MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 4 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #46
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Some nostalgia:
1) Alitalia Caravelle at the hanger in San Ysidro:

2) Eastern L-1011 making a go-around on the evening flight from Miami, circa 1985:

uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #47
Second Officer

getifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobbygetifero is a legend of the hobby

These are almost unreally playful sceneries in surreal times. Again, thank you very much for taking the time and effort.
getifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #48
Earning My Wings

Felipe143 is getting startedFelipe143 is getting startedFelipe143 is getting startedFelipe143 is getting started

Hi, i enjoyed very much these awesome dioramas
Keep doing so, they're amazing.

nice regards!
Felipe143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 PM   #49
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Amazing work on this diorama Pete! It's great to see an airport diorama complete with surrounding scenery too - most of us tend to use all of the available space to model the airport, leaving little room for scenery. The lights also really bring your diorama to life! I had lights installed on my previous Dubai diorama, so I know how challenging they can be to work with!

Looking forward to more!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #50
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Firstly, to all the Irish (and honorary Irish) people on board:

!!! HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY !!!

We shall begin our Irish tribute with our first subject, the lovely Aer Lingus A320, docked at San Ysidro International Airport's Gate C-10 (note the innovative triangular hangar in the distance)

This closeup overhead view shows the flexible gate situation at Gate C-10. There are three customizable parking arrangements made possible by the design of this gate. One configuration is for whenever a dual jetway boarding scenario presents itself, with everything ranging from an A321 or B-757 up to a B-777-200. In such a case, the two bridges can be positioned to accommodate doors L-1 and L-2 at the same time. A second layout is depicted in this example, with just the forward door being used for boarding this A320. Single door jet boarding is often best done with the primary jetway in its fully extended position:

Finally, on St. Patrick's Day, Aer Lingus sent a lovely A330 on the Dublin route. In this view, we see it preparing to return to Ireland with a takeoff from runway 10:

Last edited by uncle beat; 03-18-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #51
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

I really like your setup and informative posts! Can we have more shots of the triangular hangar? The Aer Lingus A333 lining up the runway is a wonderful look. I really impressed on how you manage to fill all aircraft to such constrained space.
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #52
Senior Captain

Luck of the Irish!!

For awhile, the Aer Lingus fleet was a strange assortment of planes. One example is this L-1011 making a low pass over the reefs at the south end of San Ysidro before returning to the Emerald Isle. The lucky starboard passengers were given a glimpse of a pod of three whales frolicking in the bay, a final delight coming at holiday's end. While the passengers were obviously thrilled with this sighting, it appears that the whales couldn't care less!

The arrival of efficient narrow-body jets has allowed the marketing benefits of increased frequencies to small destinations (like San Ysidro) over what was previously only economically viable with larger widebody planes making just one or two round trips per week. Such was the case with Aer Lingus' B-747 once-a-week flight from Dublin back in the 1970's, seen here on takeoff:

Old 03-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #53
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
I really like your setup and informative posts! Can we have more shots of the triangular hangar? The Aer Lingus A333 lining up the runway is a wonderful look. I really impressed on how you manage to fill all aircraft to such constrained space.

Thank-you for your kind feedback sir! I have planned (in the near future) additional information (and of course a bunch of photographs) depicting the hangar at San Ysidro, including the rationale for its triangular shape and bi-level roofline. As you probably guessed, this too relates to the space constraints prevailing at this busy little airport. Stay tuned, and I appreciate your viewing and participation!!

Yours truly,
Pete
Old 03-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #54
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Amazing work on this diorama Pete! It's great to see an airport diorama complete with surrounding scenery too - most of us tend to use all of the available space to model the airport, leaving little room for scenery. The lights also really bring your diorama to life! I had lights installed on my previous Dubai diorama, so I know how challenging they can be to work with!

Looking forward to more!

- Cal.

Thank-you for the compliments, Cal. I fondly remember your Dubai diorama, and indeed the fact that it was illuminated further increased its vibrant character!! Regarding the surrounding scenery for the first two airports (San Ysidro and Dromedarius) of this thread's trilogy, for me it has made the photography and storyline aspects extremely fun to do. At some point I will post a few "teaser" photographs of the third island's main airport of St. Francis, which, instead of being a complete island like the first two, instead is intended to be just a part of a big island. By the way, that airport has space for three A380s and a couple of W's all at the same time, one long runway, and a shorter diagonal. It has some scenery, too, for creating interesting takeoff and landing pictures, but at St. Francis there will be much emphasis on the relatively large-sized airport itself.
Keep watching, more to come!
Pete
Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #55
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe143 View Post
Hi, i enjoyed very much these awesome dioramas
Keep doing so, they're amazing.

nice regards!

Thanks so much for posting your compliments. I am glad you are enjoying the dioramas and stay tuned, because I have much more to show!!

Yours truly,

Pete
Old 03-17-2020, 10:25 PM   #56
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by getifero View Post
These are almost unreally playful sceneries in surreal times. Again, thank you very much for taking the time and effort.

It is wonderful to receive your appreciation--thank-you very much! Indeed, in difficult times, having our hobby can be of great comfort. The distraction from day-to-day events makes this entire forum very much a place of happiness and of psychological refuge for all of us! Stay happy, stay on the forum, and watch for more playful scenarios!
Pete
Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #57
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

At least someone is celebrating Saint Patties

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #58
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Thank-you for the compliments, Cal. I fondly remember your Dubai diorama, and indeed the fact that it was illuminated further increased its vibrant character!! Regarding the surrounding scenery for the first two airports (San Ysidro and Dromedarius) of this thread's trilogy, for me it has made the photography and storyline aspects extremely fun to do. At some point I will post a few "teaser" photographs of the third island's main airport of St. Francis, which, instead of being a complete island like the first two, instead is intended to be just a part of a big island. By the way, that airport has space for three A380s and a couple of W's all at the same time, one long runway, and a shorter diagonal. It has some scenery, too, for creating interesting takeoff and landing pictures, but at St. Francis there will be much emphasis on the relatively large-sized airport itself.
Keep watching, more to come!
Pete
Thanks for the kind words Pete - the Dubai diorama I had was great, but unfortunately there were many important models which never got realised in 1:400 scale. Anyway, the scenery around your airports definitely makes for very interesting photography and it really brings the diorama to life. I'll look forward to seeing photos from St. Francis, especially if you're planning to show up to three A380's on the ground at once!

P.S. I really like the various L-1011's that have been making an appearance lately!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #59
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a beautiful scenes Pete, thanks for sharing Alitalia Caravelle and all the wonderful airplanes of the past, but especially great pics.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #60
Senior Captain

Gate C-10, boarding scenario #3:

Besides the two boarding choices discussed in the Aer Lingus A320 section above, the third boarding option for San Ysidro's Gate C-10 is for when two planes need to be accommodated at the same time. Here, we see an American Airlines A321 boarding from position C-10 "R" while an American Eagle is simultaneously being accommodated at C-10 "L" (air stairs are required and entrance to the concourse is via a door directly into the building):

Here we have an overhead view of the above mentioned Gate C-10 parking algorithm, alongside the close-in Gate C-9 occupied by the AA A319:

A final view of AA's C-9 / C-10 parking suite--how sweet it is, seeing all of these American Airlines NC tails!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: