MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 8 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #106
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
I really love your layout

The Netherlands, not Holland
Oops, my bad. Sorry and please keep watching
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #107
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

KLM Part Three: Airbus Widebodies at San Ysidro--The Action Continues

The KLM A330 also has a presence at San Ysidro International Airport. The airline monitors projected vs. actual bookings for this flight quite closely, so as to match the aircraft size as best as possible to the passenger load. The A330 in this picture is docked at the gate while passengers disembark to their vacation destination:

The return flight to Amsterdam arrives at the threshold of runway 28, ready to pirouette and then take to the skies:

Here is the KLM A330 trundling down the runway, just before rotation!

In a "Blast From The Past," we have a great view of one of KLM's athletic-looking A310 airplanes waiting for the BA DC-10 flight to Gatwick to taxi forward so that access for the KLM plane can be cleared to Gate B-6. These trim aircraft were present on the island during the 1990's:

The A310 settles in to Gate B-6 on the Satellite Concourse to complete arrival formalities. This was a night time flight, so everyone just wants to disembark and get to their respective hotels:

Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #108
Senior Captain

Obviously the members and guests of this forum relish the opportunity to go to the airport, whether to fly, to take pictures, or just to revel in all of the ambient excitement of the venue. Airports certainly present much adventure on a daily basis, much of it with a personal and even humorous side. A case in point was the drama surrounding last year's trade fair in San Ysidro; Sky Team affiliate Delta Air Lines brought a large peanut replica aboard their 747-400 (so more than one jumbo pictured here!) to display in the Georgia Pavillion. When the resident elephants saw it, they quite literally "went nuts!"

Here we see the inquisitive, curious, and determined pachyderms scramble up the airport rocks, across runway 10, and run toward the peanut!

There was, of course, the inevitable showdown between one elephant and another Sky Team member, this KLM 737-800! Luckily, the local veterinarians responded quickly and eventually everything returned to normal, and the elephants, the KLM plane, and the peanut display were all unharmed:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-29-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #109
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Some more interesting sights from your tropical island airport Pete! A selection of my favourites this time were the Turkish A321, Turkish A330, KLM B777-300/ER and that polished American DC-10 which was definitely a highlight! It would be great to see an overview of the whole layout in one photo if you're able to fit it all in to one photo?

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #110
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I would not want to be in that KLM 737, Pete. A fitting tribute to KLM since the airline's last 747 flight has arrived today.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:54 AM   #111
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Some more interesting sights from your tropical island airport Pete! A selection of my favourites this time were the Turkish A321, Turkish A330, KLM B777-300/ER and that polished American DC-10 which was definitely a highlight! It would be great to see an overview of the whole layout in one photo if you're able to fit it all in to one photo?

- Cal.

Thank-you for your compliments on the aircraft mix displayed! Over time, I am going to continue the photo series with as much diversity as possible, to not only reflect my collection but also the range of tastes that other forum participants have. In answer to your request for some overview pictures, here we have a few:

1) Looking across the narrow aspect of the island, from east to west. San Ysidro airport is in the middle of the diorama:

2) Airport display with custom-made acrylic cover in place. The cover was made in 4 sections, and even at just 1/2 inch thickness, is VERY heavy to remove. It is great to have the covers available to protect the project from dust during those extended periods when I am not working on the model or photographing it, and it enhances the static quality of the display--like something you would see in a museum!

3) Night time view:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-31-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:50 AM   #112
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I would not want to be in that KLM 737, Pete. A fitting tribute to KLM since the airline's last 747 flight has arrived today.

I totally agree! Even though these elephants are relatively domesticated due to their exposure to humans, they are still wild animals and can be quite unpredictable! Thanks much for following the progression of this thread, and for commenting (which means a lot for me as a diorama builder AND adds considerably to the heartbeat of the forum). There are still a few more chapters in the KLM anthology
Old 03-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #113
Senior Captain

Part Four: KLM Operations During The Slow Season:

The months in late spring (mid-April and May) and most of fall (September, October, and November) see less European passenger traffic. The equipment is adjusted to reflect the reduced capacity requirements, and mid-week ops are adequately covered by a single 737-900 flight from Amsterdam, seen here upon landing on runway 28:

Fridays and Sundays are the exception, however, whereby two Boeing 737's come to the island. In this view, we see both planes parked at the Satellite Concourse:

The smaller of the two Friday flights is sometimes operated by the sporty 737-700. We have a dizzying view looking down on this plane from straight above, as it enters the turn-around for takeoff from runway 28:

Just about ready to go! The yacht and the little sailboat have positioned themselves perfectly for some awesome departure photographs of the KLM 737-700:

Tuesdays are the absolute slowest day of the week for air travel, not only on San Ysidro but
at most airports worldwide. Operations are adjusted accordingly, which thus explains this Embraer seen landing on runway 10:

Now, some "Blasts From The Past" depicting KLM's smaller aircraft at SYX. First of all, a little Fokker putzing along to runway 28 after servicing, en-route to the Lesser Antilles a few years back for possible interisland service between Bonaire, Aruba, and Curacao:

Ready for Take-off--from this photograph, you can almost hear the whirling sounds of the propellers!!!

This DC-9 has landed at San Ysidro for re-fueling, while on a ferry flight from Amsterdam to the desert aircraft storage facility at Marana Airpark:

The DC-9 was the jet equivalent of the DC-3--a tough airplane that brought modern air transport to smaller communities. This view shows a KLM DC-9 about to take off following service at SYX, on its way to Arizona for storage and either re-sale, or parting out/salvage:

Finally, a KLM Fokker 70, which is following the DC-9 across the Atlantic on its way to storage:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-31-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:38 AM   #114
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Your diorama is larger than I expected, and surely looks great at night! It's also very nostalgic to see the KLM Fokker 50 again, a clean looking prop IMHO.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #115
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

I really like your large diorama with all the beautiful scenery. I love your tilting bridge, your attention to detail is amazing. And the lightning lits you diorama a lot!
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #116
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Your diorama is larger than I expected, and surely looks great at night! It's also very nostalgic to see the KLM Fokker 50 again, a clean looking prop IMHO.

Thank-you! The lighting definitely increases not only photographic options, but also makes the whole display a conversation piece (It is currently sitting in my living room). I love the Fokker 50, and seeing those little propellers on the 1:500 model brings all of the sound and vibration memories back to life!
Pete
Old 03-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #117
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
I really like your large diorama with all the beautiful scenery. I love your tilting bridge, your attention to detail is amazing. And the lightning lits you diorama a lot!

I am glad you are taking the time to notice the details!! By having a lot of scenery, I am able to do more creative photography and also support the story lines better. Keep watching, keep enjoying
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #118
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Thank-you for your compliments on the aircraft mix displayed! Over time, I am going to continue the photo series with as much diversity as possible, to not only reflect my collection but also the range of tastes that other forum participants have. In answer to your request for some overview pictures, here we have a few.
That sounds like a great idea Pete - I'm there will always be something for everyone to enjoy on display at San Ysidro. Thanks also for sharing the overview photos, your diorama is certainly spectacular - especially with that museum-style acrylic cover in place! What's happening with the grey area behind the mountain, is this area still under construction?

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #119
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
That sounds like a great idea Pete - I'm there will always be something for everyone to enjoy on display at San Ysidro. Thanks also for sharing the overview photos, your diorama is certainly spectacular - especially with that museum-style acrylic cover in place! What's happening with the grey area behind the mountain, is this area still under construction?

- Cal.

The grey area south of the mountain will be a mixed-use, high-density urban area, drawing on Waikiki, Tel Aviv, & Singapore for its inspirations. If you look closely you can make out numerous acrylic box shapes--I am doing this as an urban planning exercise to maximize building heights and proximities, without destroying any one particular building's view shed:

The grey area north of the airport is also still being worked on, it is the original fishing village:

Old 03-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #120
Senior Captain

A few lovelies that have visited San Ysidro over the years:

The exotic Lanica 727-100 as an early-morning arrival, on the way to the hangar for scheduled maintenance:

An Ecuatoriana 707-300 emerges from the hangar with a fresh paint job!:

Another early morning arrival, this LAB 707 Cargo plane has just landed at SYX for refueling, on its way to London:

Completing its roll out after landing on runway 10, this PAWA MD-80 has just arrived from Santo Domingo:

Finally, we see a Flying Tiger DC-8 Stretch Freighter, downwind from runway 28, preparing for an early evening arrival:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-31-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: