MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 9 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #121
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
The grey area south of the mountain will be a mixed-use, high-density urban area, drawing on Waikiki, Tel Aviv, & Singapore for its inspirations. If you look closely you can make out numerous acrylic box shapes--I am doing this as an urban planning exercise to maximize building heights and proximities, without destroying any one particular building's view shed.

The grey area north of the airport is also still being worked on, it is the original fishing village.
I thought you might be planning something like that Pete - it will be great to see this area complete with the high density buildings you mentioned! The fishing village also sounds very interesting - your diorama will definitely be a masterpiece once the remaining construction has been completed!

Great to see the PAWA MD-80 operating in your most recent photos too!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #122
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
I thought you might be planning something like that Pete - it will be great to see this area complete with the high density buildings you mentioned! The fishing village also sounds very interesting - your diorama will definitely be a masterpiece once the remaining construction has been completed!

Great to see the PAWA MD-80 operating in your most recent photos too!

- Cal.

I agree, the PAWA MD-80 is a good-looking airplane model/definitely fits my airport's location! The high rise buildings will roll out slowly and will add much character during the nighttime photo shoots, as the entire south side is wired for illumination
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #123
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Wow Pete, the updates are amazing, the surrounding terrain and city add so much to the overall airport, the traffic is a nice jumble, and on top of that, the elephants story is just crazy enough to be believable, not to mention the lights! It's just so amazing! Have you thought about installing an approach lighting system? With some small and cheap computers, you c an make the lights flash exactly like the real ones.
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #124
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by United 752 View Post
Wow Pete, the updates are amazing, the surrounding terrain and city add so much to the overall airport, the traffic is a nice jumble, and on top of that, the elephants story is just crazy enough to be believable, not to mention the lights! It's just so amazing! Have you thought about installing an approach lighting system? With some small and cheap computers, you c an make the lights flash exactly like the real ones.

Thanks for your comments! I'm particularly glad that you liked the elephant story--I like to put in a few slightly off-the-wall anecdotes once in awhile, just to keep things light-hearted and interesting

Regarding the approach lighting system, while Part One of the Magic Triology "San Ysidro" doesn't have enough terrain on either end of runway 10/28 to do justice to such an installation,I'm happy to report that Parts Two (Dromedarius) and Three (St. Francis) DO--I am going to have to figure something out because adding a flashing strobe light sequence to guide my 1:500 planes in for landing would be AWESOME! I'll have to do an online search for the materials or head down to the model train shop in Miami (known as Ready to Roll--an amazing place in its own right, btw) to seek out their expertise. Also, if any of our readers have any suggestions or inputs to help me realize this kind of lighting system, I would be eternally grateful!

Pete

St. Francis airport, a work in progress: could an approach path lighting system to runway 3 be in its future?

The other option is to install the approach lighting on St. Francis' runway 9/27, which is adjacent to this lake and cypress forest (modeled to be a tiny slice of the Big Cypress National Forest, west of the Florida Everglades and east of the town of Naples in Collier County on the Gulf of Mexico):

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-01-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:18 PM   #125
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

A pleasure for the eyes my friend, i love everything of this airport, especially the landscape and all the animals around it...

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:20 PM   #126
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

A real treat for my eyes. Your surronding development is stunning! I'd like to stay in the high building right before the landing at rwy 03 at St Francis!
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:01 AM   #127
Senior Captain

Part Five, KLM Anthology: A DC-10, MD-11, and 747 Tribute:

The final installment of this thread’s KLM Airline Focus will look at some of the widebody planes that helped to create the worldwide presence for which KLM is famous. To begin, a picture of a beautiful KLM DC-10, shown immediately before its early evening touchdown on San Ysidro’s runway 10:

Next, the aircraft is seen parked at Gate C-10, resting overnight before its trans-Atlantic journey the next day:

Wheels up, the workhorse DC-10 is shown taking off from SYX runway 10, bound for Amsterdam:

Is it good to be “two-faced?” This is up to the readers of this thread to decide, after viewing this DC-10 painted in the Northwest/KLM hybrid livery seen here exiting runway 10/28 at San Ysidro International:

“Coming right at you!” A full frontal view of the NW/KL hybrid DC-10:

The MD-11, successor to the DC-10, was a very capable machine regarding both range and passenger capacity. In this photo, a KLM MD-11 pushes back in preparation for the next leg of its trip, a flight to Curacao:

The sudden retirement of KLM’s remaining 747 fleet at the end of March, 2020 was a sad event for the entire aviation world. In happier times, here is a photo of a 744 Combi model at the threshold of runway 10, about to take off for St. Maarten, and then returning to Amsterdam:

Finally, the complete lineup of my five KLM 747 airplane models in the 1:500 scale. With our hobby, we can preserve the fond memories we have of this amazing machine and other aviation relics from bygone days, thereby maintaining, at least in miniature, important pieces of aviation history:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-02-2020 at 06:14 AM. Reason: [url=https://flic.kr/p/2iJuhDX][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49707569593_1774f93be3_c.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://
Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #128
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
A pleasure for the eyes my friend, i love everything of this airport, especially the landscape and all the animals around it...

Thank-you for the compliments, Alesandro. Putting in the occasional unexpected creature juxtaposed with all of the airplanes makes the story a little more interesting!
I will have more pictures to post, of airplanes both past and present, so that all of my models can step out of their display boxes and get some well-deserved fresh air!
Pete
Old 04-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #129
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
A real treat for my eyes. Your surronding development is stunning! I'd like to stay in the high building right before the landing at rwy 03 at St Francis!

I know what you mean--the views from this highrise building would be an airplane-lover's dream come true. By the way, the short motel buildings (inspired by the erstwhile mom and pop establishments of the old Sunny Isles Beach area, Miami) immediately in front of runway 03 were originally going to be much taller, but this would have made operations impossible for both takeoffs and landings--even more dramatic than the old Kai Tak! Here is a view of the buildings that had originally been planned for this section of shoreline in St. Francis:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-02-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #130
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

That 747 line up is gorgeous, well done!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #131
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
That 747 line up is gorgeous, well done!

Thank-you! I can't get enough of this beautiful icon. She will be missed
Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #132
Senior Captain

Iberia Airlines Anthology:
Iberia Airlines is the primary European carrier servicing San Ysidro, generally offering four flights a day to the island (Spanish carrier Vueling also flies here from Barcelona via the Canary Islands twice daily; these services will be highlighted elsewhere in the MAGIC thread).

1) Current Iberia Widebodies at San Ysidro:
The “Flagship Route” MAD-SYX is currently operated every day by A330 aircraft. In this picture, an A330-200 is seen exiting the runway after landing at San Ysidro:

The A330 arrives at gate C-10. As a One World alliance member, Iberia likes to group its operations alongside fellow member American Airlines:

This happens to be a particularly busy day, with both the morning AND afternoon Madrid nonstops being flown by A330s. Here we see the A330-200 morning departure about to back up from C-10, as the A330-300 (a substitution for the usual A321) morning arrival pulls in:

Ready for the voyage back to Spain, an A330-300 is seen ready for takeoff on runway 28. Two sailboats are hurrying over to the end of the runway for some great photo-ops!

Iberia’s original A330s were delivered in the old paint scheme, sporting the beloved “up-and-over” tri-colored red/orange/yellow stripes. This paint scheme was echoed, albeit in different shades of blue, in the former Aerolineas Argentinas’ livery. Two old-color Iberia A330-300s are seen in this view, during the Christmas 2014 holiday rush:

The ultra-long, ‘stretched’ fuselage A340-600, was one of the longest passenger planes produced. Due to its size, this plane was not scheduled to fly to SYX, but here is one such example on a rare visit to the island, substituting for the less-capacious A330-300 that had broken down in Madrid that morning:

Finally, a view of the stunning A350-900, seen as it exits from 10/28, arriving at San Ysidro for an orientation visit:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #133
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Iberia's vibrant livery is a perfect match for the tropical backdrop of San Ysidro Pete! It's difficult to choose a favourite from this group of elegant Airbus widebodies, but there's definitely something special about the Iberia A340-600.

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #134
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Iberia's vibrant livery is a perfect match for the tropical backdrop of San Ysidro Pete! It's difficult to choose a favourite from this group of elegant Airbus widebodies, but there's definitely something special about the Iberia A340-600.

- Cal.
The warm colors of Iberia's planes, both inside and out, truly reflect the welcoming nature of the people and the hospitality of the country. In this batch of planes, the A340 and the A350 stand out as passenger favorites, although I love the A330 as well. !! Viva Iberia, Viva Espana !!
Pete
Old 04-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #135
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The red and yellow does match the scenery as Cal described, its planes of course associated with routes to colorful South America. I too have a soft spot for the A340-600, a very elegant plane!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: