MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 23 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #331
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

The 2nd shot is especially nice Pete, as the highlights of the Dromedarius scenery are also visible in the foreground!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2020, 04:52 AM   #332
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The 2nd shot is especially nice Pete, as the highlights of the Dromedarius scenery are also visible in the foreground!

Thank-you for the compliment! Part of what is going on, is the fabrication of all of the surrounding scenery which does support the appearance of the diorama as a whole and makes for more interesting photography, especially of arriving and departing aircraft. Indeed, there will even be some upcoming pictures that allow a view of the back side of the mountain, where a completely different (non-desert) vibe has been created. Stay tuned/
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:58 AM   #333
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Beautiful scenery with the jetBlue A321 my friend.

Thank-you for the compliment! I also like that picture, since it includes some shadowing underneath the plane as it overflies the runway. Regarding the scenery, I have since completed that section of the model, with the addition of a variety of trees that are typical of what is found in savannah / bush environments. This should make for more photo opportunities!
Pete

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #334
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Really nice Airbus arrivals Pete! I have both the American A321NEO and jetBlue A321NEO in my 1:400 collection and they're both very nice models. The livery of American Airlines looks great amongst the scenery (and wildlife!), of Dromedarius! Your Lufthansa A350 is also very sleek - I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine in 1:400!

- Cal.

Thank-you for the compliments! I love these latest versions of Airbus planes too, not only in model form but for traveling in 1:1 'real life', as well. I was surprised at how well-suited the American Airlines colors were to the desert scenery--I guess it pays homage to their Phoenix hub! Follow along in the thread, as soon I will be shifting my attention and subsequent works to the airport buildings and adjacent scenery further west.
Pete
Old 08-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #335
ATP Captain

You never forget the first time!! In this case, it was the spectacle of Qantas’ first 747 flight to the island of Dromedarius. This was an exciting moment, especially because the jumbo was still quite a novelty at most airports worldwide in the early 1970’s.

In the first view, the Queen of the Skies finishes her landing roll after arriving on runway 9 at Dromedarius International Airport. The savannah landscape surrounding the east end of the airport lends an Australian vibe to the setting, quite fitting for the subject airplane!

Vehicular traffic on the D-1 Motorway comes to a complete standstill--in both directions--to view the magnificent jumbo pulling into the gate. What a joyful event to witness the first QF 747 to visit the airport!

Passengers disembark at the remote gate and board a waiting bus, to be shuttled to the main terminal’s arrival hall:

Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #336
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I'm sure the Aussie pax would be confused upon landing at Dromedarius, it almost appears they're still in Australia!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 08-08-2020, 02:28 PM   #337
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I'm sure the Aussie pax would be confused upon landing at Dromedarius, it almost appears they're still in Australia!

I know--everything including shrimp on the barbie!
Pete
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 AM   #338
ATP Captain

One of the members of the elite group of 747 SP operators, Qantas made good use of the smaller plane where the deployment of a standard-sized 747 was uneconomical. The fortnightly flight into Dromedarius was a good example of such a service, whereby passengers could enjoy all of the great features and comfortable amenities of the jumbo, while the company would still fly the route at a profit.

In this first view, a Qantas 747 SP pushes back from Gate D-1 and will continue on, flying the next leg of the QF ‘Round-The-World’ service:

While the 747 SP may have replaced the 707 on Qantas’ Dromedarius route, the venerable Boeing was still seen on occasion at DRX for servicing—one is pulling into the hangar in this view:

Maintenance complete, the QF 707 waits its turn for an early evening departure, while a Pan Am 707 begins its take-off roll down runway 27:

Looking resplendent in the updated livery, a Qantas 747 SP turns off runway 27 after landing at Dromedarius, and heads towards the gate:

The head-on perspective was always one of the most impressive photography angles of the jumbo. Here a QF 747 SP pulls straight in to Gate E-8, truly a sight to behold, especially for the passengers coming down the escalator!

Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #339
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Great traffic on the road.
Yet another beautiful update with classic widebodies.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #340
Senior Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I know--everything including shrimp on the barbie!
Pete
Yummy. Great Idea, Pete and a wonderful Pavlova as Dessert.
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 AM   #341
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Great traffic on the road.
Yet another beautiful update with classic widebodies.

Thank-you, my friend. I was inspired to feature a tribute to some classic Qantas aircraft due to the recent, and sudden, retirement of their 747 airplanes. I will feature the rest of their 747 fleet(the 1:500 examples) in the next few days.
Pete
Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 AM   #342
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Yummy. Great Idea, Pete and a wonderful Pavlova as Dessert.

You speak my language!! I would love to re-live my experiences there--a marvelous country indeed and of course Qantas to-, from-, and around the country has always factored into my numerous trips down under and is an integral part of the whole Australian experience (and speaking of Pavlova, etc. QF's in-flight food is quite good, too!). Thanks for following the thread; I'll be featuring more of Qantas here shortly--stay tuned.

Pete
Old 08-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #343
ATP Captain

On one special summer's day back in 1995, plane spotters in Dromedarius were given a treat of Pacific/Oceania airplane delicacies! First up was the magnificent Nalanji Dreaming edition of Qantas’ 747-300, seen here turning off runway 9 immediately after its arrival:

The specialized livery on the -300 appears even more striking as seen by hikers from atop Mount Baldy:

Carrying the Australian Travel delegation, the Qantas plane is pulled via tug to a most privileged parking spot, between two gorgeous Hawaiian L-1011 jets! Incidentally, the Tri Stars were in Dromedarius for re-painting; they were removed from service a year prior to the photograph, and will continue flying with another carrier:

The Australian travel delegation members have completed their business obligations at the annual Dromedarius Travel Fair, and fly back to their homeland aboard beautiful ‘Big Blue,’ seen here lifting off from runway 9:

Finally, with its maintenance complete, this Hawaiian DC-9 50 takes a swing past the lush Dromedarian north coast after taking off, to begin the multi-stop journey back to its Pacific base in Honolulu. One can’t help but notice the striking resemblance that this part of the island has to Kauai’s beautiful Na Pali coast. As such, the Hawaiian Airlines twinjet looks perfectly at home in this setting:

Last edited by uncle beat; 08-14-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #344
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

These classic Qantas and Hawaiian birds really look at home amongst the scenery of Dromedarius Pete! Great work as always and nice photography too. What's coming next for Dromedarius?

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #345
Admin

Those Hawaiian planes must really feel like they're at home, as Cal pointed out previously. I love the last shot of the Hawaiian T-tail flying over the cascade.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: