1/500 Project: Bahrain International Airport in the late 2000s - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
RJ Second Officer

Speedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dog
1/500 Project: Bahrain International Airport in the late 2000s

Hi fellow aviation lovers,

this is not a great time and I, too, have to be worried about my job at Hamburg Airport - as many of you probably are. Nonetheless my current status of only being allowed to work 30% gave me the opportunity not only to enjoy the epic spring we are having and to make lots of music - I also took the terminals I built of Bahrain Airport two years are out of the cupboard. Currently about three of the 17ish square meters that are my room are taken up by the airport (yes, that is more than my bed takes up). I am starting this thread very late into the building phase, I will actually be finished in a few weeks after another epic build of much more than 150h spread over two years. The terminals etc. survived my move to this flat so they really deserve to be displayed properly now.

Anyway, let's get into why I did Bahrain and not any other airport in the world. Well, the wonderful golden Gulf Air jets really started the idea. Also, I always wanted to do something with a desert-feel, and - anyone who knows my former airports knows this - I love palm trees. When I then got to planning the whole thing it became apparent that the airport is very scenic and - what I love - has a cargo and maintenance area right next to the terminal, only separated by - awesome - loads of palm trees and little buildings. So that should be rather nice, I love the mix of terminals, maintenance, and cargo, or possibly even military (like I showed with my Okinawa model).

Check out my take on Bahrain Int'l:

Mind you, that is 320cm x 120 cm (!!). And apart from the maintenance are on the far left I have it all finished. However, I still have to finish it and I also have to wait for my dear friend from Austria who owns an epic (and I mean it) fleet of Gulf Air aircraft. I only have one A343 and some other traffic that came to Bahrain in ca. 2009 when this diorama is set (Lufthansa A333, British B77E, Qatar A346, Emirates A332, AF 74F, DHL 76F & DC8). My friend has something like 9 Gulf Air A320s, 4 A332s, 4 A343s, 2 77W and the Gulf Traveller 767. Due to Corona, we will have to see when he can come over with the models or send them.

I will upload some pictures from the building phase, yet, first here are some impressions from the real airport.

Ok guys, I think you know what I mean, it's an awesome airport and I can tell you it will be a cool model. Maybe not my best, but my biggest and my first proper one in years, not counting the little Honolulu adventure.

I'll post pics soon, I'd of course love feedback on the idea etc. - and should anyone from the Hamburg area be here - I am in the short term need of Gulf Air planes #

Best regards to all of you, stay healthy.
Speedbird
Speedbird01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: 1/500 Project: Bahrain International Airport in the late 2000s

I have very mixed feelings about your message;'

I'm very sorry to hear you're living in uncertainty regarding your job, but it's also a pleasure to see your airports making a return. I thoroughly enjoyed the LAX scenery and the HNL scenery. I'm going to be monitoring this thread closely!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
RJ Second Officer

SandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributorSandborgAirport is an excellent contributor

I love your work so can’t wait to see this.

I remember landing in Bahrain when flying to Doha with British Airways on a 777-200ER. I’ve always had an interest in it after that.
SandborgAirport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

This will be fantastic, just like your previous projects. Very exotic choice! I must say i've always wanted to have a desert-based airport aswell, but i'd rather pick up a place in Africa.

Eagerly waiting to see pics of this nice diorama! Gulf Air, here we go!
Too bad some key models are missing in 1:500. Some freighter birds, like a Kalitta Jumbo, would fit in quite well.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I am really looking forward to seeing this project. I must have flown through there 100 times back in the 90's, in the days when Gulf Air was giving EK a lot of competition, and Qatar was just a tiny little airline. The airport buildings of the first decade of 2000 were unchanged, so I am anticipating feelings of nostalgia from your model. I wish you were close by, so that I could help you out with the GF planes--I've got a bunch of them. P.S.: Good luck with work!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
RJ Second Officer

Speedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dogSpeedbird01 is a top dog

Hey guys,

let's focus on the terminal building first. You've seen the pictures of the real thing, so here is my take on the building, of course, jet bridges will be added (same color as in my Honolulu diorama, so no need to buy new ones, pure luck )

As always, the building is made from only photos and Google Earth. I used 300g cardboard for the outside and thicker, 1mm cardboard for the structure inside (as you can see in some of the first photos. Other than that I used reflective cardboard for the windows and all I do is cut and glue (and watch friends on the side )

Of course you always have to divide up your buildings to be able to handle them and store them. So in this case I built a main middle part and two piers that go left and right.

Eastern pier:

Western Pier

Central Hall

Now see how they join together!

and compare with the real thing:

Ok, this is it for now, more updates to follow.

Paul

Last edited by Speedbird01; 04-10-2020 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Photo stuff
Old 04-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #7
Second Officer

klm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciatedklm.b777 is appreciated

Damm that looks very good.. Going to be a nice part of an airport..
Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Beautiful project and great start, a real masterpiece of architecture.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #9
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Some complex structures leading up to the jetway, but in your work it almost looks easy.. Impressive stuff!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Old 04-10-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I love how the terminal building is taking shape. It has a complex form and you have nailed it in terms of dimensions, scale, and detail. Beautiful work!
Pete
Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Puddle Jumper

Capt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributorCapt. Rasho is a good contributor

Just wow, that level of skill, the terminal is looking very great and realistic

SJO-MROC
Capt. Rasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:30 AM   #12
RJ Second Officer

Hi guys,

some Impressions from my current work on weird little buildings on the side, right now it's all about the area around the cargo and maintenance areas.

This stuff seems to have nothing to do with the plane models etc. I want to show. But believe me, these surroundings set the atmosphere of the diorama and I think so much is lost if you only build a terminal and an apron and not do the landside.

More tomorrow!

Last edited by DutchCollector; 04-12-2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Image sizes
Old 04-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #13
Senior Captain

I love the flock of little buildings--they are so well-made, and will look great where the airport transitions into the rest of Muharraq Island. This is a cool project
Old 04-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #14
Admin

..and he's watching Friends while he's doing it! Amazing!

Old 04-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #15
Puddle Jumper

oliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributoroliver is a good contributor
Wow! Not sure how I missed this project, but it’s incredible! Looking forward to seeing the completed diorama.
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: