MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 21 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #301
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Great angles on your photography Pete, looks stunning!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2020, 02:58 PM   #302
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Wonderful Alitalia models you have there Pete! Both the new and old liveries look great with the backdrop of sandy Dromedarius behind them!

- Cal.

KNYM | New York Metro International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #303
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Thanks for sharing the beautiful Alitalia airplanes, it is a great tribute to all Italian Wings900 members!
Thanks so much indeed, positive rep. added for the tribute.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #304
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Great angles on your photography Pete, looks stunning!
Thank-you! My recent favorite is the 777 as it sneaks in between the mountains on final approach! More coming today, I appreciate your following along

Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #305
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Wonderful Alitalia models you have there Pete! Both the new and old liveries look great with the backdrop of sandy Dromedarius behind them!

- Cal.
Indeed the green Alitalia colors are a perfect color-wheel opposite to the Reddish-brown hues of the diorama's sand and hills. The Alitalia look, in all its incarnations, is timeless and iconic. Thanks also for keeping up with the progress here on this thread!
Pete
Old 06-27-2020, 05:18 AM   #306
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Thanks for sharing the beautiful Alitalia airplanes, it is a great tribute to all Italian Wings900 members!
Thanks so much indeed, positive rep. added for the tribute.
Americans have a long-standing love affair with Italy--unparalleled art, history and culture, fantastic food, and amazing people. It is only natural to display the beautiful Alitalia livery in this thread! Thank-you again for all of your positive comments, I plan some more installments today.
Pete
Old 06-27-2020, 07:29 AM   #307
ATP Captain

An Unexpected Visitor

Superficially, the operations by Aerosur (IATA code 5L) at Dromedarius International Airport may have seemed unusual and unexpected. But, the airline managed to use the DRX stop as a logical waypoint on its flights between the very-high altitude airport at La Paz and several European points. Furthermore, the open skies policy at the airport and liberal stopover rules by the airline, created a unique and useful niche market while the airline was in operation.

The first view shows a nighttime landing of Aerosur’s 747-300, approaching runway 9 over West Bay in Dromedarius:

Same airplane, different perspective: a photo of 5L’s 743 over West Bay:

Following a transit of several hours duration, the Aerosur 747-300 takes off from runway 9 at dawn, continuing its journey to Madrid:

Compañía Boliviana de Transporte Aéreo Privado Aerosur, S.A. painted a 767-200 with this shark motif; it was appropriately nicknamed “Sharko.” The plane is seen here pulling into gate E-9 at DRX:

A more friendly dolphin countenance is displayed on 5L’s 737-200 ‘Bufeo,’ taxiing towards the maintenance shop at Dromedarius:

“El Sharko” ready for takeoff from runway 27, on a flight from DRX to Cochabamba:

A view of the Aerosur 747-400 flagship at Dromedarius, being readied at gate E-9 for the onward journey DRX-MAD:

That's a lot of bull! The Aersur 744 taxis to runway 9 for an immediate departure to Spain:

Old 06-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #308
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

These Aerosur models are wonderful. Such an exotic airline with great liveries. Really sad to know they ceased operations
Old 06-27-2020, 11:21 AM   #309
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Great shots of the 747-400 and 743 flying over the bay! The layout might be impracitcal, but it does give a stunning shot!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 07-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #310
ATP Captain

Hello everyone, hope all of you are staying well these days! There have been some absolutely phenomenal airports displayed on the forum lately. Inspired by these works of art, I have been busy improving some of the scenery adjacent to runway 27 at Dromedarius.

First of all, parallel to runway 27 is the signature mountain "La Meseta," modeled after the iconic Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa. Although my first iteration captured the basic outline and shape of the original, I decided that my version needed more detail at the rocky line angles. This operation would require much plaster work, paint, and application of blended turf. The first picture shows the addition of the plaster. It is the messiest step, it is irreversible, and you may find yourself questioning why you are even doing this in the first place!

After the plaster is set and REALLY DRY (wait 8-12 hours minimum, to avoid future problems with the forthcoming paint layer), painting of the rocky surfaces commences. Although this seems counter-intuitive (especially for those familiar with watercolor technique), work backwards from DARK to LIGHT. Ensure that all of the nooks and crannies get a good application of dark grey or dark brown paint (pure black paint is too harsh):

Once the paint is completely dry, the mountain surface is ready for selective application of soft, fine "Turf" available online from Woodland Scenics (https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscen.../show/item/T43)
I suggest applying a light brown or beige turf to the leading edges first, and then blend (in a gradient fashion) a green shade of your choice (slightly darker is best, to avoid the look of a golf course putting green):

Also, I've re-striped the remote gate parking position to hold either a single A380 (Gate D-1-A) or acommodate two narrow bodied planes (Gates D-1-B and D-2):

More pictures will follow as further updates, including softening of the turf edges with plants, bushes, and trees, are completed
Meanwhile, stay safe and keep on modelling!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 07-18-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #311
Admin

Real nice work on the table rock recreation Pete, the detail on the mountain's textures is amazing!

Old 07-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #312
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Real nice work on the table rock recreation Pete, the detail on the mountain's textures is amazing!

Thank-you for the compliment! In an upcoming segment, I'll show how good it all looks with the added bushes and topiary
Old 07-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #313
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Wonderful update Pete, it is amazing how you created the mountain.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #314
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Nice to see you back on the forum Pete! Great job on the mountain, your scenery is definitely a highlight of this thread!

- Cal.

KNYM | New York Metro International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:18 AM   #315
The Dark Side

What a diorama Pete, almost perfect in all details. I love the lake before the runway.

Charter airlines lover

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: