upcoming Finnair 321WL to the airport. Hopefully Herpa releases more Finnair models in the future!

Quote:
klm.b777
Very nice looking piece of airport.. Like everything.. What do you use for the green glass..??
Thank you very much! The “glass” is called “metallikartonki” in Finnish which roughly translates to “metal cardboard paper” in English. It is basically a A4 size sheet of cardboard paper that has a glossy reflective surface giving a glass-like appearance. Unfortunately finding this type of cardboard paper in realistic colors for example, such as green in this case can be very difficult. Believe it or not, I have been trying to find black colored metal cardboard paper for over 7 years without any success! In case you are interested, here is a link to a Finnish arts and crafts store called Sinelli which sells assortments of metal cardboard paper including the color green that I used in this model. https://www.sinelli.fi/metallikarton...ma-30-laj.html

Quote:
Cumpleanos23
Where did you get the trees? and in what scale?
The trees are by Noch which is a German company specializing in model railway landscaping.The trees that I used are called “Plantation Trees” and the official scale is HO/TT (1:87). They are about 3,5cm tall, meaning visually they fit with the 1:500 scale relatively well. I purchased them from a model railway store here in Finland, but I think they are quite common so they should be available in most model railway stores in Europe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan on making a post covering the both the construction process and info on the techniques used in the model sometime in the near future. Be on the lookout for that in case you are interested!

Cheers,
Supersonic
Old 07-19-2021, 04:34 AM   #14
First Officer

buettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dog

Wow, what a great work! I like this section of the airport a lot. Beautiful details! Very well done!!!

My registered fleet (still many items missing):
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabase/mycollection/collection-24536.html
buettni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #15
First Officer

klm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributorklm.b777 is a good contributor

Thank you very much! The “glass” is called “metallikartonki” in Finnish which roughly translates to “metal cardboard paper” in English. It is basically a A4 size sheet of cardboard paper that has a glossy reflective surface giving a glass-like appearance. Unfortunately finding this type of cardboard paper in realistic colors for example, such as green in this case can be very difficult. Believe it or not, I have been trying to find black colored metal cardboard paper for over 7 years without any success! In case you are interested, here is a link to a Finnish arts and crafts store called Sinelli which sells assortments of metal cardboard paper including the color green that I used in this model. https://www.sinelli.fi/metallikarton...ma-30-laj.html

Thank you for the website.. I will have a look..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: