MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 20 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-13-2020, 09:55 AM   #286
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Very interesting update, Pete, I'm adding the Air Canada E175 service to your airport via Ottawa (night stop) very soon!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #287
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Airport Parking Positions

As any airport diorama builder will tell you, one of the most enjoyable parts of the process is when you finally get to the stage whereby the airport is ready for the parking positions to be finalized. An enthusiast can spend hours, even days, working out these details. It gives the creator a hands-on opportunity to physically interact with all of the beloved models in his/her collection, and as part of this mental exercise the collector may even be transported back to a particular trip or other travel experience. The absolute glory of one’s collective memory!

From the very beginning of the diorama building sequence, there will have been rough plans (mentally and hopefully either on paper or penciled on to the foil!) as to where the planes will go, which types will be used at each gate, and so forth, but once the building of the terminal and associated concourses begins, the placement of gates/jetways/airstairs must be established in earnest. Here at Dromedarius, I am personally in the middle of this very exercise. Follow along and together we can enjoy the evolving terminal and concourses.

The first picture is an overhead view of proposed footprint of the main terminal site:

Registering over 500 total linear feet of available curb space, there should be adequate room for the vehicles of both arriving and departing passengers. The proposed terminal design is shown here—whereas neighboring SanYsidro airport has a split-level arrival and departure roadway arrangement, Dromedarius handles both functions on one level:

A closeup of the arrival side of Dromedarius’ terminal:

An overhead view of gates D-4 and D-5 show the proposed positioning of their jetways; these are both narrow-body gates:

Further west are gates in the “E” Concourse; this overhead picture depicts potential aircraft positions as penciled onto sticky notes attached to the ground surface:

The distal end of Concourse E is flexible, and can be configured with one gate (E-9) to hold a single large wingspan widebody airplane such as the United jumbo shown here. . .

. . .or, two narrowbodied aircraft when arranged as E-8 and E-10:

Passengers can be seen making their way down Concourse E, an easy journey thanks to its moving walkways and escalators:

Gate E-7 is perfect for planes up to the old mid-sized widebodies like the B-767, A300, or this United DC-10:

Another view of the far end of Concourse E. Gates E-8 and E-9 comfortably hold these two TAM big boys, an MD-11 and a 777-300:

Finally, an ideal summertime configuration including an American Eagle regional parked at E-10:

uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #288
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
Very interesting update, Pete, I'm adding the Air Canada E175 service to your airport via Ottawa (night stop) very soon!!!

Oh oh, I don't have this type of plane, AC E175 is not made in 1:500, would you consider the 777-200, A321, or the CRJ-900? When released (coming soon in 1:500), I will also get the A330 and A220.

Last edited by uncle beat; 06-13-2020 at 06:24 PM.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #289
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a beautiful United Airlines "Battleship livery" fleet, the DC-10 rules!

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:27 PM   #290
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What a beautiful United Airlines "Battleship livery" fleet, the DC-10 rules!

I think the Battleship Gray colors of UA were spectacular--really business-like and they created an almost diplomatic presence both on the ground and in the sky. I agree that the DC-10 rules--I try to display the ones that I have as often as possible
Pete
Old 06-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #291
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The simplicity in an AA lineup featuring just their Airbus narrowbodies, as depicted in your last photo, really captures a PHX feeling for me. Combined with the desert landscape, it really makes me dream of hot desert days such as my time in Palm Springs last year (47 celsius 117 fahrenheit)!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:37 AM   #292
Senior Captain

Airport Parking Positions: “Night Moves”

As the sun sets and darkness envelopes the airport, its buildings, the tarmac, and ground surfaces come alive with different types of lighting and an unmistakable, transcendental aura surrounds the facility. I have tried to capture this mood by incorporating different lighting sources as I prepare the airport buildings at Dromedarius.

This first view shows one of the gate areas. The internal building lighting illuminates the passenger figures in silhouette form, as they wait for their departure from E-5:

A Lufthansa A320 (in new colors) taxis past Gate E-6, which is one of four positions at Dromedarius that include my self-made tarmac light fixtures. These are model railroad LED bulb-and-wire ensembles, encased in hollow coffee stirrers (which function as the light poles), and topped by the Herpa decorative multi- lamp bezels to complete the look.

This view of gates E-6 through E-10 shows the powerful lighting that the tarmac lamps (as described above) generate:

This parting image captures all three of the lighting modalities at Dromedarius: runway/taxiway surface lighting, tarmac floodlights, and terminal building lighting. As viewed from the street in the middle of the night, this photo captures the sacred essence before dawn of an airport devoid of airplanes, its buildings populated mostly by third shift workers and passengers on long layovers (or perhaps missed connections!):

Old 06-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #293
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Really MAGIC Pete!

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:06 AM   #294
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The simplicity in an AA lineup featuring just their Airbus narrowbodies, as depicted in your last photo, really captures a PHX feeling for me. Combined with the desert landscape, it really makes me dream of hot desert days such as my time in Palm Springs last year (47 celsius 117 fahrenheit)!

It was exactly that desert vibe that I was going for! There is something special about that climate, the stillness in the air, the blueness of the sky, that is magical to me. Plus, any architecture-lover HAS to see Palm Springs, a living museum of mid-century modern. Exquisite place.
Pete
Old 06-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #295
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Really MAGIC Pete!

Thank-you! Night time is really special with everything illuminated. I can sit for an hour in front of this display, mesmerized!
Pete
Old 06-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #296
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Pete, why are these 2 guys on the right doing a Handstand and turned upside down ?

Waiting too long for connection and doing Yoga ?
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #297
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Pete, why are these 2 guys on the right doing a Handstand and turned upside down ?

Waiting too long for connection and doing Yoga ?
LOL! Your comment made my day
I heard those two guys just got their upgrades, they are over-the-top happy and are dancing around
Old 06-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #298
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

That sounds like something I'd do.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #299
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
That sounds like something I'd do.

Me too! Every now and then AA has surprised me, and my response also is to jump up and down/do cartwheels, etc! I reached one million miles with them on a trip to the U.K. in January, and the return flight LHR-MIA was in first. Sometimes they show their appreciation in really nice ways.
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 06-24-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #300
Senior Captain

Some Practice Take-offs and Landings

The pilots at Alitalia have always enjoyed their assignments at Dromedarius. Not only are the layovers filled with fun and excitement in the town and at the beaches, the training requirements give them the opportunity to show off their flying skills. The next few pictures highlight just some of the exercises the crew have undertaken over the years.

The trustworthy DC-10 flew for Alitalia to Dromedarius in the early 1980’s; here is an example of one on final approach to runway 27 during a practice landing:

'Large and in-charge,' the Boeing 777-200 was the primary vehicle used by Alitalia between Rome and Dromedarius during the busy summer months for many years. Here we see a fine example of the 772 performing the famous left turn on final approach to runway 27:

A beautiful view as captured from atop the old town church tower, of the same Triple Seven sneaking around ‘Mount Baldy’ during some practice landings a few years back:

Successor to the 777 on this route, an A330 climbs sharply (and turning slightly to the right) during a practice take-off from Dromedarius’ runway 9:

Ready for take-off using runway 27, this final view shows the sexy Alitalia A320, which is the type flying between Italy and the island during the slow season in autumn:

Last edited by uncle beat; 06-24-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: