MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 7 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #91
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

I like Delta traffic because i love Delta, one of my most favourite airlines.
About cargo traffic unfortunately very often cargo airplanes are under represented, while all the action around a cargo airplane is something of fantastic.
Great display of cargo airplanes and great story about them and about the delicious food.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM   #92
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I like Delta traffic because i love Delta, one of my most favourite airlines.
About cargo traffic unfortunately very often cargo airplanes are under represented, while all the action around a cargo airplane is something of fantastic.
Great display of cargo airplanes and great story about them and about the delicious food.

Thank you for the recognition and compliments, as well as for noticing the giant pretzels being offloaded from the special UPS Munich flight. This weekend I will put up another batch of pictures--I've got numerous other photography angles to explore at my facility!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #93
RJ Second Officer

Slash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributor

Pete, its been a while since i have been on here but wow have you been busy! This is all great work! The creativity in the landscape is amazing! On top of that your story behind the pictures adds great detail! Look forward to seeing more from this airport!
Slash01z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #94
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

It seems that Turkish Airlines flies to almost every significant destination on earth; as luck would have it, they fly to San Ysidro as well! The following sections pertain to their operations at SYX.

Turkish was using the 737 Max 8 on one of its two daily flights to San Ysidro. Here we see the Max landing on runway 28--a truly beautiful-looking machine:

The Max 8 turning off the runway and heading toward Gate B-7:

After a quick service, with a fresh crew and full compliment of passengers, we see Turkish Airlines' 737-Max 8 at runway 28's turning point. This fantastic pose shows off the airplane's sexy scimitar wingtips:

Wheels up and back to Istanbul!

Well, with the grounding of the 737 Max 8, Turkish has had to return to two daily A321 flights on the IST-SYX route. Here we see the a.m. arrival from Istanbul, pulling in to Gate B-6:

And now, the TK A321 has completed a rapid turnaround and heads back home!

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-27-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #95
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash01z View Post
Pete, its been a while since i have been on here but wow have you been busy! This is all great work! The creativity in the landscape is amazing! On top of that your story behind the pictures adds great detail! Look forward to seeing more from this airport!

Thank-you for the compliments! I worked slowly and quietly on this airport for almost a year, and although the scenery is not 100% finished, I felt the project was far enough along to begin the thread here on Wings900. Much more to come, so stay tuned!
Pete
Old 03-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #96
Senior Captain

Turkish, Part 2

You've come a long way, baby! Check out this comparison of the Max 8 model to the 737-400. I think that overall, Herpa has made a lot of progress in our 1:500 scale:

Here we see one of the biggest visitors to San Ysidro, the Turkish Airlines A330, arriving from Istanbul. The airline uses this plane during peak holiday times in the summer:

Now, two "Blasts From The Past:"
First of all, the amazing A340 making a rare appearance in San Ysidro back in the mid-2000's. A tight fit, but quite a treat for all of the local and visiting plane-spotters:

Next, we see TWO A310's from Turkish Airlines visiting San Ysidro way back when, during the Christmas hoidays, 1995. The A310 was such a cool plane; I miss it a lot and I think it deserves a spot in this thread:

Old 03-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #97
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Cool Thing. A lot of nice ideas and creativity. GJ. I especially like the "Blast from the past", cool times….
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:54 PM   #98
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Congrats on the Turkish 73M8! Glad to see it at San Ysidro (which seems like the new Istanbul airport? )

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #99
Senior Captain

KLM at San Ysidro:
Being the world’s oldest airline and one of the most-recognized brands globally, KLM has a special place in the heart of aviation enthusiasts. It is only fitting that this amazing airline be honored with its own pictorial essay in this thread, so today’s posts will focus on KLM.

Part One: The Boeing Big Boys:
In the wide-body jet era, Boeing has had a long-lasting relationship with KLM. In this first picture, we see a Boeing 777-200 being prepared for departure from San Ysidro:

Here, another perspective of the iconic KLM 772. KLM alternates the 777-200 with the A330 on flights to the island, depending on aircraft availability and passenger/cargo loads:

As discussed in previous posts, the ‘super-sized’ Boeing 777-300 (the “W”) does NOT regularly serve San Ysidro. However, this next photo shows the KLM 773 preparing to continue its journey back home, following an unscheduled landing during the non-stop Amsterdam-Saint Maarten flight. With the technical issue resolved, the flight turns on to runway 10 for takeoff:

The Boeing 787-9 is well-suited for service to San Ysidro, and may eventually replace both the Boeing 777-200 and A330 on flights to the island. This is an aerial view of a KLM 789 parking at the gate just after arrival at San Ysidro, before the connection of the airbridges to the plane:

This next picture, featuring the KLM Boeing 787-9, indicates how busy the afternoon rush can be at SYX! Due to a technical issue with the emergency slide, the L-2 door was not operable without the slide being deployed (!) so the airbridge was not connected for this flight:

The 787-9 begins the return journey back to Amsterdam as it trundles down San Ysidro’s runway 10:

San Ysidro hosted a trade fair a few years back. The Netherlands Pavillion showcased many of their excellent products, including the export of fresh flowers worldwide. A gigantic rose sculpture was created by artisans in Amsterdam as the centerpiece of this exhibit, and is seen here being offloaded from this 747-400 Combi aircraft:

The “Combi” was substituted for the usual 777-200 on this particular day for the ‘rose mission,’ which was a surprise treat for the lucky aviation enthusiasts that were on board as well as the plane-spotters at the Sunset Beach Hilton (visible in the background) that live in San Ysidro. Here we see the flight on its return to Amsterdam:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-28-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #100
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I think the folks in Aalsmeer might need to have a closer look at the flower they sent out! Great to see so much blue in 'the tropics'

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #101
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Cool Thing. A lot of nice ideas and creativity. GJ. I especially like the "Blast from the past", cool times….

Thank you for expressing your compliments! They are most appreciated and they provide the encouragement to create more content. By the way, it is a pleasure to make these posts, especially the 'Blast From The Past Sections,' because there are otherwise few opportunities to display the older models in the collection. As valuable pieces of aviation history, they need to make appearances from time to time.
Thanks again, and stay tuned for more.
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-28-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #102
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I think the folks in Aalsmeer might need to have a closer look at the flower they sent out! Great to see so much blue in 'the tropics'

The Netherlands has contributed so much to the world. It might be little, but its significance extends logarithmically beyond its borders. One of many great things seen worldwide is KLM, and I totally agree, their beautiful blue planes are especially gorgeous when flying over azure tropical waters. Thank-you for commenting, and stay tuned for more KLM, coming up next!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-28-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #103
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

I really love your layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Holland has contributed so much to the world.
The Netherlands, not Holland

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #104
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Special guest PH-BFV, a sad day for all the Queens of the sky especially because one of the most beautiful, KLM B747-400, is leaving us.
Thanks for sharing the beautiful KLM traffic Pete, one of the few amazing-livery airlines.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #105
Senior Captain

Now with KLM, Part Two comes a 'Blast from the Past' recognizing some of the great Boeing widebodies that have been retired from KLM.

First off, we see one of KLM’s 767-300 aircraft landing on runway 10 at San Ysidro. The proximity of the Sunset Beach Hilton to SYX is reminiscent of Maho Beach in St. Maarten, not only for the close-up plane-spotting opportunities but for the variety of aircraft encountered as well:

The 763 turns off the runway and docks at Gate B-6 of SYX’s satellite concourse:

From the archives, we have this view of The Queen of the Skies, a KLM 747 in previous colors. Long may she reign, she is seen turning on to runway 10 in front of legendary Sunset Beach on her way back to the Netherlands:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-28-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: