MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 6 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #76
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Some more unique traffic Pete - there is quite the mix of classic and modern aircraft types on display! I especially liked that British Airways L-1011, but also the South African B747-SP. On the modern side, the Kenya Airways Dreamliner looks great against the tropical scenery of San Ysidro!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #77
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Wonderful Pete, great skills and fantasy.
How long did this airport take you?

Thank you for your admiration and compliments! This airport in its current version was started about one year ago--I had three of the six panels sitting around from 2014 or so but they were all radically modified to accept a longer runway, lighting, a completely different terminal/parking arrangement, about 1000 more trees, and hills/mountains. I work at a slow pace, and sometimes weeks go by without doing anything, and then suddenly I will get really creative and super productive. But, even when I am not physically working on the project (there is more to do), in the back of my brain I am still contriving improvements, techniques, and additional constructions--I consider that thought process part of the overall construction, however, because there is no way to just sit down and produce this kind of airport nonstop. All of the scenery makes for fun photo shoots. I am glad you are enjoying the thread, and remember there is more to come.
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #78
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Some more unique traffic Pete - there is quite the mix of classic and modern aircraft types on display! I especially liked that British Airways L-1011, but also the South African B747-SP. On the modern side, the Kenya Airways Dreamliner looks great against the tropical scenery of San Ysidro!

- Cal.

Thank-you Cal. I am always trying to work out some angle to this airport's storyline to accommodate a diverse cross-section of my 1:500 model collection. As the "Out of Africa" section indicates, there is often a personal connection to the models that I have accumulated over the years/I try to have models of planes that I have flown, and Herpa's slow and limited pattern of release has not helped the 1:500 sector of the hobby. Nonetheless, I am grateful for what we have. By the way, that Kenya Airways Dreamliner was surprisingly hard to come by--I had to order it from Japan! Keep watching, I am going to come up with more.
Pete

Old 03-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #79
Senior Captain

Delta One:

Although the primary air carrier between the United States and San Ysidro is American Airlines, Delta Air Lines ranks a strong second both in terms of number of fights, and number of passengers carried, between the U.S. and SYX. Delta's scheduling pattern mostly relies on late a.m. arrivals, and then early p.m. departures, using Concourse B. Here we see two Delta 737-800 aircraft being readied for departure from Gates B-4 and B-5:

The 757-300, a transplant from the Northwest Airlines fleet, flies to Atlanta during the off-peak months. Here is an example backing out from Gate B-6 on a glorious day back in October, 2019:

The A321 is truly a 'perfect aircraft' for SYX, given the island's mid-Atlantic Ocean position, equidistant from Europe and North America. Two Delta A321 aircraft are seen here taxiing for departure for JFK and BOS, respectively, while a Boeing 717 has just arrived at Gate B-7:

Finally, a view of a Delta A321 positioning for takeoff from runway 10. In the background is the amazing plane-spotting venue, the Sunset Beach Hilton:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-22-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #80
Senior Captain

"Delta Two:"

Now comes the second part of the Delta NC anthology.

First of all, we see the beautifully proportioned 767-300 at Gate C-10. This aircraft flies the route between San Ysidro and Atlanta for most of the year, except for the slower months during spring and autumn:

Requiring special operations, namely a suspension of all aircraft taxi operations when this plane is arriving or departing, and needing the use of a tug to and from Gate C-10, is Delta's 777-200. The plane rarely visits San Ysidro, but is seen here during the busy Christmas season:

An unscheduled visitor is this Delta Connection regional airplane. It is seen departing from the SYX hanger after getting some maintenance work done:

Delta's A330 is an infrequent visitor to San Ysidro, but does fly in from the U.S. East Coast when additional capacity is needed for special occasions. This example is seen departing for Boston over the Thanksgiving 2019 holiday rush:

OMG! The stunning Delta A350-900 lands at San Ysidro!! It is at SYX only for station familiarization and training purposes; there are currently no plans to fly it here on a regularly-scheduled basis:

Finally, another "Blast From The Past." Delta brought its last 747-400 to San Ysidro to give all the devoted plane spotters there one last look before retirement. This view, admittedly not the the most flattering of the jumbo's back side, shows the jet immediately upon landing from Atlanta:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-23-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #81
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Lovely display of Delta models Pete, one of my favourite carriers to fly with

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #82
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Lovely display of Delta models Pete, one of my favourite carriers to fly with

Although I mostly fly domestically with American (MIA and the OneWorld Alliance both have me trapped), I will absolutely agree that Delta is by far the best U.S. carrier, with Alaska and JetBlue tied for second place. Nonetheless, all of my AA Advantage miles have allowed me much, much travel on the greatest airlines of all, Qatar, Qantas, Etihad and Cathay, so at least there is a silver lining to using American Airlines. Next, I will begin a tribute to some more European carriers, and perhaps some building techniques. Stay tuned and thanks for following along!

Pete
Old 03-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #83
Senior Captain

Strange Circumstances = Strange Flight Patterns

With the sudden collapse of Air Italy and the cessation of flights at the end of February, 2020, there were some unexpected flight operations. Helping to bring people back to Miami from Milan was this wet-leased Oman Airlines A330, shown here repositioning to begin this airlift, initially flying from Muscat to South Florida via San Ysidro:

The large-wingspan Airbus fits snugly into Gate C-10:

After a quick one-hour service, the Oman Air flight resumes its journey to Miami with a take-off from runway 28:

Old 03-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #84
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

How many models in total do you have in your collection Pete? I also have a Kenya Airways Dreamliner in my 1:400 scale collection, but thankfully I didn't have to search as far as Japan to find one! Anyway, some more nice updates! I think the Oman Air livery looks great on the A330 - it's nice to see this uncommon bird at your airport. Also nice to see your fleet of Delta models surrounded by the always colourful scenery of San Ysidro!

Thanks for posting.

- Cal.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #85
Senior Captain

Quote:
How many models in total do you have in your collection Pete? I also have a Kenya Airways Dreamliner in my 1:400 scale collection, but thankfully I didn't have to search as far as Japan to find one! Anyway, some more nice updates! I think the Oman Air livery looks great on the A330 - it's nice to see this uncommon bird at your airport. Also nice to see your fleet of Delta models surrounded by the always colourful scenery of San Ysidro!

Thanks for posting.

- Cal.

Hi Cal,
I think I have about 700 1:500 models. To be honest, there are some that were impulse purchases and don't really make sense relative to the location of my dioramas but as you can see, with the way aviation and airports are, there are still so many ways (i.e. unscheduled stops, ferry flights, repairs at the hanger, salvage of derelict planes, etc.) to work them into the display anyway! And, there is part of the collection that has nostalgic value because it involves planes that I have actually flown on, including the Oman Air--we went there for spring break last month, just before this new virus started having a global impact. Glad to have taken a vacation then, because it looks like traveling is off the table for now (and sending my prayers to all of those people impacted). Thank-you again for following and commenting!

Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-23-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #86
Senior Captain

Precious Cargo on Board:

Although the bulk of the island's staples and commodities arrive to San Ysidro by ship, there exists a steady and reliable demand for air cargo to transport perishable imports and exports, as well as other items that are needed on an expedited basis.

The Air Cargo facility at SYX consists of an ingenious, bi-level design, whereby the tarmac (upper) level offers onloading and offloading services to cargo aircraft, while the lower level acts both as a sorting facility and also serves the delivery trucks:

Here is an aerial view of "S * Cargo" (which is by the way, a play on the French word escargot, also significant in this case because of the volume of seafood exported from San Ysidro). The dual level of this construction is visible here:

The lower-level roadway is open only to cargo vehicles and as such van and truck traffic can go quickly from the cargo center to the town and back. Here, a FedEx van whooshes along the roadway directly beneath a FedEx 727-100C:

A UPS 727-100C has just finished loading its cargo and will depart SYX shortly:

DHL is one of the main air cargo carriers at San Ysidro. The favored aircraft for this purpose used to be the venerable DC-9, as seen in this photo:

DHL has upgraded their cargo services at SYX to the much more capacious 757-200, shown here in this view:

The Cargo building is shared by the airport emergency services--the EMS vehicles are visible to the right side of the facility:

Finally, in another "Blast From the Past," we see an old DHL DC-8 Stretch. I miss seeing these beautiful birds coming in to Fort Lauderdale early in the morning--truly a sight for sore eyes!! Thank goodness, we can preserve the memories of historic aircraft and the romance and nostalgia that surrounds aviation, through our hobby:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-23-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:37 PM   #87
Triple-7 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Hi Cal,
I think I have about 700 1:500 models. To be honest, there are some that were impulse purchases and don't really make sense relative to the location of my dioramas but as you can see, with the way aviation and airports are, there are still so many ways (i.e. unscheduled stops, ferry flights, repairs at the hanger, salvage of derelict planes, etc.) to work them into the display anyway! And, there is part of the collection that has nostalgic value because it involves planes that I have actually flown on, including the Oman Air--we went there for spring break last month, just before this new virus started having a global impact. Glad to have taken a vacation then, because it looks like traveling is off the table for now (and sending my prayers to all of those people impacted). Thank-you again for following and commenting!

Pete
That's quite the collection Pete! You've definitely been very creative with the storytelling to make sure that as many of your models can be featured here as possible - it's great to see such a variety on aircraft of display. It's always nice to have a model of an aircraft that you've actually flown on.

Anyway, nice to see your airport also has a cargo section! I'm loving that UPS B727 and the DHL B757 is also very nice. Do any widebody freighters land here? Something like an MD-11/F or B747-400/F would be great to see!

- Cal.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #88
Senior Captain

Quote:
That's quite the collection Pete! You've definitely been very creative with the storytelling to make sure that as many of your models can be featured here as possible - it's great to see such a variety on aircraft of display. It's always nice to have a model of an aircraft that you've actually flown on.

Anyway, nice to see your airport also has a cargo section! I'm loving that UPS B727 and the DHL B757 is also very nice. Do any widebody freighters land here? Something like an MD-11/F or B747-400/F would be great to see!

- Cal.
Indeed, there is seasonal widebody freighter service to San Ysidro! For example, during the annual lobster harvest, there is a very high demand for the export of these delicious crustaceans! Here we see a UPS 767-300F loading up at the S*Cargo facility:

This past year saw quite a bountiful yield of spiny lobsters, so much that UPS ran TWO daily 767-300 services to SYX. A second 763 (in the old UPS colors) waits for its turn to receive the precious cargo, while the NC example finishes loading:

DHL also gets in on the seafood action: they deployed a 767-300 freighter this past season as well:

A few years back, an A300 freighter was sent by DHL as an occasional visitor to SYX whenever additional uplift was needed:

During non-peak times, UPS flies this beautiful (albeit narrow-body) 757-200F to the island:

"Plus-sized" cargo aircraft cannot be accommodated at San Ysidro's venerable S*Cargo facility, and as such freighters larger than a 767-300 do not make regular trips to the island. However, special arrangements can be made for freighters with greater wingspans and/or longer fuselage lengths, on an as-needed basis. Here is a UPS MD-11 completing such a mission at SYX last autumn. I wonder what unusual cargo it might be carrying?

Docking at Gate C-10, the MD-11 offloads its special cargo: a pair of enormous pretzels flown in from a bakery in Munich to kick off the annual Oktoberfest celebrations!

As a proactive company, UPS has also sent the occasional 747-400 freighter to San Ysidro for mock training exercises. As mentioned above, although regular scheduled freighter service is off the table for this size of cargo plane at this station, nonetheless one never knows when a 747 might have to call on the island under special circumstances, so staff needs to be familiarized with the plane. Here we see a UPS 747-400 after landing on runway 28:

Finally, in a "Blast From The Past," a UPS 767-300, resplendent in Olympic colours, heads back to the U.S.A. after taking off from runway 28:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-25-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #89
Triple-7 Fan

Another great bit of storytelling Pete and great scenery as always - thanks for sharing a few more photos of some larger cargo aircraft! I'm very envious of your DHL B767/F as I've wanted one of those in 1:400 scale for a very long time. Anyway, another highlight was the UPS MD-11/F - it will be a real shame when these tri-jet workhorses finally fade away.

- Cal.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #90
Senior Captain

Quote:
Another great bit of storytelling Pete and great scenery as always - thanks for sharing a few more photos of some larger cargo aircraft! I'm very envious of your DHL B767/F as I've wanted one of those in 1:400 scale for a very long time. Anyway, another highlight was the UPS MD-11/F - it will be a real shame when these tri-jet workhorses finally fade away.

- Cal.

Thank-you Cal. Always a pleasure to do a comprehensive airplane type review--it gives my models the exposure that they would not otherwise get, sitting on the shelf! Related to this notion and on a broader note, one underlying theme of my thread is to show how a story line can justify the presence of a world-wide and diversified airplane model fleet, congregating at a single model airport. A case in point: if not for the story, the Oman Air plane featured above would never merit even a single photograph as part of any of my projects, because my airports are remote from that airline's home base and not part of the airline's normal route structure. I hope that other collectors can benefit from this point of view and fill their dioramas with planes from all over the place (and then share the resulting pictures with us here on the forum!). Wishing everyone here more happy collecting, and happy diorama-making!
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: