Paris CDG Terminal 2A & 2C (1:500 scale) - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
RJ First Officer

Leadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributor
Paris CDG Terminal 2A & 2C (1:500 scale)

Dear all,

I hope you are all safe and sound.
As some of you may remember, I have been building for many years a replica of Charles de Gaulle Airport in 1:500 scale. I first started with Terminal 2F, followed by Hall K, Hall L (S3) and Hall M (4)

I tried to look at my old posts but unfortunately all my pictures are now gone, as a reminder, here is what my CDG looks like, the last update being the addition of Terminal 2E Hall M (S4). Those pics are from summer 2019

I have been thinking on extending my Charles de Gaulle airport for quite a long time but of course time was the issue. Thankfully if I may say, the lockdown gave me plenty of free-time. It was obvious in my mind that I wanted to build Terminal 2A & 2C. T2AC are welcoming most non Schengen and non AF partners, the rest are using Terminal 1 (mostly Star Alliance (except AC) + Qatar Airways).

When thinking about building a realistic airport, it's important to ensure the availability of models. Those terminals are used by well-produced models of Emirates, Etihad, Saudia, Oman Air, Royal Jordanian, Cathay, British Airways, Air India, Air Madagascar, Air Canada, American Airlines, Hainan, Aeroflot, Gulf Air, Air Tahiti Nui, Air Austral & El Al. of course, sometimes the subtype is not available, I have to use a 777-200LR instead of a 300ER for Air Canada for example but that is still acceptable.
The only aircraft really missing and with no alternative is the Air Senegal A330-900neo

There are a lot of different approach when you are building your own replica. Some prefers to use painting and wood, others cardboard or printing, I think there is no right or wrong approach, it all depends on your confidence with using such materials and the level of details you are looking.
In my case, I am using a mix of printing for the foil and the terminal design and cardboard for the building structures.

1st step: the Ground Foil
What is very time consuming is designing the foil, for that, Google maps is very useful to get exact parking positions and true to scale. Once that ready, it's all printed in my in house printer on regular A4 80gr paper.

All sheets of papers are carefully cut, glued and assembled on thick cardboards. For transport and storage practicality, the airport is divided in two right between the terminals. Meaning that the building that goes in between cannot be glued to the surface.

2nd step: access roads
Same method is applied for the roads, first designed, then printed and glued but on thinner cardboard. Building the access roads first ensure that the terminals are correctly positioned.

3rd step: main terminal buildings
The main shape of the building is not two complex, it's curved but with flat walls. Feather cardboard is used for both the structure and the walls. The cardboard is then covered by the building design, this time printed on thicker paper (150gr).

Terminal 2A & 2C may look similar but they are different, 2A is slightly smaller and with an additional passageway.

4th step: secondary buildings
Complexity is found with the others buildings such as the one that connect the two terminals.

But by far, the most difficult one is the small terminal that is nicknamed as the cherry by the airport workers. I had to redone it 3 times before getting the desired rounded shape. A lot of patience required.

Not to be forgotten are all the small buildings: those are offices, fire station and storage facilities, it helps give a realistic look to the airport.
Again, everything is designed on a computer, printed and assembled.

5th step: Jetways and accessories
Last and final step are the jetways, same as for my other terminals, I am only using the front part of the Herpa jetways. They are attached to a custom made walkway.

For added realism, I have painted in white the Terminal 2A jetways.

Finally, catering trucks are customized with the local providers: Servair/ACNA & Newrest.

I hope you enjoyed this step by step post and I take this opportunity to congratulate all airport builders, this is IMHO the best way to showcase our collections.

Next update will show the finished airport with traffic, here is a teasing:

Last edited by Leadership; 06-20-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Leadership is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Re: Paris CDG Terminal 2A & 2C (1:500 scale)

This is still one of the best dioramas ever made!! Congrats!!!

Your new T2A , T2C and CDG 2 TGV station are also superb and stunning!!!! You’ve done a wonderful job!!!

Next step, terminal 1?

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Absolutely FANTASTIC. Thanks for sharing this wonderful masterpiece, and congrats for your attention to detail! You are very skilled!!! Really one of the best dioramas i've seen here

The "cherry" building seem to be very complex indeed, i'm happy to see you sorted it out!

Old 06-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #4
RJ First Officer

Skyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributorSkyteam67 is a good contributor

This is wonderful! You have perfectly recreated CDG with this diorama, and the diversity in airlines is absolutely brilliant. I look forward to seeing regular updates from this diorama in the future! fantastic work
Skyteam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I remember this airport from a lot of years ago. It always inspired me a lot, and now that I see it again it all comes back! While the 2E and 2F sections were amazing, seeing 2A and 2C almost completes the diorama (I mean, technically there's still the 2G part with all the HOPs). Having flown through CDG this past january really makes me appreciate the details in this diorama even more!

I also love your stuff on YouTube, assuming you're Leadership there too

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

WONDERFUL! Thanks for sharing Paris-CDG again.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:21 AM   #7
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby

An absolute masterpiece.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Second Officer

klm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciated

Very very beautiful..
Old 06-21-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
RJ First Officer

Leadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributorLeadership is a good contributor

Thank you all for your nice comments, I am glad you like it.

I am still waiting one more model to get the diorama complete (ET A350), delivery time takes ages currently...

I am planing on showing you the real traffic hour by hour from 6am until midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I also love your stuff on YouTube, assuming you're Leadership there too
Thank you very much, yes that me again lol, this is the small avgeek world!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
RJ First Officer

elite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributor

Stunning airport mate! Huge area with a variety of airlines! Well done!

Looking for Herpa Garuda Indonesia B777-300ER & Philippine Airlines A330-300 1/500
elite_lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #11
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadership View Post

Thank you very much, yes that me again lol, this is the small avgeek world!
I hope to be in CDG in the end of August and will surely appreciate terminal 2F's architecture even more thanks to your amazing build!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #12
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

That's a great airport ! Thanks for sharing, I love seeing real airport replicas and this one caught my interest as it was Paris CDG ! Very good work
Old 06-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
RJ First Officer

Thank you again for your messages.

Here is the first update, the idea is to show the real traffic hour by hour. This is based on published schedule for the 1st week of September 2020 as current traffic is of course drastically impacted due to Covid-19.

From 6am to 8am:

This is very early in the morning and the airport awaken slowly. As you can see, only one gate is occupied, this British Airways aircraft is the only one doing a night stop here.

At 6am sharp, the first flight is arriving, this is Air Austral flight UU975 daily service from Reunion Island. I know this is the old livery, the new one was produced by Sky500 but I don't have it unfortunately.

This Boeing 777-300ER is using gate C14, unloading of cargo is underway by starting by the rear cargo hold to avoid aircraft unbalance.

10 minutes later, the sistership Dreamliner as UU977 is arriving from an another French overseas territory: Dzaoudzi, Mayotte.

At 6:30am, the first transatlantic flight touched down, this is AC884 from Montreal Trudeau. Due to fuel pipeline works being carried out, three gates of Terminal 2A are not be used.

Meaning that this aircraft will be using a remote position.

5mn later, Ethiopian Airlines as ET704 is arriving from Addis Ababa.

This Airbus A350 is lucky as he has been assigned a gate at the terminal.

Here is an overview of the terminals at 6:35am

At 7am, Cathay Pacific flight CX261 from Hong Kong is taxiing to it's gate, he will be parked at "the cherry".

The first departing flight of the day, with an ETD at 7:30am is BA303 to London Heathrow. Today operated by an Airbus A320neo.

This Aeroflot Airbus A321 is arriving early from Moscow Sheremetyevo as SU2452

Soon enough, at 7:50am, the first Airbus A380 of the day operated by Etihad Airways arrives, this is EY031 from Abu Dhabi.
Two gates at each extremity of the Terminal 2C can accommodate Airbus A380 aircraft.

While the Airbus A380 is being unloaded, the Ethiopian aircraft is being towed to a remote position, as he will be not be leaving Paris before the evening.

The position is soon taken over by AA44, a Boeing 777-200ER arriving from New York JFK.

With 10mn ahead of schedule, this Hainan Airlines Dreamliner is arriving from Shenzhen as HU757. Again, this aircraft will be using a remote position.

Buses are ready to pick up the passengers.

And finally, at 8am, we welcome this tiny but beautiful Gulf Air A320, this is GF019 from Bahrain.

And that's it for today, I hope you enjoyed this update, next one will be rush hour time from 8am to 10am.

Last edited by Leadership; 06-23-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
RJ First Officer

elite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributorelite_lima is an excellent contributor

Lovely update! Can't wait to see what's for rush hour!

Looking for Herpa Garuda Indonesia B777-300ER & Philippine Airlines A330-300 1/500
elite_lima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
Earning My Wings

stephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting startedstephen1160 is getting started

Totally awesome - thank you for sharing so many pics and useful ideas!
stephen1160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: