MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 17 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #241
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

It's really interesting to have a 'behind the scenes' look at some of the construction processes going into your diorama Pete. I definitely share your enthusiasm for building large dioramas in smaller, more manageable sections that come together to create the overall diorama - this is the method that I've always used for my own dioramas.

While I agree that it's definitely more useful to have the cargo and hangar area, it would be really cool to see a graveyard section! I've always wanted to model one of these and fill it with classic models, but I just don't have the space at the moment!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2020, 01:40 PM   #242
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Don't try to push that EK A380 back Pete!

Great development on Dromedarius!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:29 PM   #243
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

I did not know you had these skills about building handmade airports! Really impressive, especially because i know well the hard job behind an airport like this.
Well done my friend.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines, CSA...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2020, 06:06 AM   #244
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Don't try to push that EK A380 back Pete!

Great development on Dromedarius!

Thank-you for the compliments and following along! Re: the A380, I've decided to go against the current trend of eliminating this plane, and I'm going to devote an entire gate including three jetbridges to this airplane. Since I love flying the A380 so much, I am going to keep it alive in my projects--after all, they are fantasy airports anyway. There's no question about the limited and dissapointing numerical economics about this plane if it is not flying full, but as a marketing tool to sway passengers over to flying on the brands that use this flagship, it has been 100% successful. From the passenger's perspective, there is nothing like it. At any rate, it is finally Saturday and I will have time to continue my work on the rather complicated Dromedarius approach scenery. Stay tuned!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #245
ATP Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
I did not know you had these skills about building handmade airports! Really impressive, especially because i know well the hard job behind an airport like this.
Well done my friend.
Thank-you very much! I think you and I share the love of the creative PROCESS that is involved with using our eyes, hands, and brains when it comes to building our airport projects, from the ground up. Unfortunately in my case, I am not all that proliferative and it takes me forever sometimes to move forward, mostly because I have to think through the construction of every detail, then I sleep on it and think some more before actually doing the work! Furthermore, there isn't much published information out there in terms of how to do most of this work, so every lighting procedure, every scenery element, etc. is either made from scratch or highly modified from something else. In the end the reward is (hopefully) a good outcome that we can share with others for mutual enjoyment. I guess I wouldn't have it any other way! I am glad you have been following the MAGIC thread--stay with the posts since there is more to come--time for me to get to work on Dromedarius. It is Saturday, it is stormy and windy here in Florida today, and I am motivated
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-16-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #246
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
It's really interesting to have a 'behind the scenes' look at some of the construction processes going into your diorama Pete. I definitely share your enthusiasm for building large dioramas in smaller, more manageable sections that come together to create the overall diorama - this is the method that I've always used for my own dioramas.

While I agree that it's definitely more useful to have the cargo and hangar area, it would be really cool to see a graveyard section! I've always wanted to model one of these and fill it with classic models, but I just don't have the space at the moment!

- Cal.

Thank-you for sharing your appreciation of the process that goes into creating the product! Due to storage concerns, my stackable panels have been a great solution that have allowed me to have three relatively large airports despite living in a condominium, and as I have noted previously, the "crawl space" or basement that exists under each panel has given me the additional luxury of space for the lighting wires, and also mounted lampposts, trees and bushes (the height of scenery being limited by the wooden framing around each panel's edge). Regarding the airplane graveyard section, it was hard for me to eliminate it from Dromedarius because I think having an area/subsection devoted exclusively to derelict airliners is such a great way to display the defunct airplanes and airlines in our collections. There is really no time or generational limitation on what could be displayed in the storage yard. At any rate, I will stay true to my promise and include this feature in the third airport (St.Francis) of this trilogy, so all is not lost. Again, thank-you for following along and thank goodness it is Saturday--time to create more content!
Pete
Old 05-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #247
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

very interesting project, Pete! I'll have an Air Canada A330 to your airport from mine very soon, speaking of which, I'll have an update ready soon!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #248
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by solicitor82 View Post
very interesting project, Pete! I'll have an Air Canada A330 to your airport from mine very soon, speaking of which, I'll have an update ready soon!

I would be honored to have direct service between our two airports. And, the choice of aircraft can be yours, I have New-Color Air Canada 777-200, Bombardier, the A320, A321 and A330 available / on standby. Looking forward to this! Meanwhile as this week progresses the scenery at the eastern end ~ runway 27 side of the airport (with approach lighting and formidable 3-D terrain) will be rolled out for viewing

Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-17-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #249
ATP Captain

Right now, Air Canada only serves Dromedarius from Halifax, Nova Scotia in the far eastern section of the country, using this thrifty little Bombardier CRJ 900. Talks are in place at this time to add service, possibly from Toronto!

In-Progress: The Approach Work Continues

Adjusting the heights of the fibre-optic approach lighting--the objective is to create a smooth, safe descent. The "Santa's Hat" at the start of final approach will not be used in the final diorama (!), it is actually just covering up the light that will be used to illuminate the structure planned for that site:

The wiring contents of ‘Sleeping Giant Mountain’ as seen, prior to sealing it up with scenery:

Nighttime view—double checking alignment, warning lamps, etc. This is truly the "ugly duckling" phase of construction --to all of my faithful followers, be assured that progress is being made on a continuous basis to get to the final result as quickly as possible!!

Old 05-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #250
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Just like the Canarsie Visual lights at JFK! looking good so far!
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:29 AM   #251
ATP Captain

Thank-you to all of the loyal followers of this thread, for waiting patiently to see updates on the modifications being made to the eastern half of ‘Dromedarius.’ This entire week has been spent working on the project—it goes slowly, because not only does each step require planning and thought (in the case of this diorama, everything has to be planned for future storage capability AND the creation of hidden access panels for the wiring of the lighting system): there are also significant time requirements for letting glue dry, waiting for plaster to set, paint drying time, etc.! Logistical headaches that must be overcome, but in the end are truly worth the trouble. Soooo, this post shows many of the steps involved with these procedures.

The terrain for the eastern section of the Dromedarius airport diorama was created in two phases, the first being the establishment of the “crater rim” which contains most of the approach lighting and (eventually) the famous ”checkerboard” approach guide. Here is a view of the wooden substructure of the crater:

The crater rim during plaster application: the plaster will smooth out the otherwise blunt wood substructure and fill in any gaps. Note the LED approach lighting sitting on the end of runway 27 prior to installation—these lights were originally curved model railroad street lamps, which have been modified for this airport application. The heights of the lamps become gradually shorter as they near the end of the runway:

This view shows the process of moving the “piano keys,” etc. several hundred feet down the runway and creating a displaced threshold for runway 27:

Establishing the height of “Mount Baldy” (the second, and much taller, phase of the terrain) using wood forms and Styrofoam, that will create the substructure. This view shows plaster being applied atop the substructure:

A practice approach by an old American Airlines MD-11. Truly a fun landing for the pilots, and any aviation enthusiasts on board with window seats have a field day when arriving onto runway 27 at Dromedarius!

Doing a final check on the positioning of the checkerboard and curved approach lighting, before final installation. The angulation of the checkerboard is crucial to allow full illumination AND visibility for approaching aircraft.

COMING UP IN JUST A FEW HOURS: What the diorama looks like right now, PAINTED!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-23-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 AM   #252
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Not the most practical approach Pete, but what the heck. I know you like to have a little fun mixed in the diorama and that's visible in your latest developments.

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #253
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by United 752 View Post
Just like the Canarsie Visual lights at JFK! looking good so far!

The approach to JFK 13 was one of my inspirations here (glad that you noticed this!). Due to space limitations, obviously my 90 degree turn is a bit sharper!! For anyone interested in what Chris is talking about:
https://wingmag.com/en/the-canarsie-approach
Aviation is amazing!!
Pete
Old 05-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #254
ATP Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Not the most practical approach Pete, but what the heck. I know you like to have a little fun mixed in the diorama and that's visible in your latest developments.

No question about it, impractical is almost my middle name. All of my friends would agree on this!! But like you have noticed, fun is totally worth it, and the upcoming section will help show this as well. Thanks for following along and commenting on the progress as well as the process--it helps all of us on the forum!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-23-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #255
EmiratesTwoFourOneSuper

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

Pete, there will be a flight from Toronto with the E175...very soon!!!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: