MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 22 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #316
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

I took some time off from posting so as to improve the final appearance of the rocky / desert landscape east of Dromedarius Int'l Airport. I felt the original was too red in color--although this is seen sometimes in nature, like in parts of Utah, looking at it every day was distracting to me! So, I fiddled with the color of the rocks, added turf, gravel, bushes, and a few more cacti to get a less Disney-esque vibe. I think it is prettier now. So, enjoy the results, seen here with a venerable Delta DC-10 going through some landing exercises back in the 1970's.

First, a Delta DC-10 coming in from Atlanta, flying downwind from runway 27 as it prepares to land in Dromedarius.

Next, a view of the DC-10 just seconds from landing, as seen from atop Mount Baldy:

Finally, a different perspective of the beautiful, rugged 'Ten' completing the signature turn to runway 27, as a rival Tri-Star awaits clearance to take off:

uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #317
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
These Aerosur models are wonderful. Such an exotic airline with great liveries. Really sad to know they ceased operations

I fully understand! We've lost some great ones over the years; meanwhile Herpa neglects us in the Americas in 1:500
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 07-27-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #318
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Great shots of the 747-400 and 743 flying over the bay! The layout might be impracitcal, but it does give a stunning shot!

Impractical is almost my middle name!! However this has made it all the more fun to photograph this airport. Follow along for more!
Pete

Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #319
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Nice to see you back on the forum Pete! Great job on the mountain, your scenery is definitely a highlight of this thread!

- Cal.

Thank-you for the compliments! All of the upcoming scenes will feature the improved scenery. As mentioned in the DC-10 section above, I felt the overall tone was too red and so I was compelled to make changes to the hue and also added vegetation. Hope you like it, and stay tuned for more. I am working on the airport buildings now and another plane order is due for delivery soon.

Pete
Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #320
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What a diorama Pete, almost perfect in all details. I love the lake before the runway.

Thank-you for the compliments! The details are time-consuming but make for a great distraction after a hard day at work--quite stressful environment in the hospital these days! At any rate, this airport shows extreme diversity with regards to the landscapes at the runway ends--one is urban with tall buildings and water, the other is rural with desert and rocks. Hopefully something for everyone, nonetheless much fun to set up photos. Soon I will have some airport structures completed, ready for ramp action.

Pete
Old 07-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #321
New York Metro Airport

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Thank-you for the compliments! All of the upcoming scenes will feature the improved scenery. As mentioned in the DC-10 section above, I felt the overall tone was too red and so I was compelled to make changes to the hue and also added vegetation. Hope you like it, and stay tuned for more. I am working on the airport buildings now and another plane order is due for delivery soon.

Pete
The improved scenery looks really good Pete and the added vegetation really completes the overall scene. The classic Delta DC-10 is definitely an interesting subject for these first photographs of the new scenery, but I can't help noticing the beautiful Delta L-1011 holding short of Runway 27! I'll be hoping to see this bird featuring more prominently in future updates!

- Cal.

KNYM | New York Metro Airport
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:33 AM   #322
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
The improved scenery looks really good Pete and the added vegetation really completes the overall scene. The classic Delta DC-10 is definitely an interesting subject for these first photographs of the new scenery, but I can't help noticing the beautiful Delta L-1011 holding short of Runway 27! I'll be hoping to see this bird featuring more prominently in future updates!

- Cal.
I agree--the DL L1011 is truly a beauty and I purposely put her in as a contrast to the DC-10. It has always amazed me that two planes, built by different manufacturers but during the same time frame and with a similar mission in mind, would appear so different. The L1011 being curvaceous and pretty, whilst the DC-10 is robust and handsome. No matter what, I loved the widebody trijet era!!
Pete
Old 07-29-2020, 09:32 PM   #323
ATP Captain

Today felt like Christmas--some long-awaited Herpa releases arrived for me at the post office! And, these model planes arrived just in time for me to begin finalizing airplane parking positions with due respect to the radically-changing operating conditions affecting both airlines and the airports that they use. I see two emerging trends: widespread use of narrow-body planes like the A321 Neo on longer range routes, and the continued introduction of the new generation wide-body planes that have correspondingly extra-large wingspans.

In recognition of the ‘new reality,’ I am making the two remote gates of Dromedarius International Airport "Flexi-Gates," namely each gate being capable of handling either one large-wingspan widebody airplane, or two A321 Neo jets. The first picture shows the assembly of the requisite design tools for this exercise—assigning parking positions is always one of the most enjoyable things about airport diorama modeling:

Four of my new American Airlines A321 Neos--they can park together at gates D-1-A, D-1-C, D-2-A, and D-3:

Next, a view of two large wingspan widebodies occupying gates D-1-B and D-2-B. Note that D-1-B will be equipped to hold an A380--the plane will be around for some time albeit with just a few carriers, despite the imminent closure of the assembly line. As a side note, one wonders that years down the road (in hindsight) maybe they should have kept them around, like the way we feel about the 757? Time will tell, but I sure will miss her!! (One of the most comfortable passenger experiences, this side of the Concorde):

Finally, a look at the hangar area: parking positions H-96 and H-98 display my two new jetBlue A321 "Balloons":

Last edited by uncle beat; 07-29-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #324
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Congrats on all the new arrivals Pete! I'm sure the American A321neos will make agreat addition to your already very lively diorama. The pair of Jetblue A321neos also look very pretty, I think the jetblue livery suits the plane very well!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #325
ATP Captain

I am super thrilled with the latest model airplane arrivals that I received in the middle of the week—the shipment was very A321 – centric, an aircraft type which I currently have a crush on!! This being the case, much of today’s thread focuses on that lovely plane (with an A350 thrown in for good measure—my other ‘new love!’).
First of all, an American A321 Neo is shown in the final stages of landing at Dromedarius:

The final turn onto DRX’s runway 27 is a ‘signature’ move at the airport—it looks tricky, but pilots report having a lot of fun doing it!

A side perspective of ‘the turn.’ Just another day in paradise!!

The lovely African wildlife seen in the background of this picture are descendants of some beautiful creatures that were stranded on Dromedarius when a vessel transporting exotic animals between Cape Town and London was blown off course and eventually disabled by a storm back in the 1800’s. The happy ending is seen here, whereby the offspring of those original animals have peacefully coexisted and thrived on the island for centuries. In the foreground is the tail of an AA A321, whizzing by on departure for Washington, D.C. from runway 9:

A Lufthansa A350-900 finishes its landing roll on runway 27, arriving from Frankfurt. Meanwhile, “Bubbles” the happy hippopotamus is oblivious to the presence of this beautiful plane, as she splashes about in the pond:

This jetBlue A321 aborts its landing at Dromedarius, due to gusty winds coming from the offshore storm of Hurricane Isaias. The pilots have decided to divert the flight to the neighboring island of San Ysidro:

After some hasty preparations for a potential impact on the island from today’s Hurricane Isaias, another AA A321 takes off from runway 9, this one headed for New York. Living in coastal Palm Beach County, Florida, I will now make some storm preparations of my own right now. Stay safe everyone!!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-01-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #326
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Congrats on all the new arrivals Pete! I'm sure the American A321neos will make agreat addition to your already very lively diorama. The pair of Jetblue A321neos also look very pretty, I think the jetblue livery suits the plane very well!

I love the A321--it seems to look really good dressed in the liveries of most airlines--and I agree with you, the jetBlue "Balloons" wears it especially well! More A321 pictures are posted immediately above. Enjoy!
Pete
Old 08-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #327
New York Metro Airport

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Really nice Airbus arrivals Pete! I have both the American A321NEO and jetBlue A321NEO in my 1:400 collection and they're both very nice models. The livery of American Airlines looks great amongst the scenery (and wildlife!), of Dromedarius! Your Lufthansa A350 is also very sleek - I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine in 1:400!

- Cal.

KNYM | New York Metro Airport
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #328
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Beautiful scenery with the jetBlue A321 my friend.

Leisure airlines lover
Desperately needing: Blue Panorama B737W, neos B737 MAX8/B737W, easyJet A320neo/A321neo, Blue Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Enter Air B737 MAX8/B737W, Malta Air B737 MAX8, Ryanair B737 MAX8, Buzz B737 MAX8, Volotea A320/A319, Laudamotion A320, AlbaStar B737W, Jet2holidays B737W/B757W, ITA Airways A319, Vueling A319, TAP A319, Ukraine International B737W, SkyUp B737W, PLAY A321, Air Serbia A319, SkyExpress A320neo, Ural Airlines A320, Nordwind A321/B737W, Nordstar B737W, Rossiya A319/A320/B737W, Pobeda B737W, UTAir B737W, Kenya Airways B737W, Ethiopian Airlines B737 MAX8, Air Arabia A320, FlyOne A320, Tus Airways A320, LATAM A320, Avianca A320, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Southwest B737 MAX8/B737W, Volaris A319/A320, Nouvelair A320, SATA Dash 8-400, Air Europa B737W, Israir A320, JetTime B737-700WL.
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #329
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Great touch with the wildlife Pete, although I'm sure I wouldn't be so confident seeing a hippo next to a runway. Those mighty animals could tear the fence down with ease!

Stay safe during the hurricane Pete, best of luck.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: https://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #330
ATP Captain

Thanks to the efficient night-lighting and microwave landing system at Dromedarius Airport, evening operations have taken on a more important role for American Airlines at the facility. This gives the carrier numerous scheduling options, including the ability to promote 2- and 3-night getaways from U.S. east coast cities. Using these flights, passengers can work a full day at their jobs, and then depart afterwards, arriving in Dromedarius around 11:00 p.m. After a good night’s sleep at one of its many fine resorts, these lucky passengers wake up the next morning to an enjoyable long weekend on the island.

An example is American’s nighttime flight from Charlotte, flown by the trustworthy A319 aircraft and seen here arriving on runway 27:

Another prime evening flight is operated by AA from JFK, also with A319 equipment. Here is the flight coming in to DRX, with the church of San Pedro and the medieval town in the foreground:

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-03-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: