"Apartment" Diorama - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #1
American Airlines

AA2013 is flying under the radar
"Apartment" Diorama

Hello,

I would like to create a diorama, but I have limited space in my apartment. However, here is what I would like to build. Mainly would like to build it as a way to photograph and display my planes.

-Terminal building with 2 gates. Eventually with working lights inside the terminal. The building will be build against the back of the diorama (if that makes sense)

-Ability to add/remove ground crew and vehicles

-Add a realistic partial mat.

I am starting for scratch here, and would appreciate any suggestions to help me realize this.

Thanks
#1 Priority: Southwest 737 in "Shamu" colorway
PM me if you have one
AA2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: "Apartment" Diorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA2013 View Post
Hello,

I would like to create a diorama, but I have limited space in my apartment. However, here is what I would like to build. Mainly would like to build it as a way to photograph and display my planes.

-Terminal building with 2 gates. Eventually with working lights inside the terminal. The building will be build against the back of the diorama (if that makes sense)

I am starting for scratch here, and would appreciate any suggestions to help me realize this.

Thanks

What dimensions (including height) are you considering? Also, will this be a permanent external display, like on a shelf, or is it something that must fit into a box for storage when not in use?
Pete

P.S.: Consider using LED Christmas lights (obviously a small set, like 25-30 lights) for your illumination needs--they are cheap, readily available, and give good results when used properly

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-12-2020 at 04:52 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:58 AM   #3
American Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
What dimensions (including height) are you considering? Also, will this be a permanent external display, like on a shelf, or is it something that must fit into a box for storage when not in use?
Pete

P.S.: Consider using LED Christmas lights (obviously a small set, like 25-30 lights) for your illumination needs--they are cheap, readily available, and give good results when used properly
I am hoping to keep the size of the partial terminal building on-par with the scale. I suppose my trouble is in finding an example of full-sized terminal building dimensions.

The diorama would not be permanent, but rather on a base that could be portable. As long as the size is reasonable enough, it could be left out in my office space.

Thanks for the tip on the light--thats very helpful and I will keep that in mind.
PM me if you have one

Old 08-12-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

If you are going for absolute minimum size, then design the project in reverse: that is to say, terminal size is related to the size of the airplanes you plan to have parked in front of it. You could have a small diorama only 13" long, which would hold two A380 airplanes (wingspan about 6" each) with around one inch between the two parked airplanes. Going back to my original comment, since your project is constrained by size, then the main consideration is how much space exists for the diorama at its intended place of display, or the storage box you plan to put it in (whereby I would highly recommend buying the box first and design the foil platform and building height to fit inside of the box). For example, both of my dioramas each fit into five underbed storage boxes, whose external dimensions are 19" x 39" x7"--the display area and the STORAGE element were the size-limiting factors. Good luck and keep us informed
Pete
Old 08-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA2013 View Post
Hello,

Thanks
Ciao and thanks for asking.
The most important thing is missing...what scale? 1:500 scale airport has the possibility to have more things than 1:400 (of course): more space, more parking stands, more terminal buildings, etc. It also depends on the space you have: how big your airport should be? For example if you have 1 meter x 50 cm of space, in 1:500 scale you can realize a straight terminal building with at least 4 widebodies parking stands + jetways, or 5 narrowbodies/regionals parking stands + jetways, or about four to five remote stands (without jetways), with the possibility to add walkways for the passengers, service roads and the mani taxiway. You can also add the space for the Fire Station. 1 meter x 50 cm in 1:500 scale are 500 meters x 250 meters in a real airport.
Less if it is 1:400 scale.
So...
1) what scale?
2) how large (space you have at your disposition)

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
American Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Ciao and thanks for asking.
The most important thing is missing...what scale? 1:500 scale airport has the possibility to have more things than 1:400 (of course): more space, more parking stands, more terminal buildings, etc. It also depends on the space you have: how big your airport should be? For example if you have 1 meter x 50 cm of space, in 1:500 scale you can realize a straight terminal building with at least 4 widebodies parking stands + jetways, or 5 narrowbodies/regionals parking stands + jetways, or about four to five remote stands (without jetways), with the possibility to add walkways for the passengers, service roads and the mani taxiway. You can also add the space for the Fire Station. 1 meter x 50 cm in 1:500 scale are 500 meters x 250 meters in a real airport.
Less if it is 1:400 scale.
So...
1) what scale?
2) how large (space you have at your disposition)
I will be doing 1:400 since I already have a small collection of models in that scale. Here is my first mockup that I have done. Pictured are an A380 and 787, and a 737-8 behind it for scale.

Again since this would not be a realistic working airport and only a diorama used to photograph my models, I would probably switch out one of the gates between a wide and narrow body jetway.

I am thinking of adding one remote stand, just trying to figure out how much room I would have to add. I would appreciate any suggestions on that as well.

The slanted off area is where the partial terminal building will be.

The next step is selecting materials. I am kinda unsure of what to build it on. Plywood? Or should I stop at a modeling store to get a proper diorama base? Also, I need to buy 2 narrow body bridges. If anyone is selling just 2, I would be interested. Seems they only come in packs of 6 online and that would just be wasteful.
PM me if you have one

Last edited by AA2013; 08-12-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:21 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

You can use multilayer wood panel: easy to find, resistant, doesn't bend too much when worked with paint; very expensive.
About jetways you can use Herpa ones: the Herpa new jetways are projected for 1:500 models but they are perfect also for 1:400 models, and they are sold in a apckage with just two pieces!
15 x 20 inches are about 40 x 50 cm: i would delete the A380, too big and it fills all your layout. I would project one widebody parking stand (up to A330/B787) and two narrowbodies parking stands; behind there should be space for the main taxiway, especially if you shorten the terminal building (in a 30 cm wide layout a 10 cm wide terminal building is too much, maximum 5 cm = about 2 inches).

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
Plane driver

Cedric is flying under the radar

Hi,
I live in an apartment too and space can be limiting so I recently made a budget-ish diorama. Had some wooden boards used for martial arts which were broken and lying around (~28x16cm). I printed a parking bay, some grass area, and a paper building and stuck them on the board with tape. I then used some vehicles, light poles etc to “populate” it.

It’s easily portable in case you want to move it somewhere else or store it if you're not using it for photos. Also the small elevation of the board makes for nice “ground level” photos.

A more permanent option which I have is a glass desk with a drawer underneath so you can see your diorama under when you’re working and pull open the drawer if you want to make changes or take photos.

Hopefully I manage to attach the photos correctly...

"Apartment" Diorama-wooden-board.jpg

"Apartment" Diorama-board-complete.jpg

"Apartment" Diorama-ground-level-photo.jpg

"Apartment" Diorama-desk-drawer.jpg
Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #9
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
Hi,
I live in an apartment too and space can be limiting so I recently made a budget-ish diorama. Had some wooden boards used for martial arts which were broken and lying around (~28x16cm). I printed a parking bay, some grass area, and a paper building and stuck them on the board with tape. I then used some vehicles, light poles etc to “populate” it.

It’s easily portable in case you want to move it somewhere else or store it if you're not using it for photos. Also the small elevation of the board makes for nice “ground level” photos.

A more permanent option which I have is a glass desk with a drawer underneath so you can see your diorama under when you’re working and pull open the drawer if you want to make changes or take photos.

Attachment 85888

Attachment 85890

Attachment 85892

Attachment 85894
Bravo! Almost perfect in each detail, well done.

Charter airlines lover

Old 08-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #10
American Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
Hi,

Attachment 85888

Attachment 85890

Attachment 85892

Attachment 85894
Cheers, this was very helpful...almost exactly what I was looking for just mine I plan to make a little bigger.
PM me if you have one
Old 08-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #11
Plane driver

Cedric is flying under the radar

No worries. Hope your diorama build goes well.
Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
American Airlines

Some updates:
Received my custom cut piece of wood. I decided to go with redwood since it does not warp. I painted the white basecoat on it.

If anyone could provide some input, I'm looking for someone to create my terminal for me. I've come to the realization that I am not good enough with fine model making to realize a realistic terminal lol.

I am also looking for the best way to paint my foil. Does anyone have good resources for buying modeling tools such as stencils?
PM me if you have one

Last edited by Charter; 08-27-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Senior Captain

I think you are totally up to the task--don't stress, and have fun with this! You will be able to take great pride in your finished project. Here are some tips for you--you can have this little airport up and running in just a few days!

1) Paint the baseboard light grey; once it is dry, mark a very light grid-work of one-inch squares upon it using a regular fine-point black pen; don't use a marker or a Sharpie for these lines because the result will be too dark. Go for subtle ground markings. To prove my point: look at any real airport using Google Earth from an aerial view of about 1000 feet (which is about how far up a standing 6-foot human is in this scale, as he/she towers over a 1:400 or 1:500 diorama located at waist height)--you can BARELY SEE the ground markings, so no need to overdo them.

2) Buy a fine-tip, yellow Sharpie paint marker from your craft store, Michael's, or whatever you have where you live--and then draw the taxiway lines with this using a ruler or other straight edge. To create a curved line, such as from the taxiway into a gate/parking space, use the edge of something round like a small bottle , edge of a can, whatever--to draw the curve perfectly. I use a 50-cent piece. No need for stencils, etc. This is your first diorama, so you don't need to over-complicate your parking spots--once ready for display, cover them generously with ground support equipment and a nice airplane or two. If you use enough GSE, you will realize that most of the markings get covered up anyway! Some of the markings only matter when the parking space is unoccupied; you are a beginner at this, you can add more markings later as your skill improves.

3) Print some simple building coverings (see Airport Designs - 1:400 Scale Buildings
for example, their 'square building' free download would be perfect for a rectangular terminal) and then cut to size and glue them onto a block of wood. Add your GSE, jetways (all from E-bay) and a couple of planes, and. . . .

4) Voila, you're done! Take pictures, enjoy, share them here.

Enjoy!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-26-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
The Dark Side

Pete posted a perfect and useful post for you.
But you can also follow some hints here
Tutorial thread for handmade airport builders. ( 1 2 3 4)

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: