MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 25 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #361
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

The Scandinavians have a long-running history of overseas travel; indeed they were the first Europeans to have visited the shores of America. This thread focuses on some of their more recent forays across the Atlantic Ocean, specifically to the island of Dromedarius.

In the first view is shown an SAS Caravelle, having just taken off from DRX runway 27 and soaring high above West Bay. The first few years of SAS service to Dromedarius used this elegant-looking plane to help establish a presence on the island.

As the popularity of travel to Dromedarius amongst the Scandinavians grew, substitution of bigger equipment became a means to satisfy demand. Here, an SAS 747 soars high above the hotels and condominiums of West Bay, having just taken off from DRX runway 27:

Coming at you, a full frontal view of the Queen of the Skies in SAS colors!

The use of the smaller DC-10 on the Copenhagen-Dromedarius route was a logical move by SAS during the travel slump of the mid-1970’s recession:

With the advent of wide-body twinjets, SAS was quick to deploy the Boeing 767-300 on the Stockholm-Dromedarius run. Here, the type is seen being towed to gate E-9 in preparation for its return flight later in the day to Sweden:

Ready to go, the 763 waits patiently for its turn to take off from runway 9, next in line after the departing Aerolineas 747:

As smaller planes became more capable on longer oceanic routes, SAS decided to offer multiple daily frequencies to further its market share. In this photograph, two of their jets are seen in departure mode from runway 9:

During the ‘Dog Days’ of summer, SAS appropriately flew the Mad Dog from Gothenburg to Dromedarious, part of their ‘increased frequency' strategy:

Setting the new standard for European traffic to/from the island is the SAS A321. One is seen here, completing its landing roll on an inbound flight from Oslo whilst in the background the albino elephant affectionately known as ‘Pinky’ raises her trunk to salute the plane’s arrival:

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-29-2020 at 05:08 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2020, 04:43 AM   #362
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Really amazing scenes Pete, compliments and thanks for making us happy with your updates.

Thank-you for your appreciation and comments! Airports seem to have a life of their own, and this project, with all its scenery and the associated drama (including that of its animal residents), is no exception! Obviously there is much more to come!
Pete
Old 08-29-2020, 04:48 AM   #363
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Your detailed scenery is what really makes this diorama so special Pete! It's clear to see how much attention to detail and time has gone into carefully placing and tweaking the individual elements, but the results are definitely worth it. The various rock formations, roads, tunnels and vegetation at the end of the runway all look excellent.

- Cal.

These are really nice comments and such appreciation is a motivator for me to carry on with this creation. I can't wait to reveal the terminal and concourses D and E; they are now 50% complete but not quite ready for their photography sessions. Stay tuned!
Pete

Old 08-29-2020, 05:08 AM   #364
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a pity some important models like SAS B767-300 are old generation, so important but so ugly.
I would like to see more DC-10's and L-1011's my friend, two important and beautiful airplanes of the past.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #365
ATP Captain

Quote:
What a pity some important models like SAS B767-300 are old generation, so important but so ugly.
I would like to see more DC-10's and L-1011's my friend, two important and beautiful airplanes of the past.

I agree with you 100%--it would be wonderful for the re-release of OG models as NG, since the landing gears are so much nicer to look at in the new versions as compared to the ugly (but sturdy) toy wheels on the original releases. That said, since there aren't really enough resources to do this, we will have to continue on with our trust in our only supplier Herpa//hopefully they will continue to judiciously introduce a few historical models with each batch of releases. Many 1:500 collectors (myself included) do appreciate having a collection that blends the latest airlines/airplanes with some beauties from the past (and thank-you Herpa for continuing to indulge us in this way).
Pete
Old 09-03-2020, 05:58 AM   #366
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

All the Scandinavian sunbirds look stunning on your diorama Pete, but I'm particularly fond of the MD-80 series. SAS was the last 'big' operator of the type in Europe and I have very fond memories of seeing their MD Vikings at my home airport of Amsterdam

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #367
Creative Model Animator

Supermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributor

The background buildings and trees integrate so well with this airport. Love the wildlife nearby also. Hopefully no strays on the runway!! Will go through some of the previous pages of this one. The 'flight' shots are adventurous too. Always great to push the boundaries. A pleasure to view.

Visit our new Website: https://www.supermodelnation.com/
Supermodelnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #368
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
All the Scandinavian sunbirds look stunning on your diorama Pete, but I'm particularly fond of the MD-80 series. SAS was the last 'big' operator of the type in Europe and I have very fond memories of seeing their MD Vikings at my home airport of Amsterdam

I totally agree! SAS has been such an iconic brand, and the MD-80 airplanes look really great in their livery. Only had a chance to do one trip (so far) with them but it was memorable.
Thanks for following along and I have some updates coming up shortly!
Pete
Old 09-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #369
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodelnation View Post
The background buildings and trees integrate so well with this airport. Love the wildlife nearby also. Hopefully no strays on the runway!! Will go through some of the previous pages of this one. The 'flight' shots are adventurous too. Always great to push the boundaries. A pleasure to view.

Re: wildlife strays, these have occurred both on Dromedarious and San Ysidro! On the neighboring sister island of 'San Ysidro,' several elephants did manage to breach the airport walls and scramble onto the runway (see thread #108) to check out the giant peanut mock-up being brought in as cargo. The other most notable animal stray incident took place more recently, when a hippopotamus got out of the animal sanctuary (post #354). At any rate, it is extremely inspiring to me, to have someone of your stature and diorama expertise to compliment my work--thank-you again and enjoy a look through the series!
Pete
Old 09-10-2020, 08:12 PM   #370
Creative Model Animator

Supermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributorSupermodelnation is a good contributor

I honestly don't know how I missed this entire thread. Rest assured, I went back to page 1 and took the time to feast my eyes on the whole lot. Quite remarkable. You truly have a gift. Your presentational style is unique and you have clearly embraced the sense of "fun" with this hobby. Sometimes its gets all too serious. Just letting your imagination run wild whilst you showcase your collection (which is really what we are all doing here) and daring the rest of us to be different is refreshing and you capture this fully. Maintain your style and don't let anyone dissuade you or tell you otherwise. The elephant face off with the KLM flight was hilarious. I liked the different food themes- peanut, jelly beans and I'm certain I saw a chocolate egg in there somewhere!! Great stuff. As for Bluey, he looked amazing and very tasty. But most of all, your Concorde Fest (parts 1 & 2) was outstanding. A great storyline to accompany a great collection. Brilliant Having said all that, the best post for me was #229 and those Night Moves after hours urban landscape shots. Those pics were the icing! Keep going strong pal.

Visit our new Website: https://www.supermodelnation.com/
Supermodelnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #371
ATP Captain

Through the Years: Virgin Atlantic at Dromedarious

Virgin Atlantic has provided its unique and impeccable service for several decades between the U.K. and Dromedarious. Today’s installment looks at some of the remarkable aircraft that have provided these wonderful air connections.

In this first view from the 1990’s, the Queen of the Skies in its -200 series iteration is seen being pushed back from gate E-9. The late afternoon is ‘prime time’ at Dromedarious for departures to both Europe and North America, and the congestion is palpable:

A few minutes later, the grande dame climbs sharply after taking off from runway 27, returning to London-Gatwick:

Coming in “low and slow” over the hotel rooftops and shimmering swimming pools of the prestigious West Bay neighborhood of Dromedarious, the appearance of Virgin Atlantic’s 747-400 never fails to disappoint!

Just a few hours later, the jumbo has completed its turnaround and taxis to Runway 9 for an early evening takeoff on the return voyage to London’s Heathrow airport:

A tight squeeze into gate E-9 at Dromedarious, this A340-600 rests after the trans-Atlantic voyage from Manchester:

The modern face of Virgin: a 787-9 Dreamliner completes its landing roll upon arrival after a flight from LHR:

Reflecting the fleet renewal in progress at Virgin Atlantic, the 789 has been serviced and is ready to return to the U.K. as it awaits departure clearance for takeoff from runway 9:

Last edited by uncle beat; 09-11-2020 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #372
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

That last shot Pete, with the Virgin 787 visible between the highrise gives me a Miami vibe. Considering you're from Florida, I might not be too far off

Great hommage to Virgin Atlantic! Since they've been at Dromedarius since the 90s, they truly do have more experience than their name suggests!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #373
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodelnation View Post
I honestly don't know how I missed this entire thread. Rest assured, I went back to page 1 and took the time to feast my eyes on the whole lot. Quite remarkable. You truly have a gift. Your presentational style is unique and you have clearly embraced the sense of "fun" with this hobby. Sometimes its gets all too serious. Just letting your imagination run wild whilst you showcase your collection (which is really what we are all doing here) and daring the rest of us to be different is refreshing and you capture this fully. Maintain your style and don't let anyone dissuade you or tell you otherwise. The elephant face off with the KLM flight was hilarious. I liked the different food themes- peanut, jelly beans and I'm certain I saw a chocolate egg in there somewhere!! Great stuff. As for Bluey, he looked amazing and very tasty. But most of all, your Concorde Fest (parts 1 & 2) was outstanding. A great storyline to accompany a great collection. Brilliant Having said all that, the best post for me was #229 and those Night Moves after hours urban landscape shots. Those pics were the icing! Keep going strong pal.

I could not be more touched than by these kind and encouraging words! Thank-you very much for taking the time to review the entire thread and then making such astute and motivational observations. Much of our own personalities are inextricably woven into the projects that we make and display here, and indeed this one represents a cross-section of my own experiences and is a reflection on where I have been and what I have done. I want to say that your participation at Wings900 has made a significant and positive impact on all of us; even after new posts about Evie stop, I hope we continue to have your participation here because your imagination and creative spirit have been loved and appreciated by all!
Pete
Old 09-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #374
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

You too bought the amazing Sky500 Virgin Atlantic B787-9, one of the most beautiful models ever along with Etihad B787-9 and few more.
Thanks for continuing to amaze us with your immense masterpiece, son (or daughter) of a great Master among collectors and handmade airports builders, full of passion, love and skills.
Thanks Pete.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #375
ATP Captain

Quote:
You too bought the amazing Sky500 Virgin Atlantic B787-9, one of the most beautiful models ever along with Etihad B787-9 and few more.
Thanks for continuing to amaze us with your immense masterpiece, son (or daughter) of a great Master among collectors and handmade airports builders, full of passion, love and skills.
Thanks Pete.

I totally agree-the Virgin 789 by Sky500 is a true beauty--really delightful to behold. And, thank you for your compliments on the Dromedarious project--if this diorama was a child, I would assign the gender as female due to its sexy nighttime buildings and the curvaceous approach to runway 27; meanwhile my other airport on the island of San Ysidro (of course) would be a boy!!
I am so happy for your comments, and that you have been a faithful follower. More adventure lies ahead.

Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: