MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 19 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #271
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Qatar Airway’s A380 airplanes were originally planned for the old color scheme, an example of which is shown here upon landing on Dromedarius’ runway 9. A herd of elephants (“jumbos” in their own right!) can be seen in the background admiring this man-made aluminum jumbo!

The A380 is tugged into position for re-painting in Qatar’s latest colours:

A view of Qatar’s glistening new A380 being repainted at Dromedarius’ maintenance facility:

Another picture is taken, this time from an overhead perspective, as the painting job nears completion:

With the new colors applied, the A380 trundles down runway 27 and starts its long journey home with the twinkling skyline of Dromedarius spread magnificently before the aircraft:

Parting view of this amazing bird as its wheels leave the pavement:

uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #272
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I love the Qatar A380 storyline Pete! The plane coming in in its older colours and being painted with all the construction around it!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:17 PM   #273
First Officer

buettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dog

Indeed, a great storyline, Pete! Fantastic work!
So, you did the paintjob on the plane yourself?
I must say that the new colours of Qatar look much better!!!

My registered fleet (still many items missing):
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabase/mycollection/collection-24536.html
buettni is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2020, 05:39 AM   #274
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I love the Qatar A380 storyline Pete! The plane coming in in its older colours and being painted with all the construction around it!

Being a fictional airport, I am given the artistic license to incorporate a more diverse cross-section of planes than what might otherwise be possible. Creating the story to explain and support what is going on in the pictures has been a fun part of the process! I would hope that all of this encourages other enthusiasts to consider widening the scope of what gets displayed at their airports--everything from derelict/historical planes, planes from places far removed from the model airport location, and airlines that might not make any sense to the project's service pattern can all be accommodated, if the storyline can be created to justify what is going on!

I am happy that so many have been following my airport projects as they unfold--they are works in progress. Thank-you for being an active participant in this rather elongated thread--there is much more to come! Let the good times roll

Pete
Old 06-05-2020, 05:54 AM   #275
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by buettni View Post
Indeed, a great storyline, Pete! Fantastic work!
So, you did the paintjob on the plane yourself?
I must say that the new colours of Qatar look much better!!!

Thank-you for the compliments. In this particular case, the 1:500 Herpa model was released well before Qatar actually got their first A380, and the livery for the real aeroplane was changed before the plane entered service with them! Rather than be defeated by this situation and never displaying the old model, I decided to fabricate a story to support the presence of both old and new color Qatar A380's at my airport!

Like you, I think that the latest colors of Qatar airways are amazing, some of the most beautiful of any airline. The billboard font and the tail graphics are instantly recognizable, professional-looking, and will no doubt become one of those iconic, eternally beloved liveries. Thank-you again for following along and I will endeavor to provide updates as my projects evolve.
Pete
Old 06-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #276
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Being a fictional airport, I am given the artistic license to incorporate a more diverse cross-section of planes than what might otherwise be possible. Creating the story to explain and support what is going on in the pictures has been a fun part of the process! I would hope that all of this encourages other enthusiasts to consider widening the scope of what gets displayed at their airports--everything from derelict/historical planes, planes from places far removed from the model airport location, and airlines that might not make any sense to the project's service pattern can all be accommodated, if the storyline can be created to justify what is going on!

I am happy that so many have been following my airport projects as they unfold--they are works in progress. Thank-you for being an active participant in this rather elongated thread--there is much more to come! Let the good times roll

Pete
The joy you have in your diorama is evident from all your work, so it's not a nuisance to follow along

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 06-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #277
ATP Captain

A weekend in the Florida Keys--!
Sorry for no posts this weekend--except to share that I drove down to the Keys. The travel bug continues to bite, especially with no options for us to fly overseas at the moment.

Anyway, here is a picture of me at the "No-Name Pub" near Big Pine Key south of the Seven Mile Bridge -- a great place to stop for lunch on the drive down to Key West : ) P.S.: sorry about the mask--a local mandate during the pandemic

Paying homage to the only domestic flight I observed, which was a Delta 737, presumably ATL-EYW:

Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #278
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
A weekend in the Florida Keys--!
Sorry for no posts this weekend--except to share that I drove down to the Keys. The travel bug continues to bite, especially with no options for us to fly overseas at the moment.

Anyway, here is a picture of me at the "No-Name Pub" near Big Pine Key south of the Seven Mile Bridge -- a great place to stop for lunch on the drive down to Key West : ) P.S.: sorry about the mask--a local mandate during the pandemic

Paying homage to the only domestic flight I observed, which was a Delta 737, presumably ATL-EYW:

Ciao Pete, glad to see you!!!
What a fantasy, you have, great!
I love the various spotter-elephants along the threshold.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #279
ATP Captain

Qatar Airways Anthology, continued:

Both the old and the new Qatar Airways liveries look stunning in the desert backdrop of Dromedarius. Although the cacti as well as the red-colored, rocky landscape are more American Southwest in nature, nonetheless it is great to look at some more of QR’s planes!

Truly a modern-day miracle, the 777-300 can be found flying some of the longest routes in the aviation world. Here is a Qatar Airways example in new colors as it completes its landing roll on Dromedarius’ runway 9. WOULDN’T IT BE GREAT IF HERPA WOULD MAKE A QR 777-200LR???

Unquestionably one of the best of the new batch of advanced widebody planes, this photo shows a Qatar Airways A350-900 in the foreground, while an A350-1000 stands parked immediately behind it:

Detail of the forward section of the A350-900:

Even the old four-engined A-340-600 is handsome in QR’s most recent colors!

“Wearing it well,” an old-color QR A330 turns onto runway 27 for takeoff:

In the original Qatar colors, this QR A-340-600 taxis towards the terminal:

There is a timeless quality to the appearance of this old-color Qatar Airways A-300:

Back to the repair shop, this 788 turns in to the hangar to repair the electronic window shades:

And finally, this nimble little Qatar Airways A-320 heads over to the paint shop to get the beautiful new paint job applied. ATTENTION HERPA: Please do the same!! We are serious collectors and aviation lovers--we need a QR A320 in the beautiful new colors!!

Old 06-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #280
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Some more great updates Pete, the diversity of your collection continues to surprise us! I really like your photo of the two Qatari A350's parked on the diagonal stands - this livery looks great on the A350's, especially on the -1000 variant. Cool to see yourself making an appearance on the thread too!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #281
Admin

The Qatar livery goed along really well with the background scenery Pete! The dark orange/red sandtones and Qatar's gray livery are really good looking together!

Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #282
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What Qatar Airways model do you prefer: A350 or B787?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:09 AM   #283
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Some more great updates Pete, the diversity of your collection continues to surprise us! I really like your photo of the two Qatari A350's parked on the diagonal stands - this livery looks great on the A350's, especially on the -1000 variant. Cool to see yourself making an appearance on the thread too!

- Cal.

Thank-you for the appreciation, and for following the thread! I agree that the QR livery looks especially handsome on the A350. In general, I like to showcase an airline's entire fleet as available in 1:500 scale models. Often, this makes the evolution of a company's logo and branding much more apparent, as well as the maturation of its fleet of airplanes. In Qatar's case, the airline has become, in a short period of time, a very exquisite travel mode.

Re: "me in the Keys," this puts a face and a personality to the thread--since we are all virtual friends in this online forum and all of us sharing a passion for flying/aviation/model collecting/travel/airlines, this adds the otherwise missing human factor
Old 06-11-2020, 05:28 AM   #284
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The Qatar livery goed along really well with the background scenery Pete! The dark orange/red sandtones and Qatar's gray livery are really good looking together!

The contrast of the scenery colors with the grey Qatari livery truly is a standout! I am thinking also of how great any of the blue aeroplanes, particularly KLM, will look here at Dromedarius!

I am so happy and grateful for the wide representation of QR by Herpa in the 1:500 scale, but as I mentioned in the posts, it would be simply amazing for them to make an A320, A321, and B-777-200 in new colors, and then we would have a nearly complete fleet! These models would sell well and most importantly for the company, would help to extend the appeal and broaden the customer base overall of the 1:500 scale as well. I am sure people at Herpa are reading this, so this comment will hopefully lead to some serious consideration!
Pete
Old 06-11-2020, 05:34 AM   #285
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What Qatar Airways model do you prefer: A350 or B787?

This is a tough question, because they are two of the best-looking new generation airplanes and Herpa has represented both of them well in 1:500. The 788 is sporty, trim, and athletic-looking, but the elegant wing curvature on the A350 gives it a slight visual advantage. I'm grateful Herpa has produced both for us
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: