MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 24 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #346
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Those Hawaiian planes must really feel like they're at home, as Cal pointed out previously. I love the last shot of the Hawaiian T-tail flying over the cascade.

From time to time, I like to photograph the airplanes in some unexpected vantage points (i.e. not directly runway- or ramp- related), such as in this case. I think this makes for a more interesting photo montage, and plus it gives the chance to show off other sides of the diorama which some viewers have a curiosity about! Thanks for being a loyal follower, more to come.

Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2020, 05:56 AM   #347
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
These classic Qantas and Hawaiian birds really look at home amongst the scenery of Dromedarius Pete! Great work as always and nice photography too. What's coming next for Dromedarius?

- Cal.
Thank-you for the photography compliment! Lately I have been tinkering with the focal length of some of the pictures; with the subject in crisp focus, other objects both near and far take on a softer form and this gives added depth to the picture.
Re: "What's next?" for Dromedarius: finalizing the concourses, building a new terminal, and the cargo center. Also, I am considering connecting the two remote gates D-1 and D-2 with a train system instead of the shuttle buses; I will have to see if such an arrangement looks good, or adds too much visual clutter. As always, so much trial and error with diorama building--there is no set rule book and in a way, that is half the fun with fantasy layouts!
Pete
Old 08-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #348
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Thank-you for the photography compliment! Lately I have been tinkering with the focal length of some of the pictures; with the subject in crisp focus, other objects both near and far take on a softer form and this gives added depth to the picture.
Re: "What's next?" for Dromedarius: finalizing the concourses, building a new terminal, and the cargo center. Also, I am considering connecting the two remote gates D-1 and D-2 with a train system instead of the shuttle buses; I will have to see if such an arrangement looks good, or adds too much visual clutter. As always, so much trial and error with diorama building--there is no set rule book and in a way, that is half the fun with fantasy layouts!
Pete
You're welcome Pete, it's always a pleasure to check-in on this thread! It sounds like there's still lots more to come for Dromedarius - I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing the new buildings take shape around the airport. The train system is an interesting idea - I'm sure you'll surprise us with many more creative solutions as you have done throughout this thread!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #349
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Pete, nice update again. Thumbs up.

Not sure whether you said it already or not...what / how did you do the buildings ? What are they made off and how ?
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #350
ATP Captain

Regarding the custom fabrication of 1:500 scale buildings, most commonly seen on the Wings900 forum are buildings made of either solid block construction that are decorated with paint or printed paper ornamentation, OR constructions that are entirely cardboard or paper material. However, my technique is quite different and I will describe in this thread the methods and components that I use for my projects.
To begin with, almost all the structures that I place on my dioramas are illuminated. As such, these edifices must be made hollow, and contain openings (for the transmission of light) that are covered with either translucent or transparent ‘windows,’ or apertures that are left completely agape (such as for open doorways, breezeways, or other passageways). So to begin, here is a view from the underside of a typical hollow building structure (note the translucent—not transparent—inner wall covering which disperses light from the bulb source to an even, uniform glow akin to a lampshade):

Creating a building that lights up is substantially more complicated, more time-consuming, takes much thought and planning, and yields a structure that is more fragile than its solid counterparts. HOWEVER, the enchanting result achieved by doing so makes the additional effort totally worth the trouble:

The ‘curtain-wall’ approach that I use for constructing these little 1:500 buildings is parallel to its real-world counterpart as seen in most tall structures. To wit, an inner ‘skeleton’ is made that creates the outline/form of the building. Walls are glued upon this framework and are non-load bearing. The endoskeletons I make are usually from Lego bricks because of their uniform dimensions, and the ability to quickly make changes to the structure in the planning stage prior to finalizing the size and shape. I have also used balsa wood for some (especially earlier buildings) and a few others are clear plastic boxes with ornamentation applied. The Lego substructures ensure perfectly square corners, and the sizing of the ‘tiles’ (the thin ones) is equivalent to 5 feet in height in the 1:500 scale—so, two Lego tiles stacked atop each other are ten feet high, which is approximately one story. Very easy to get the right scale and height of your structures! Here is a close-up of stacked floors in a 12–story apartment structure. As previously mentioned, the Lego columns are 2 tiles for each level of the building. The flooring, roof, and some sidewall coverings are styrene sheet material from Plastruct (https://www.plastruct.com/ ):

Generous ornamentation is applied to the skeleton—judiciously so as to conceal the humble Lego understructure. Landscaping is placed around the building once complete. It is the final step and softens the building’s appearance, and can sometimes be used to conceal minor flaws in the construction. If your project involves multiple buildings, consider using current urban design principles to add to visual appeal, such as staggered (non-linear) arrangements for an enhanced view shed, modest setbacks from the street, and building access components (porte cochere for ingress/egress to the structure, service access at the side or rear, etc.). Also, don’t forget to make the rooftops interesting—with dioramas, much of our viewing is done from above!

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-19-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #351
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Pete, nice update again. Thumbs up.

Not sure whether you said it already or not...what / how did you do the buildings ? What are they made off and how ?

Thank-you for the compliments/appreciation! Above please find a brief tutorial describing my approach to building my diorama structures. There is plenty more to come, so stay tuned!
Pete
Old 08-20-2020, 05:18 AM   #352
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Compliments Pete, anothere piece of genius and almost perfect manual skill.
Me too was considering the buildings on ebay, but they are all the same and i would need too many of them to re-create what i have in my mind, a city-centre airport likle those in Latin America.
I was considering to make them with the usual wood and manybe i will try it.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #353
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Compliments Pete, anothere piece of genius and almost perfect manual skill.
Me too was considering the buildings on ebay, but they are all the same and i would need too many of them to re-create what i have in my mind, a city-centre airport likle those in Latin America.
I was considering to make them with the usual wood and manybe i will try it.

I have seen these buildings on E-bay as well, and considered getting a few of them just for having something different from my own construction, but like you said, they were too uniform in appearance. Nonetheless, I encourage you to make a "close-in" airport; I am sure you would create another masterpiece and having the skyscrapers in the background would be awesome to look at!
Pete
Old 08-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #354
ATP Captain

Saga of Two Super-Jumbos

Earlier this summer, Qantas operated a few bi-directional repatriation flights for Australian nationals between Sydney and Dromedarius. In the first view, the iconic A380 ‘King of the Skies’ prepares to land on DRX’s runway 27 along the famous curved approach path whilst a crowd of excited aviation enthusiasts gathers to watch the event:

It is apparent in the next photograph, however, that there is a second ‘super-jumbo’ subject in the scene: a large Hippopotamus appears to be planning her escape from the animal sanctuary due to the gate being left ajar!

With all eyes on the plane, the big bird captures the attention of the audience as it prepares to touch down, while the big beast quickly slips away unnoticed!

The culprit hippo turned out to be none other than ‘Big Ruby,’ one of the sanctuary’s most beloved creatures and well-known for her curiosity and cheekiness. Easily camouflaged by her wrinkly beige skin, in this view she tip-toes past the Portugese-era medieval walled city under the cover of darkness. . . .

. . . . but was discovered the next day frolicking in the lagoon in front of Gilligan’s Falls! She was safely returned to her home at the sanctuary, no harm done!!

In an unrelated aviation turn of events, Qantas sent one more flight later in the week in the form of a 787-9. Here the QF Dreamliner departs from runway 9 while a blue sedan and lone gray Ute look on, as the plane turns south on its flight back to Oz.

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-23-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:41 AM   #355
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Another fun and interesting update Pete! I think the pilot of the Qantas A380 must be very skilled to fly this curved approach in such a large aircraft..! I also really like the scenery at the end of Runway 27 - great work.

- Cal.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #356
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Fun update to read Pete, all the little easter eggs combined with the storytelling regarding the planes makes for a fascinating to read update!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #357
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Another fun and interesting update Pete! I think the pilot of the Qantas A380 must be very skilled to fly this curved approach in such a large aircraft..! I also really like the scenery at the end of Runway 27 - great work.

- Cal.

Those QF pilots are the best! Low and slow, very tricky!! Mostly I want to say, thank-you very much for the appreciation re: the scenery at runway's end. I kept tweaking the rock colors, ground cover, plants and trees, etc. until I was finally satisfied. I had budgeted just a day for doing the scenery, and it took me two weeks! This always seems to be the case with my dioramas, but since I enjoy the process, not a big deal!
Pete
Old 08-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #358
Triple-7 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Those QF pilots are the best! Low and slow, very tricky!! Mostly I want to say, thank-you very much for the appreciation re: the scenery at runway's end. I kept tweaking the rock colors, ground cover, plants and trees, etc. until I was finally satisfied. I had budgeted just a day for doing the scenery, and it took me two weeks! This always seems to be the case with my dioramas, but since I enjoy the process, not a big deal!
Pete
Your detailed scenery is what really makes this diorama so special Pete! It's clear to see how much attention to detail and time has gone into carefully placing and tweaking the individual elements, but the results are definitely worth it. The various rock formations, roads, tunnels and vegetation at the end of the runway all look excellent.

- Cal.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #359
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Fun update to read Pete, all the little easter eggs combined with the storytelling regarding the planes makes for a fascinating to read update!

I try to inject a little bit of my personality into the storyline where possible--a bit of humor and some unexpected twists and turns make for easy reading! By the way, the 'Easter egg' coloration of the vehicles, which I admit is somewhat unrealistic, makes the cars stand out against the background for the purposes of photography. Also, with Dromedarius being an island unto itself, the colorful cars reflect the easygoing and fun nature of its residents! I appreciate your following along and positive comments--cheers and thanks again!
Pete
Old 08-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #360
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Really amazing scenes Pete, compliments and thanks for making us happy with your updates.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: