MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 5 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-18-2020, 07:49 PM   #61
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
At least someone is celebrating Saint Patties

'Twas also a good excuse to display my limited number of Aer Lingus beauties! I have the Aer Lingus NC A320 on order as well, but unfortunately it hadn't arrived in time for the St. Pat's festivities/it should be here soon
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 PM   #62
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What a beautiful scenes Pete, thanks for sharing Alitalia Caravelle and all the wonderful airplanes of the past, but especially great pics.

I'm always eager to share some photos of my Italian lovelies! I'm trying to concoct an excuse or occasion to display some more! Thanks also for your compliments, this means a lot and helps support the inner drive that propels the creative process.
Pete
Old 03-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #63
Senior Captain

What's up with the air shuttles?

Thanks to its "Open Skies" policy, an extrardinarily active inter-island air shuttle market has emerged, connecting San Ysidro with the neighboring islands of Dromedarius and St. Francis. American Eagle competes strongly with Iberia, and to a lesser extent jetBlue, on these flights. In the opening scene, we have an American Eagle jet just a few seconds from touching down on runway 28, arriving from Dromedarius, an island about 450 miles to the east.

Departures and arrivals must be timed VERY tightly when Runway 28 is in use during a wind coming from the west, because the runway/taxiway is a shared situation on the eastern half of 10/28--departing planes have to backtrack down the runway to the turning point, and then take off. Soooo, just as the landing Eagle flight whooshes past the lineup of other a.m. shuttle flights waiting to take of, another little regional jet quickly enters the runway!

Iberia Regional/Air Nostrum provides some serious inter-island competition for American. Some days, there are so many Iberia flights that you might mistake yourself for being somewhere in Spain! Here we see two little regionals parked at Gates A-2 and A-3--no jet bridges here, embarcation and dis-embarcation is via air stairs:

JetBlue also flies between San Ysidro and Dromedarius. It is a minor player on the route, but seeing their beautifully-painted Embraer jets is always a welcome sight!

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-18-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #64
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Thanks for the kind words Pete - the Dubai diorama I had was great, but unfortunately there were many important models which never got realised in 1:400 scale. Anyway, the scenery around your airports definitely makes for very interesting photography and it really brings the diorama to life. I'll look forward to seeing photos from St. Francis, especially if you're planning to show up to three A380's on the ground at once!

P.S. I really like the various L-1011's that have been making an appearance lately!

- Cal.

It's funny that those of us in the 1:500 scale are envious of the 1:400 releases, and you guys feel the same way towards our scale! In a perfect world, we would both have all of the planes that our collective hearts' desire! Thanks for mentioning in a positive way, the Aer Lingus, Eastern, and TWA L-1011 models that made their appearances here. The Tri-Star was one of those beautiful and unique planes, that suddenly slipped out of usage and was retired in favor of more fuel-efficient types. I took a chance by putting them in some of my scenes, but I will continue to include pictures of historic airplane models from time to time for the life of this thread (along with many modern types, of course!) just because I feel it is of value to depict the broad spectrum of aviation, both past and present. Keep enjoying, and thank-you for following along.
Pete
Old 03-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #65
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

WOW I love all the scenery and aircraft, great seeing my A321 alongside all the wonderful traffic!
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:16 AM   #66
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by United 752 View Post
WOW I love all the scenery and aircraft, great seeing my A321 alongside all the wonderful traffic!
Hi there Chris. I was hoping you would see your wonderful contribution to my diorama: the custom American Airlines A321 that you made for me is one of the all-time favorites in my entire collection! You will see it frequently in the pictures of this airport, I think it is a masterpiece
Also, I am glad you are enjoying the thread, and thank-you for the compliments. Having all of the scenery has certainly made the storyline and the photography aspects of the posts a lot of fun to do. I've got much more content coming, so stay on board!!
Yours truly, Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-19-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 PM   #67
Senior Captain

JetBlue is having a moment at San Ysidro. In the first photo of this sequence, the notorious 'Bluericua' A320 flight from San Juan lands on runway 10:

Next, we see jetBlue's Boston flight landing right behind the Bluericua:

Finally, it appears that as of 10:00a.m., Concourse B has been overtaken by jetBlue!
The flight to San Juan is being prepared at Gate B-5, the JFK flight will be leaving from the A321-sized Gate B-6, and the return to Boston will depart from Gate B-7. One of everybody's favorite carriers and truly an underdog, let us cheer together: "Go BLUE!!"

Old 03-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #68
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Nice JetBlue action! Still need to put my hands on that Bluericua A320. Hopefully Herpa will release more special JB A320s.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #69
Senior Captain

British Airways was serving San Ysidro with non-stops from Heathrow using a 787-8 for awhile in 2018-2019. The enormous wingspan of this advanced jetliner just barely fits Gate C-10:

BA changed their marketing strategy in late 2019, by offering THREE non-stop flights to the United Kingdom, albeit using smaller planes. Here we see the two early afternoon arrivals from Manchester (the A319 in the foreground parked at Gate B-5) and from LHR (the A320 with Sharklets in the background at B-6):

British also flies a late afternoon service to London, operated by this A320 with the old-style wingtip fences. This departure will undoubtedly be delayed--the tug would LIKE to push the aircraft back, but is blocked by a gridlock of tugs towing their baggage trailers !!

Here is a real piece of eye candy: Comair 737-800 (a licensed BA product operating in South Africa) operating on its ferry/delivery flight heading to Jo'Berg!!

Finally, as part of my ongoing "Blast from the Past" series (whereby a beauty from the past will be featured), we pay homage to the British L-1011:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-19-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:07 PM   #70
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
Nice JetBlue action! Still need to put my hands on that Bluericua A320. Hopefully Herpa will release more special JB A320s.

Thank-you Leo! Indeed, the Bluericua would look amazing at Willy White. Plus, with your airport's location, a rotation from the jetBlue San Juan operation would be feasible and reasonable.

Pete
Old 03-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #71
Senior Captain

Etihad was considering adding an extension to their seasonal service to Malaga, continuing to San Ysidro. This would have been a wonderul summer getaway route for residents of the Gulf. Shown here is an Etihad A321 doing a route proving run; unfortunately given the current state of things, it doesn't seem like it will happen!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #72
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I'd hate to be delayed because of traffic, imagine that. You make it to the airport only to be stuck in 'traffic' awaiting push!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #73
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I'd hate to be delayed because of traffic, imagine that. You make it to the airport only to be stuck in 'traffic' awaiting push!

Thanks for being observant to the details, including commenting on the baggage-cart gridlock situation. No-one else seemed to noticeI like to put in all sorts of additional things, some of them perhaps bordering on the ridiculous, just to keep things interesting!
Pete
Old 03-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #74
Senior Captain

"OUT OF AFRICA" Part I

This past summer, I re-visited Africa and spent time in both Kenya and South Africa. First we see a giraffe that insisted on coming home with me (AND took the coveted window seat to boot!!), and a picture of some elephants at the watering hole at the safari lodge.

[/url]

Our summer vacation started in South Africa, and then for the second half of the trip we flew the Kenya Airways Dreamliner from Cape Town to Nairobi. In this picture, the KQ 788 is in San Ysidro after doing some proving flights for new routes to the United States; we see the plane turning to take off from runway 28, heading back to Kenya.

In another "Blast From The Past," there is a photo of South African Airway's 747-SP leaving San Ysidro after having stopped there on the flight between Miami and Cape Town; the tail of a SAA B-707 is visible also sticking out from the hanger:

Finally, an Air Afrique DC-10 was in San Ysidro, getting its No. 2 engine serviced:

With the repairs complete, we see a departing shot of this wonderful bird heading back to Abidjan:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-21-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:04 PM   #75
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Wonderful Pete, great skills and fantasy.
How long did this airport take you?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: