MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 31 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-27-2020, 06:04 AM   #451
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Happy holidays Pete! Your photos capture the great joys surrounding christmas!

Thank-you for following my MAGIC trilogy this year! I am happy that even in these hard times, the Wings900 community has found happiness and joy by following our aviation passions via this hobby. I wish you also a very happy holiday season and a safe and healthy New Year!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2020, 06:14 AM   #452
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Happy holidays, Pete. Stay safe and hope for a better 2021 !
I like your pictures a lot, the variety of your collection is very nice as well.
I really loved the LOT IL62, it is such a rare and nice model, dont you think ?

Take care,
Norbert

Thank-you for the kind sentiments, and for following the MAGIC trilogy in 2020. I wish you also health and happiness this season and in the coming New Year!
P.S.: regarding the LOT IL62, I agree that it is an amazing bird and re-created as a beautiful model. My lucky parents travelled on this bird from Chicago to Poland some 4 decades ago; who knew that we would be marvelling at this machine almost a half century later!
All the best to you,
Pete
Old 12-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #453
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Alitalia MD-11, a great missing in 1:500 collection! In fact Alitalia MD-11 has been produced just by Herpa in OG and an hybrid (not so nice) NG, while i can't imagine the beauty of this model built by StarJets!
Thanks for sharing some "Italianity" in your wonderful airport.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #454
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Alitalia MD-11, a great missing in 1:500 collection! In fact Alitalia MD-11 has been produced just by Herpa in OG and an hybrid (not so nice) NG, while i can't imagine the beauty of this model built by StarJets!
Thanks for sharing some "Italianity" in your wonderful airport.

The inclusion of the Allitalia MD-11 airplane with its accompanying story supported the holiday theme well; after all, everyone wants Italian delicacies at Christmas! I wish you a healthy, blessed and prosperous New Year--hopefully our prayers will be answered and 2021 will be a turning point.
Pete
Old 01-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #455
Senior Captain

NORTHWEST AIRLINES Part I

Northwest Airlines (dba Northwest Orient until 1986) operated daily flights to Dromedarious back in the day, which were subsequently picked up by Delta Air Lines as a part of their merger (which was announced in 2008). Today’s photo shoot is a chronicle which celebrates this airline, which was an ever-present fixture in my life as a little boy growing up in the Midwest U.S.

Early service by Northwest Orient to the island was on a Minneapolis-Idlewild-Dromedarious routing using the venerable Boeing Stratocruiser. One such example is seen here arriving on runway 27, way back in 1953:

Northwest began flying the 707 to DRX in the early 1960’s; the bright red tail was synonymous with the airline. Here is a 320-C seen just after pulling up to the gate; an AA 707 taxis by in the background!

Just a few years later, Northwest Orient began 3x daily services to Dromedarious, albeit with smaller equipment. Shown in this view are flights to MSP, DTW, and MKE, all using 727-100 aircraft (by the way, one of these was my first 1:500 model airplane, which started my interest in collecting!!).

When the DC-10 made its debut with Northwest in 1972, the airline was quick to deploy it on its flagship Minneapolis-Dromedarious flight during the busy winter season. Here is a NW DC-10 negotiating the tricky curved approach to DRX runway 27:

Another view of the DC-10 on approach. THANK-YOU HERPA FOR BRINGING US THIS FANTASTIC MODEL (I have three)!!!

An anomaly was Northwest Airlines' 747-400 in these delivery colors, proudly shown on this MSP-DRX flight. Back in the spring of 1989, there was sufficient demand during the Easter holiday period to fly the big plane to the island; here the flight is seen landing on runway 09, coming in low and slow over the “Terra Cotta Villa” condominium and “Weinerz” hot dog stand. Note to Herpa: Please bring us the NW 747-200B in delivery colors—definitely a classic example of the Queen of the Skies and would be treasured by many collectors!

The “Bowling Shoe” color scheme (a Landor Associate’s design), was introduced in 1989. This DC-10 wears the colors beautifully, shown pushing back from Dromedarious gate D-1-B sometime in the early 1990’s:

A 747-200, also in the ‘Bowling Shoe’ colors, is seen taking to the skies over the lovely West Bay skyline after departing DRX runway 27:

This Northwest 744 negotiates the approach to DRX runway 27, while an American Airlines DC-10 holds short:

Part II of the Northwest Anthology will come shortly; stay tuned and thanks to everyone for patronizing my thread.
Love, happiness, and peace to all in 2021,
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 01-09-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #456
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The Northwest 747 climbing out over the highrise is a stunning picture. I've always thought the Bowling Shoe livery looked great! We used to see many Northwest airplanes here at AMS.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 05:13 AM   #457
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The Northwest 747 climbing out over the highrise is a stunning picture. I've always thought the Bowling Shoe livery looked great! We used to see many Northwest airplanes here at AMS.

I agree, the 'Bowling Shoe' livery looked really smart! My personal favorite, though, is the DC-10 in original Northwest Orient colors, not because it was all that pretty but that it was so symbolic of my late teenage years and working at MKE airport during undergraduate school. The aviation industry has had many beautiful players throughout its history, and as collectors we can preserve some of these treasures.
Pete
Old 01-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #458
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Beautiful Northwest/Northwest Orient parade: a tribute to this airline and its wonderful livery was needed.
Thanks so much Pete.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:07 AM   #459
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Beautiful Northwest/Northwest Orient parade: a tribute to this airline and its wonderful livery was needed.
Thanks so much Pete.

Thank-you for your compliments! Part II of the Northwest Saga will be published soon; there are many fans out there who really loved the airline's final color scheme and I have a bunch of models showcasing it. Stay tuned!
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: