MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 27 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-06-2020, 05:09 AM   #391
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Yet another wonderful update. I imagine the A380 will be a very rare aircraft in the next months, especially because Covid-19 seems to have a second, strong life and many more airlines will phase out their giants and/or, sadly, will fail.
Bravo Pete.
Thank-you for your continued patronage! I agree with you, that unfortunately around the world the sightings of the magnificent A380 will continue to diminish. I hope that these planes are just put into storage, so that when conditions improve, they can return to use after hibernation. At this time, there is one glimmer of hope: the upcoming A380 exhibition at Dromedarious! Stay tuned to this venue to see a display of these big birds, coming soon to DRX!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #392
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

The long-awaited Dromedarious International A380 Fair was held earlier this week, a celebration of all things related to the Superjumbo. Much to the delight of the crowds gathered for this event, the exhibition kicked off with a fly-by of a Singapore Airlines A380, making a low pass over the field. SQ was the first carrier to take delivery of this aircraft type, some thirteen years ago in October, 2007:

A most impressive view of the participants at this year’s A380 Fair!
This perspective of the lineup of sexy birds, stretching for nearly one mile, is a view looking to the east:

An unexpected sight, was this surprise visit by one of the A380 test beds!

The most prolific operator of the A380, Emirates brought this superb example up from Dubai; it is seen here giving a wonderful photo op for VIP spectators gathered at the end of the runway:

The “Big Three” carriers were fully represented at this year’s A380 Fair; here a Qatar Airways superjumbo prepares to take off, a close-up thrill for the onlookers:

Etihad graciously provided on-board tours of the A380 that they brought to the event, seen here at DRX Gate D-1-B:

Sometimes you just can't get enough! Here is a view of the lineup from east to west as seen from a drone:

While not necessarily the most flattering angle (for the plane and many people as well!), this picture shows an Air France A380 as viewed from its hind quarters:

The gorgeous AF A380 exits runway 27:

Another beauty is this Thai Airways aircraft, looking absolutely royal on touchdown at DRX in its orchid purple livery!

This Lufthansa A380 wowed the crowd with some aerial maneuvers, seen here doing a touch-and-go on runway 9:

“What might have been:” a comparative display of two Qatari A380s seen nose-to-nose, one in the original pre-delivery paint scheme, and the other proudly wearing the official colors. Which do you prefer?

In a display of typical Dromedarian indulgence, one of the A380 airplanes in long-term storage was painted in fantasy Braniff International colors!

As the show draws to a close, an A380 resplendent in British Airways’ colors is seen trundling past the airport’s catering facilities:

Concluding the show, is the early evening departure of this lovely Qantas superjumbo in new colors. This amazing airplane never fails to inspire and excite, seen here as it makes a low pass over West Bay just after taking off from DRX runway 27!

Final pass of the QF A380, during the concluding ceremonies of the show. Bon voyage, and wishing for a return of these rare and beautiful birds to the airways as scheduled flights!!

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-09-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #393
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Great to see so many A380's from a nice variety of operators making a visit to your airport Pete! I expect having this many super-jumbo's on the ground at once caused a few problems in the Dromedarius control tower! Anyway, some great photo's as always - the Singapore Airlines A380 will always be an iconic type-livery combination for me, so it was great to see this bird getting the honor of performing the opening flypast!

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #394
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

A380 extravaganza Pete! Great to see all these colorful A380s all present. I'm yet to fly on one and seeing that Air France A380 only reminds me about it..

Had the opportunity in January this year when KLM canceled my flight out of LAX. But chose to stay an extra day and fly home on the 747

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #395
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Wonderful line-up of giants, great display of the A380's.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:47 PM   #396
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Great to see so many A380's from a nice variety of operators making a visit to your airport Pete! I expect having this many super-jumbo's on the ground at once caused a few problems in the Dromedarius control tower! Anyway, some great photo's as always - the Singapore Airlines A380 will always be an iconic type-livery combination for me, so it was great to see this bird getting the honor of performing the opening flypast!

- Cal.
I totally agree with your statement--and very fitting that the launch operator, launches the show! And yes, not only was the tower a bit overwhelmed, owing to the limited parking space and the sheer size of the A380 itself, things on the ground were chaotic!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-16-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #397
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
A380 extravaganza Pete! Great to see all these colorful A380s all present. I'm yet to fly on one and seeing that Air France A380 only reminds me about it..

Had the opportunity in January this year when KLM canceled my flight out of LAX. But chose to stay an extra day and fly home on the 747

As much as I love the A380, you chose wisely to do one more trip on the 747! There will be a few more opportunities to fly on the A380 (don't miss the chance, especially in the upper deck!)--unfortunately that bird is going to fly into the sunset prematurely!
Pete
Old 10-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #398
ATP Captain

Quote:
Wonderful line-up of giants, great display of the A380's.

Thank-you for the appreciation! I realize however, that I need to find a Korean A380--might be a tough job to get one, though!!
Pete
Old 10-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #399
ATP Captain

United Airlines at Dromedarious

United Airlines has a long history of flying into Dromedarious International Airport. Today’s entries take a look at just a tiny slice of UAL’s flight operations at DRX.

The opening view shows a United DC-10 in the ‘Stars & Stripes/Friendship” delivery colors coming in from Chicago-O’Hare, flying the famous curved final approach to Dromedarious’ runway 27:

A busy evening for United back in early 1972, with several UA DC-8-61s (flying from Chicago, Denver, and New York), and a B-737 (just arrived from Baltimore) on the ground:

A magnificent shot of a United DC-10 on final approach to DRX Runway 9:

Several United birds are seen in early 1975, showing off their new Saul Bass colors. The two “-Tens” are operating flights to Chicago and Denver, whilst the baby Boeing is a New York flight.

Climbing out on take-off from Runway 9, this United DC-10 is bound for Los Angeles via Denver:

The ostensibly more ‘business-like’ “Battleship Gray” colors are seen on these United Airlines planes in this 1995 photo. The DC-10 has just arrived from Denver, the two Airbus planes are New York ops, and the lone 757 is getting ready to depart for Chicago:

The ‘Battleship’ -10 takes off on its return to Denver:

This view of a United 744 in ’Rising Blue’ Tulip colors was taken shortly after the colors were introduced, during Easter vacations, 2004:

The “Continental Globe” color scheme was the love child of CO/UA liveries, seen here on an A319 (foreground) and B-757 (background)

Today’s parting view shows three B-787 sisters, a complete family photo consisting of an -8, -9, and -10. Bon Voyage and happy trails to all!!

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-16-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #400
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a beautiful United fleet my friend, both "Saul Bass" and "Battleship" are wonderful. I prefer "Battleship" one, especially on the DC-10, but your 4th pic makes a great tribute to "Saul Bass" because it is really beautiful.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #401
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Really nice update Pete, United has always been one of my favourite airlines! It's great to see all of these models together in the various iterations of the United livery - I actually find all of the liveries nice in their own way. Do you have any 'new livery' models in your collection yet?

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #402
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Lovely generations of United birds Mike, they look excellent!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #403
ATP Captain

Quote:
What a beautiful United fleet my friend, both "Saul Bass" and "Battleship" are wonderful. I prefer "Battleship" one, especially on the DC-10, but your 4th pic makes a great tribute to "Saul Bass" because it is really beautiful.

Each iteration of United's colors is so unique--really no subtle evolution going on with them. In my case, I like the 'Saul Bass' motif the best--a recollection of my early years, when I just started flying and beginning my love of aviation. The "tulip" is so iconic, one of those marketing works of pure genius. Stay tuned for part II of the UAL series!
Pete
Old 10-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #404
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Really nice update Pete, United has always been one of my favourite airlines! It's great to see all of these models together in the various iterations of the United livery - I actually find all of the liveries nice in their own way. Do you have any 'new livery' models in your collection yet?

- Cal.

Thank-you for the compliments on the United anthology, Indeed, my first "new livery" 1:500 UAL model should be arriving soon--this is my birthday week and it will feature prominently in the United--Part II episode coming up.
Pete
Old 10-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #405
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Lovely generations of United birds Mike, they look excellent!

Thank-you very much! I will be doing a UAL--Part II episode shortly--there is still much United territory to cover. I am thinking to include a segue between United and Continental as part of this, given the merger situation some 10 years ago in October, 2010 (which, given all that has transpired in the last decade, now seems like 100 years ago//ancient history!!).
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: