MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 29 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #421
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Great idea posting pics with years 60's and 70's airplanes.
Wonderful my friend.
Thank-you! This ties in with your 'Golden Age' tribute//great to display all of our collections, past and present!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #422
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Exotic Beauties at Dromedarius

The mid-North Atlantic location of Dromedarious Island puts it in proximity to a number of other exotic island locations; air connections have been critical to their development and are indeed the lifeblood of modern business and trading activities. Whilst other installments in this thread have focused on the longer-distance services between DRX and Europe and North America, today’s will instead touch upon some of the air services, past and present, that have linked local destinations.

In the late 1970’s and early 1980’s, Bahamasair flew to Dromedarious International Airport with its trusty BAC1-11 airplanes. This first view showcases the arrival of UP 977 from Nassau:

The Nassau flight arrives at gate E-10 to join its brother, a Bahamasair service departing for Freeport via North Eleuthera:

‘Sir Turtle’ could not help but get in on the action; he is seen gracing the tail of this Cayman Airways 737-400, landing on runway 27:

The refreshed livery of Cayman Airways includes a graphic of the coat of arms from the British Overseas Territory's flag; carrying these beautiful colors is this 737 Max 8, seen here turning onto runway 27 for a west-bound departure:

Whooshing down the runway, back to Grand Cayman she goes!

Air Jamaica maintained a presence at Dromedarious over the years; this view exemplifies the curved approach to DRX Runway 27 as flown by a JM A321:

A few days later, another flight inbound from Kingston via Montego Bay applies full power to execute a go-around during extraordinarily windy conditions:

A lovely departure shot of an Air Jamaica 737-800, heading back to Mo’Bay:

Air Jamaica was folded into Caribbean Airways; this view showcases one of their 737-800 airplanes about to depart Dromedarious on runway 9, bound for Port of Spain via Antigua. The DRX-ANU-POS route has become an important trading link between the islands and is now a daily service:

Although not an ‘island service,’ the Cartagena route via Avianca has been a moneymaker for the carrier over the years. Here is shown an AV 707 waiting for takeoff, behind a Delta L-1011:

The striking red Avianca livery is shown off on this closeup shot of their 707; a feature photo essay devoted to the operations of this historic carrier is forthcoming but for now, I sign off and also wish to thank the loyal followers of my thread!

All the best,
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 11-15-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #423
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Great tribute to Continental Airlines Pete! The livery change from the black, red and gold 'Contrails' or as some call it, the 'Meatball' logo, to the 1991 blue globe was certainly a drastic one! None of the original logo's, fonts, or colour shades were carried over it seems. It's hard to believe the blue globe livery will have been in service for over 30 years next year (albeit with United now). Anyway, the highlights of this update for me are the classic B737, the B757 on finals, the DC-10 (too bad this bird required maintenance this time!), and of course, the B777!

Thanks for continuing to share your updates!

- Cal.
Thank-you for your comments! I never stopped to add it up until you mentioned it, but the Blue Globe has been around for a REALLY LONG TIME now--probably more so than the beloved Tulip! The Globe is beautiful and classy and certainly an emblem worthy of a worldwide airline operation. I appreciate your following my thread and there continues to be more to come!

Pete

Old 11-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #424
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

The Caribbeans...great pics as usual and great story behind the action.
Thanks for sharing my friend.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #425
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Neat stuff as always Pete, having the lights on your diorama turned on make those Carribean visitors stand out even more!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #426
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Neat stuff as always Pete, having the lights on your diorama turned on make those Carribean visitors stand out even more!
Thank-you! I just realized I have a few more tropical birds that were not represented; they will be showcased very shortly!
Pete
Old 11-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #427
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
The Caribbeans...great pics as usual and great story behind the action.
Thanks for sharing my friend.

My aviation "life" started with a trip to Jamaica in 1977, so the region is near and dear to my heart. I've got another tropical segment coming up/ thanks for following and stay tuned!
Pete
Old 11-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #428
Senior Captain

More Lovelies!

The Caribbean basin was for many years, a very underserved region in terms of air transportation. Although services from the U.S. are plentiful nowadays with copious numbers of flights by all of the majors, it was a different story back in the 1960’s-1970’s. Be that as it may, Dromedarious has always maintained a robust flight program to the numerous islands to its south. Exemplary of this situation is the first view, dating from the busy Christmas, 1969 season, where two Transcaribbean DC-8 Stretch airplanes wait for takeoff from DRX runway 27:

BWIA was always well positioned at DRX. Representative of the "jetset" phenomenon of the day, these two 707’s are being prepared for their respective departures (DRX-ANU-POS and DRX-BDA) while a CU IL-18 taxis behind them:

What a difference a couple of years can make to a carrier’s fleet! British West Indian actually expanded its flight offerings to Dromedarious by offering a third daily flight (to POS via St. Lucia, Barbados, and Tobago) after acquiring more efficient DC-9-50 aircraft:

The new BWIA livery retained the steel drum motif of the previous colors, but the beautiful turquoise blue paint job more accurately reflected the region’s amazing seas and skies. Showing off the scheme are these two crowd-pleasing L1011-500 Bee Wee planes:

In an effort to consolidate operations, BWIA reduced its schedule to one flight per day during the slow season of 2003, flown by a big, clunky A340:

Not to be outdone in the chunky department is this Cu IL-96, landing on runway 27:

Yet another beautiful and rare sight was this Air Jamaica A340, seen here soaring on takeoff in May 2005, bound for Montego Bay and onwards to Kingston:

A rare visitor to Dromedaious was this A340 of Conviasa, making numerous charter flights to Isla Margarita back in 2013:

Finally, the parting shot of today’s ‘exotic’ installment is this stunning Air Tahiti Nui A340, arriving at DRX for maintenance:

Thanks everyone for following!
No matter where you are or what you are doing, take a moment to travel vicariously through our wonderful world of models...and have an exotic weekend!!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 11-19-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: