MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 28 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #406
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Pete did you buy the three ANA A380 "Flying Honu"?
You could start flights from your beautiful airport, maybe Tokyo - Honolulu - St. Francis, while the retuna flight could be a direct St. Francis - Tokyo.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #407
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Pete did you buy the three ANA A380 "Flying Honu"?
You could start flights from your beautiful airport, maybe Tokyo - Honolulu - St. Francis, while the retuna flight could be a direct St. Francis - Tokyo.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the beautiful flying turtles. Although the prices seem high on e-bay, I will probably go the alternative route as suggested in the 1:500 thread regarding this subject. I think I will get at least one because the A380 scenario is incomplete without this plane! And by the way, I think the plane could go nonstop using a polar route. What a great ride that would be
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #408
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Down-gauging in Response to Market Fragmentation:

One phenomenon that has been evolving in the airline industry, is the use of ever-smaller airplanes on popular routes. Many services that were previously operated across just one or two trunk carriers with large airliners, become overpopulated with new entrants to the playing field. In such cases, with numerous flights divided between multiple air carriers, the only survivable option for airlines is to ‘down-gauge’ equipment and operate with smaller planes. The "pie" doesn't grow; everybody just gets a smaller piece!

A case in point is Alitalia’s flight to Rome from Dromedarious. Back in the 1970’s-90’s, the route was flown by widebody planes such as this gorgeous DC-10, seen being serviced at Gate D-1-A:

The route had virtually no competition for years! Here the -10 is pictured departing, pushing back from the gate in the early afternoon:

Spectacular lift-off from Runway 27, heading back to Italy!

Enter the new competition: United has joined the DRX-FCO market, competing with a 737-800 and shown here in the brand new UAL colors, inbound from Rome:

In response to this surprise new entrant to the market, Alitalia has deployed the A321 to the route, a substitution from the A330 that had been flying to Dromedarious. In this view, an AZ A321 waits for takeoff clearance:

The ever-dependable A321 revs up the engines and departs DRX for Italy:

Sometimes, routes that were served for years by an airline’s bigger planes have equipment substitutions to smaller planes when faced with declining fortunes. Such was the case when TWA began flying the MD-80 from JFK to DRX (previously operated by a 763), as the airline reached the end of its resources:

In other cases, new routes are added using smaller equipment, to “test” the popularity of a market. An example is Air Canada’s Ottawa-Dromedarious flight, operated by the brand new A220! 3,000-mile routes were almost unthinkable in a plane of this size a decade ago, but new technologies are also a part of the down-gauge phenomenon:

Pandemics, competition, evolving technologies: whatever the case, going forward air travelers will often find themselves on smaller planes than they may have been accustomed to, as airlines work to re-position themselves in an increasingly complicated operating environment. At any rate, enjoy today's segment!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-25-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #409
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Really nice update Pete, United has always been one of my favourite airlines! It's great to see all of these models together in the various iterations of the United livery - I actually find all of the liveries nice in their own way. Do you have any 'new livery' models in your collection yet?

- Cal.
My first one has arrived in time for my birthday, a 1:500 737-800! Enjoy its debut in the "Down-gauge" segment!
Pete
Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #410
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
My first one has arrived in time for my birthday, a 1:500 737-800! Enjoy its debut in the "Down-gauge" segment!
Pete
A very nice model Pete, hopefully this will be the first of many aircraft in the new livery making the trip to Dromedarius! Cool update too and in total contrast to the United 737, I also really like your TWA MD-80 - such a great livery for this frame!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:40 PM   #411
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
A very nice model Pete, hopefully this will be the first of many aircraft in the new livery making the trip to Dromedarius! Cool update too and in total contrast to the United 737, I also really like your TWA MD-80 - such a great livery for this frame!

- Cal.
I really like the new UAL livery--fresh-looking and up-to-date. Can't wait for some more 1:500s in this scheme!
Pete
Old 10-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #412
Senior Captain

United Airline’s operations at Dromedarious International Airport over the years have provided an interesting cross-sectional snapshot of the carrier’s fleet as a whole. Today’s episode continues this thread’s look at UAL’s diverse, colorful ensemble of airplanes.

United found great success with its services into Dromedarious. In the early 70’s, UA was flying up to three daily rotations between DRX and New York! Such is the scenario shown here, with three cute 737-200’s in the ‘Stars & Stripes Friendship’ color scheme going about their duties:

In a financially-driven move to consolidate the three daily flights from New York into one, the United 747 was deployed to DRX beginning with the busy summer, 1972 season. A gorgeous example is seen taking off from Runway 27 in this photograph:

One of the longest-running color schemes to reign at UAL, the “Saul Bass/Rainbow” colors are seen near the end of the livery’s lifespan on a jumbo and the ‘Baby Boeing,’ operating simultaneously at DRX in this 1993 shot:

United flew the 747-SP into DRX during the relatively slow fall season for a few years back in the early 90’s. One such example is shown preparing to take off on Runway 27:

United replaced the larger 747-200 and DC-10 airplanes with daily services using two fuel efficient B-767s as a response to rising fuel costs. Looking bright and shiny in their Saul Bass liveries, two 762’s are seen at the eastern end of the field back in 1991, while a UTA 747-400 takes off for Paris:

The ‘Battleship Gray’ colors reflected a more serious corporate tone at the airline; here is a view of an A319 and an A320 showing off the scheme back in 2004; meanwhile cost-cutter ‘TED’ taxis to the runway for a flight back to ORD:

The big kid on the block, this United 747-400 maintains a striking presence as it negotiates the famous curved approach to DRX Runway 27:

The short-lived ‘Rising Blue’ Tulip colors were worn magnificently on this 744, as seen turning off the runway during the busy Christmas season in 2005:

Finally, today’s closing shot is of United’s last 747-400 flight to the island, seen arriving from Newark after landing on runway 27. Gone but not forgotten, she will be missed!

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-31-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #413
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Gret to see so many United 747s over the years Pete. My favourite shot has to be the rotating 747 Friend Ship.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #414
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Gret to see so many United 747s over the years Pete. My favourite shot has to be the rotating 747 Friend Ship.

Indeed, you can almost feel the wind rush by when looking at the Friendship becoming 'unstuck.' Thanks for following along--another installment (with a different airline) is coming soon!
Pete
Old 11-03-2020, 03:26 AM   #415
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Beautiful update.
United Airlines B747-400 Tulip livery Is a Beast of Beauty!

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #416
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Indeed, you can almost feel the wind rush by when looking at the Friendship becoming 'unstuck.' Thanks for following along--another installment (with a different airline) is coming soon!
Pete
One more comment about the 'Friendship:' I do love the sense of motion and sense of history/nostalgia conveyed by that photograph. By the way, my earliest memories in life were going to the airport in Milwaukee to drop off/pick up my dad for his business trips, which sometimes included UA airplanes in this livery (of course at MKE, usually 727-100's/not this big equipment!!!). Back then, the whole family could walk right down to the tarmac for a send-off//truly a glorious era.
Pete
Old 11-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #417
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Beautiful update.
United Airlines B747-400 Tulip livery Is a Beast of Beauty!

I totally agree!! For me, the 'Tulip' symbolizes UAL more than any other image created for the airline. While I think the globe is very classy and professional-looking, the truth is that it is Continental's symbol, not United's!
Pete
Old 11-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #418
Senior Captain

Continental Airlines, more than a United Predecessor. . . .

For years prior to its merger with United Airlines, Continental Airlines maintained a presence at Dromedarious international Airport. Today’s installment covers the history of the most salient Continental equipment types and liveries at DRX through the years.

Continental flew the Boeing 707 to the island from Houston-Hobby during the 1960’s. Here is an example wearing the carrier’s “Golden Jet” colors in early 1964, preparing for a night time departure from Runway 9:

This snapshot of a CO Vickers Viscount was captured at Dromedarious in the early 1960’s, on a ferry flight back to England for routine maintenance:

The beloved “Meatball” scheme (officially named the “Contrail” by its creator, none other than graphic designer Saul Bass) came in two “flavors.” The earlier of the two (1968-1984), the Black Contrail colors, is worn on this DC-10 on departure, flying over the supermarket parking lot just west of Runway 27:

The later “Red Contrail” colors are shown off on this 737-100, waiting for departure back to Newark sometime in late 1984:

This Red Meatball A-300 will be heading back to Houston Intercontinental, once cleared for departure, after the arriving AA MD-11 leaves the runway:

A Continental 757-200, resplendent in the fresh “Globe” livery and inbound from IAH, turns on final approach to DRX for a landing on Runway 27:

A pair of CO 757-200s are joined by a Continental 727-200 on this ramp shot at Dromedarious back in the summer of 1993:

A gaggle of Continental 737s and MD-80s are seen clustered on the west end of DRX:

A sexy Continental Airlines DC-10 is brought to the hangar at DRX for some unscheduled maintenance:

Finally, while the CO DC-10 is repaired, a Continental 777-200 has been brought in from Houston-Intercontinental, to substitute for the out-of-service aircraft:

Last edited by uncle beat; 11-07-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #419
The Dark Side

Great idea posting pics with years 60's and 70's airplanes.
Wonderful my friend.

Charter airlines lover

Old 11-08-2020, 04:35 PM   #420
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Great tribute to Continental Airlines Pete! The livery change from the black, red and gold 'Contrails' or as some call it, the 'Meatball' logo, to the 1991 blue globe was certainly a drastic one! None of the original logo's, fonts, or colour shades were carried over it seems. It's hard to believe the blue globe livery will have been in service for over 30 years next year (albeit with United now). Anyway, the highlights of this update for me are the classic B737, the B757 on finals, the DC-10 (too bad this bird required maintenance this time!), and of course, the B777!

Thanks for continuing to share your updates!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: