1/500 Southampton Airport - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
Southampton Airport 1/500

astra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radar
1/500 Southampton Airport

Hi all.
I've spent the last month or so perfecting a replica of Southampton Airport (SOU/EGHI), a small regional airport in the UK.
I have to admit that the terminal isn't amazing (yet), but let's take a look at some of the traffic.

Firstly, we have a Titan Airways BAe 146-200QC, which is operating on behalf of Aurigny. It's just arrived from Guernsey, and should be heading back out in around an hour.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_150819 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next, we can see an ATR 72-600 of Flybe (previously operated on behalf of SAS), which is taxiing for its departure to Belfast City. [yes, I seem to have forgotten to clean up this part of the taxiway after fixing patchy grass ]
[IMG]IMG_20200814_150834 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

At the terminal, this Flybe (Brussels Airlines) Q400, is pushing back ahead of a flight to Amsterdam.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_150857 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Alongside the Q400, we can see a second Flybe ATR 72-600, which is departing to Glasgow. This one is taking on fuel as we speak, and is almost ready for boarding.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_154327 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

This E195 in Flybe's 'Welcome to Yorkshire' livery is loading last cargo before its pushback for Skiathos, a route which is operated in the Summer for a local travel agency.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_154338 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

An intersting visitor, but one that is going to be a fairly common sight around here, is this Eastern Airways ATR, about to operate a service to Humberside. We'll be seeing a second one very soon.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_150940 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

No visit to Southampton would be complete without a sighting of this purple Flybe Q400! In this case, it's about to depart to Manchester.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_154411 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

We can also see this British Airways (Sun-Air) Dornier 328JET, which is about to head out to Inverness, for an oil, gas & wind charter.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_154413 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last, but almost certainly not least (for, surely the Dornier 328 is 'least' in terms of size? ), is this ATR 72-500 of Blue Islands, operating a Flybe service to Jersey.
[IMG]IMG_20200814_150959 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

I hope you all enjoyed the first installment of 'Southampton Airport'!
Are you excited for more? I certainly am!

Have a great day,
CK
astra-airlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: 1/500 Southampton Airport

What a great-looking project. You have used a nice variety of textures in the scenic elements, which adds so much to realism and visual interest. Truly a delight to look at, and to answer your question: YES--definitely excited for more!!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Nice little airport, cool to see some turboprop action aswell

Old 08-14-2020, 04:32 PM   #4
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Lovely little diorama you have there Cianan. The grass reminds me of the English countryside, and the small scale operations really suit Southampton. I hope one of the next updates will show KLM's new service to SOU, taking over from now defunct FlyBe.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #5

astra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radarastra-airlines is flying under the radar
Thanks for the positive comments!
Haven't got to the stage where Flybe collapses yet, but watch this space!

Loganair will be starting operations in a week or so, and (despite the fact that they are actually defunct), so will Air Southwest, with a Q300.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Easyjet

Easyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributorEasyjet is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra-airlines View Post
Thanks for the positive comments!
Haven't got to the stage where Flybe collapses yet, but watch this space!

Loganair will be starting operations in a week or so, and (despite the fact that they are actually defunct), so will Air Southwest, with a Q300.
Is the Loganair coming in a custom?
Easyjet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyjet View Post
Is the Loganair coming in a custom?
It's actually their blank ERJ. The Air Southwest and Eastern models are though!
Old 08-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Very nice layout, the fact it is a regional one is a news respect the usual hubs and megahubs full of widebodies. Well done.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Very nice layout, the fact it is a regional one is a news respect the usual hubs and megahubs full of widebodies. Well done.
Thanks Charter.
Hopefully we will have another update tomorrow. Should I feature the defunct Air Southwest, just because they're perfect for the model? 😉
Old 08-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Thanks Charter.
Hopefully we will have another update tomorrow. Should I feature the defunct Air Southwest, just because they're perfect for the model? 😉
How many regional customs do you have?
Air Southwest Dash 8-300 would be perfect for this airport!

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Charter.
How many regional customs do you have?
Air Southwest Dash 8-300 would be perfect for this airport!
I've got the Dash 8, and two Eastern ATRs. I'm also going to have a blank ERJ for Loganair in a few days. Think I'll use the Dash-8 then. 👍
Old 08-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
The Dark Side

Quote:
I've got the Dash 8, and two Eastern ATRs. I'm also going to have a blank ERJ for Loganair in a few days. Think I'll use the Dash-8 then. 👍
Air Southwest, Eastern Airways, Loganair, Aurigny...too many regional airlines missing.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #13

Hello again.
It's time for the second installment, and I've had a few parcels since the first one, so this could be interesting...

This time, I've decided to start with an overview of the terminal area, and you can also see the Royal Mail depot at the bottom; it isn't part of the airport, but is very close. I presume this is for the sake of convenience.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_140156 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't want to repeat myself, so I'll try a different order. Here's a Loganair ERJ-145 which is boarding passengers for Glasgow. (Yes, you can see my pitiful backdrop as well. It's just there for some photos I take when certain aircraft are taxiing in - nothing fancy! )
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135625 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Next to the Embraer, we can see this Blue Islands (operating for Flybe) ATR 72-500. It's just taxied onto stand from Jersey, and passengers will be disembarking ASAP. It'll then be flying back to Guernsey.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135612 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another departure to the Channel Islands is this Titan Airways BAe 146, once again operating on behalf of Aurigny to Guernsey. Sorry if this is starting to look too familiar, please do tell me to change some things!
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135552 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

To the left of the 146, interestingly (or not) at the same position as last time, there is a Flybe ATR 72-600, which is about to operate a service to Amsterdam, one of the airline's most popular routes from SOU. This aircraft was previously flown on behalf of SAS and will likely be returned to its lessors soon.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135539 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pushing back before heading back to Humberside is this Eastern Airways ATR 72-600. This is the airline's second ATR, and is registered G-IACZ (last time, G-IACY was featured).
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135532 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

This Flybe Q400 has just landed from Manchester, and will be returning there in just under an hour.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135637 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another Q400 is on its way to the Isle of Man.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135452 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

And, as promised, our last aircraft for today is this beautiful (and tiny) Air Southwest Dash 8 Q300, which has just started its takeoff roll for a flight to Newquay, and on to Plymouth.
[IMG]IMG_20200818_135511 by Cianan Kelly, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hope you've enjoyed reading this update as much as I've enjoyed putting it together. We may be getting a (fictional) in-house cargo airline next week, but I think the most exciting model for me has been the Air Southwest Q300.

Best regards,
CK
Old 08-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Air Southwest, Eastern Airways, Loganair, Aurigny...too many regional airlines missing.
I agree, we need Herpa to start making these...The ATR mould is (apart from the nose gear) excellent, but we only get one or two liveries a year...
Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #15
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Very good update once again, I don't mind seeing the Titan 146 again as it's a stunning model!

You can really see the heart and soul you put into this diorama!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: