USS "Gerald R. Ford" (CVN-78). - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
USS "Gerald R. Ford" (CVN-78).

Hi.
An aircarrier is an airport? Yes, of course!
How can i use all my 1:200 fighters, especially the many F-18, F-35, EA-6B and, of course, the immortal F-14? I could create an aircarrier and "Gerald R. Ford" (CVN-78) is a super-aircarrier.
337 meters long, 80 meters wide, the successor of USS Enterprise is a beautiful monster: my idea is to build an handmade aircarrier using wood!
A crazy challenge, something of really crazy. I think that my skills will allow me to realize a good sea-airport.
There are many "measures" to take for the realization of an aircarrier, because there aren't just two angles but many angles to consider. An aircarrier isn't a two-dimensions airport; i already took some measures using my beautiful 1:1250 "Gerald R. Ford" aircarrier, and these are the various measures in 1:200 scale:
168 cm long (deck)
155 cm long (below)
9 cm high (divided into deck and lower part)
40 cm wide (deck)
21 cm wide (lower part)
structure 18 cm high divided into 9 cm + 9 cm of antenna
radar tower after the structure 6 cm high + radar
For this project i have to wait the end of Covid-19 closure because i need of specific wood panels and all the shops are closed. But i can start to work on the structure an on the radar tower because i should have the right pieces of wood.
Don't expect a masterpiece, especially on the lower part, because i am not a wood craftsman, but i am sure i will realize a msterpiece regarding the flying deck, something not different from an airport apron.
This is the amazing aircarrier:

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: USS "Gerald R. Ford" (CVN-78).

A really exciting project, the likes of which have not seen on Wings900 before--looking forward to this!
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
A really exciting project, the likes of which have not seen on Wings900 before--looking forward to this!
Thanks Pete.
This project took form in my mind especially because i can't believe the F-14 will never take off/land from this amazing ship, so my many 1:200 Tomcat's will have their special aircarrier.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
The Dark Side

I started to project the structure, then i will use a saw to cut the wood in the right shape.
I will post pics as soon as possible.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-29-2020, 06:22 PM   #5
The Dark Side

I have found the wood panels so i can start to work the flying deck.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
The Dark Side

I took the mesures from this beautiful 1:1250 model:

Beautiful French stealth destroyer

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
The Dark Side

And this is what i am realizing

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 AM   #8
The Dark Side

I am working on the "island", then i will repaint the flying deck.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-30-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
The Dark Side

I finished the island and painted the deck.
Tomorrow i will start with the flying deck lines.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 AM   #10
The Dark Side

I am checking all the 1:200 fighters i can use for the "Gerald R. Ford" and they are many:
F-14
F-4
F-35
F-18
EA-6B
V-22
S-3
Rafale

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
The Dark Side

Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) is finished (i have just to add the lower part, as soon as the shops will re-open, and the big radar bulge on the "Island").
I am sure this President will be happy of my job.

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-01-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
The Dark Side

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
The Dark Side

I don't know if it is changed but it seems that CVN-78 can't use the F-35 because of the too high costs; maybe the F-35 will be added in the future.
USS Gerald R Ford can recover all Navy planes except the F-35

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #14
The Dark Side

What a pity in 1:500 scale there aren't A-1 Skyraider, A-6 Intruder, A-7 Corsair, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, E-2 Hawkeye.

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #15
The Dark Side

When the lockdown will finish i have to buy some wood pieces to stick on the lower part of the flying deck, so the aircarrier will be ready for the sea.
About the radar bulge i think to use a Kinder Surprise plastic piece.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: