MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Greetings, fellow model airport enthusiasts.

Here I present the ongoing fictional airport trilogy of "MAGIC," namely the Mid-Atlantic Group of Island Colonies, created in the 1:500 scale.
These three islands are situated in the mid North Atlantic Ocean, located approximately 2,300 miles east of the U.S. state of North Carolina and 2,300 miles west of Portugal.

First picture is of the main terminal of San Ysidro International Airport "YSX" from the land side:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-14-2020 at 07:10 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

OOOOPS--if someone could mention exactly WHERE I need to paste the URL Flickr BBCode in wings900, and also if it is the whole code, or do I need to modify it/take something out. When I pasted the link in the body of the note, all that appears is the link but I want the picture to appear in the thread without the viewer having to click on the link. Thanks!!

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-14-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:27 AM   #3
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Cool looking airport! I love that satellite kind of terminal

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2020, 04:23 AM   #4
Senior Captain

Overview from above: the satellite concourse contains the "B" gates, 5 in total. As you can see, the airport is congested and is lacking for space--that is what happens on a small island with only a little flat land available!
Note--I have made this diorama of the complete island, so in upcoming pictures you will see scenes of the rest of San Ysidro in the background.

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-14-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #5
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
OOOOPS--if someone could mention exactly WHERE I need to paste the URL Flickr BBCode in wings900, and also if it is the whole code, or do I need to modify it/take something out. When I pasted the link in the body of the note, all that appears is the link but I WANT THE PICTURE TO APPEAR IN THE THREAD WITHOUT THE VIEWER HAVING TO CLICK ON THE LINK. Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Overview from above

Just add the code [IMG]...[/IMG]

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Captain

...Allegiant taxiing onto runway 10. There is a jumbled forest of mangroves visible just south of runway 10/28, as well as the old rusty-brown steel truss bridge linking the island of San Ysidro with St. Barton's island. San Ysidro proper actually consists of 10 little islands in a closely-knit cluster. Separate from these 10 islands, are the islands of St. Francis (450 miles north of YSX) and Dromedarius (500 miles due east), both of which in time will be covered here as well.

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-14-2020 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
Cool looking airport! I love that satellite kind of terminal

Thank-you!!
Old 03-14-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Young Collector.

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

Your layout is fantastic. I am fascinated by your parking arrangements. The surrroundings are well-made.
Harry Pettersion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Captain

Here we see an AA flight at gate C-9, getting ready to depart for Philadelphia. American uses the A319 to San Ysidro from PHL during the relatively off-peak months of May and September. Also visible in the foreground is the pedestrian bridge linking the main terminal with the satellite Concourse B.

[/url]

Finally, a night time view. I think having an illuminated airport brings the project to life! The process of adding lights, the wiring, drilling of holes, making translucent buildings, etc. greatly increases the complexity of creating the diorama and obviously extends the production time line immensely, but it is totally worth the extra trouble. It is fun to turn the airport lights on in the evening, or early in the morning before work, just to enjoy looking at it in the dark. Kind of like the joy we get from viewing our Christmas tree, but airports are year-round!
[/url]
Old 03-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #10
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
Your layout is fantastic. I am fascinated by your parking arrangements. The surrroundings are well-made.

Thank-you very much for your compliments! I must say that I enjoyed working out the theoretical maximum number of planes at this space-constricted airport, given my desire to include a satellite concourse. Admittedly, things are almost unrealistically tight, but with the use of good airplane tug operators, everything does work. In truth, I think that parallel concourses (like at Atlanta Hartsfield) represent the ultimate in space optimization, but I had been yearning to make an airport with a satellite for quite some time, so the impractical/artistic/visual side of my personality won.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
Senior Captain

Not necessarily a sexy photo, but this shows the 'guts' underneath an illuminated diorama.

As previously mentioned, drilling all of the holes (in the right places and of the right depth), placement of the lights, etc. is labor intensive. But in addition to getting a project that lights up, other 3-D diorama elements become a possibility using the 'crawl space' under the main platform, allowing for features such as this ramp leading down to the baggage processing facility underneath the terminal.

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-14-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

MASTERPIECE! A real masterpiece Pete. A futuristic airport with a futuristic terminal building and a lovely landscape (wonderful the elephant making the bath). Everything is perfect, from the apron to the runway with an extreme, beautiful attention to details.
Great airport my friend.
Positive rep. well deserved and added.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Nice one….wonder though which Cargo plane lost the Elephant next to the Runway
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #14
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
MASTERPIECE! A real masterpiece Pete. A futuristic airport with a futuristic terminal building and a lovely landscape (wonderful the elephant making the bath). Everything is perfect, from the apron to the runway with an extreme, beautiful attention to details.
Great airport my friend.
Positive rep. well deserved and added.

Thank-you for this recognition--it is especially meaningful coming from you, our mentor and expert here on the forum!
Re: the playful elephant bathing in the sea next to the runway, he is just one of many surprise details that are going to be found as this photographic essay evolves, so stay tuned (and keep your eyes peeled) for more
Old 03-14-2020, 01:05 PM   #15
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Nice one….wonder though which Cargo plane lost the Elephant next to the Runway

First of all, thank-you for liking my airport! Since this is a fantasy airport, coming from my own playful mind, of course there is a story behind the elephants (there are others hiding in the mangroves)! As it turns out, there is a full-fledged elephant sanctuary on the neighboring island of Dromedarius 500 miles to the east, and when the 'teenage' males reach puberty, they are separated from the herd (as they would do on their own in the wild) and brought to this area of San Ysidro (via cargo plane, of course!) and are held here until space is readied for them at a zoo somewhere. I am going to take your suggestion and at some point, do a few photos covering the cargo situation

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: