MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 16 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #226
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

American Airlines Fleet in the MAGIC Islands:
The Airbus Widebodies at Dromedarius

American Airlines also has Airbus A330-200 widebodied aircraft in their fleet at the moment. These planes, along with the just-retired A330-300 jets, were inherited from USAir as part of the merger of the two companies in 2013. AA had previously indicated its long-range intentions of phasing the Airbus widebodies out of the fleet at some point in the future, but just removed the A330-300 and furthermore plans to remove the remaining A330-200’s from service on an accelerated basis.

American Airlines does not operate the A330 to the island of San Ysidro; instead it uses these planes from the mainland U.S.A. to the island of Dromedarius "DRX", also part of the "MAGIC" (Mid-Atlantic Group of Island Colonies) situated some 450 miles east of SYX. In this first view, an American Airlines A330-300 is parked alongside its little brother A330-200 at the remote gate area of Dromedarius Airport; another AA A330-200 taxis behind these two:

The two A330’s will wait overnight at DRX before their return trips to the U.S. mainland the next morning:

It’s quite a long taxi down to the end of Runway 27. The AA flight attendants for this Philadelphia-bound flight have plenty of time to finish the safety briefing!

Waiting patiently while the Emirates A380 'does its thing:'

The A330-200 turns onto Runway 27 for the four-hour journey to Philadelphia; the jagged outline of the mountainous “Three Fingers” stands in the distance:

Lifting off from DRX, passengers on both sides of the aircraft will get a great view of the beautiful highrise skyline of Dromedarius’ ‘Playa Fideos’ resort district:

In a Blast from the Past circa 2002, an American Airlines A300-600 turns onto Runway 9, for its flight from Dromedarius to JFK:

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-07-2020 at 07:29 PM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #227
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Great photos once again Pete, the scenery of Dromedarius looks very nice indeed. Sad to hear of the American A330-300 retirement - it seems American is really cutting down it's fleet at the moment. Anyway, I'd love to see that polished MD-11 hiding in the background make a full appearance sometime! Where is the Emirates A380 headed?

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #228
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

That shot with the A330-200 lining up with the palm trees gives me a true 'Phoenix' vibe. Great stuff Pete!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #229
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Night Moves: Dromedarius After Hours Part I

Airports assume an entirely different identity once the sun sets: airlines with nighttime operations take center stage, their aircraft moving in and out of the shadows. Scant ambient lighting further adds to the mysterious and glamorous alter ego of our beloved airports. That said, a few “after hours” snaps of Dromedarius are provided to further reinforce this notion. Enjoy!

Pete

A pilot’s-eye view of an evening landing on runway 9 at Dromedarius International Airport: although there are tall buildings on either side of the approach, the structures directly beneath the flight path are relatively short. The exception to this is the condominium ‘Villa Terra Cotta,’ which stands 100 feet high but thanks to the runway’s displaced threshold, is over 500 feet from the piano keys and well over 1,000 feet from the main touchdown zone. Also note the amazing AA tri-jet wide-bodies taxiing at the airport’s western perimeter:

Here an American Airlines MD-11 strikes a pose whilst taxiing to the gate following its arrival from Chicago. The electrified lamp post also seen in this view is a highly-modified Herpa structure, revised to contain a functioning LED obtained from a model railroad supply company. A skinny, hollow plastic straw replaces the original post element and contains the wire; Herpa’s lamp shade sits atop the LED bulb!

Sexy-looking DC-10 in American Airlines’ original bare metal colors, seen here exiting runway 9 after a long nine hour journey from Los Angeles:

Urban Planner’s dream-come-true: the cluster of mixed-use buildings at the intersection of Cedros Avenue and La Cienaga Boulevard in downtown Dromedarius, with the high rise apartments and hotels of the Playa Fideos district just beyond:

It can be argued that boat navigation is MUCH more difficult at night: imagine a seagoing vessel having to negotiate the narrow 'East Bay' channel between the Dromedarius lighthouse and the Tres Caminos Hotel in the dark!

Old 05-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #230
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Great photos once again Pete, the scenery of Dromedarius looks very nice indeed. Sad to hear of the American A330-300 retirement - it seems American is really cutting down it's fleet at the moment. Anyway, I'd love to see that polished MD-11 hiding in the background make a full appearance sometime! Where is the Emirates A380 headed?

- Cal.

Your wish now comes true--the polished MD-11 appears in the most recent installment above! I will post more pictures of these beautiful tri-jets shortly/thanks for following along!
Pete
Old 05-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #231
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
That shot with the A330-200 lining up with the palm trees gives me a true 'Phoenix' vibe. Great stuff Pete!

Desert-like Dromedarius definitely generates a different vibe than tropical San Ysidro! DRX is a work in progress, and I will be posting the significant developments to the project as they occur. Stay tuned, and thanks for being a loyal follower!
Pete
Old 05-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #232
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

What a beauty! A dream...
How large the layout is my friend?

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #233
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
What a beauty! A dream...
How large the layout is my friend?

Hi Alessandro:
Thank-you for your comments! The dimensions of my three dioramas have been standardized to a size of 34 inches X 90 inches (86 1/3cm X 228.5cm), so that each one can fit atop the rolling display base that I made last summer. Furthermore, all of the terrain/hills/mountaintops etc. are no taller than 14 inches (35.5cm) for adequate clearance from the detachable acrylic display tops. Although San Ysidro and Dromedarius were built from the beginning to fit the base, I had to confront the truly unfortunate scenario of cutting about 18 inches width from each of the six panels for my third diorama 'St.Francis.' Thank God I was able to accomplish this width reduction without damaging/disrupting the sub-panel wiring for the lighting, which was already fully installed

Here, a full-on overhead picture of Dromedarius this morning. The Playa Fideos/East Bay district is in the distance, the upcoming ancient town of Tahpooz and adjacent 'Crater Hill' will be created in the foreground:

Old 05-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #234
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Wonderful realization.
Why don't you really create something like "checkerboard hill" for San Ysidro, the same of Kai Tak?
Your layout is really already mythical but with a "San Ysidro checkerboard hill signal" it would be even more mythical! The "icing on the cake"!

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:56 PM   #235
Senior Captain

Quote:
Wonderful realization.
Why don't you really create something like "checkerboard hill" for San Ysidro, the same of Kai Tak?
Your layout is really already mythical but with a "San Ysidro checkerboard hill signal" it would be even more mythical! The "icing on the cake"!

OMG, you are reading my mind! In this very thread--just above this post in fact, I mentioned making "Crater Hill" (which would be near the end of runway 27), and in your Kai Tak thread I also alluded to making some kind of tribute to the erstwhile Hong Kong checkerboard--I am already mentally creating how I will do this, including illumination. This should be fun--stay tuned and thanks for continuing to be an inspiration here on the forum!!
Pete
Old 05-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #236
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
OMG, you are reading my mind! In this very thread--just above this post in fact, I mentioned making "Crater Hill" (which would be near the end of runway 27), and in your Kai Tak thread I also alluded to making some kind of tribute to the erstwhile Hong Kong checkerboard--I am already mentally creating how I will do this, including illumination. This should be fun--stay tuned and thanks for continuing to be an inspiration here on the forum!!
Pete
Great Pete, it would be a great addition!
You could add a "dramatic right/left" turn before the short final glide path. Imagining all the new airplanes never knew Kai Tak (like the A350 ot the B787) pointing the San Ysidro checkerboard point and then turning for landing!

Charter airlines lover

Old 05-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #237
Senior Captain

Quote:
Great Pete, it would be a great addition!
You could add a "dramatic right/left" turn before the short final glide path. Imagining all the new airplanes never knew Kai Tak (like the A350 ot the B787) pointing the San Ysidro checkerboard point and then turning for landing!

Super Ideas from you!! It would be so great to have the new airplanes of today, that will never get to do the original checkerboard approach, to do so here in my living room! I can't wait to get started on this!!
Pete
Old 05-10-2020, 09:46 AM   #238
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Your wish now comes true--the polished MD-11 appears in the most recent installment above! I will post more pictures of these beautiful tri-jets shortly/thanks for following along!
Pete
Loving the AA MD-11 Pete - it's a shame that these aircraft had such a short life with American. Also great to see the scenery of Dromedarius at night - the runway lighting and the illumination of the surrounding buildings really does look superb!

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:05 AM   #239
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Loving the AA MD-11 Pete - it's a shame that these aircraft had such a short life with American. Also great to see the scenery of Dromedarius at night - the runway lighting and the illumination of the surrounding buildings really does look superb!

- Cal.

Thank-you for the compliments on the lighting and scenery! The proximity of runway 9 to the urbanized area and tall buildings does contribute to the visual interest of the facility, not to mention additional complexity to flying. My next focus for will be to add terrain and natural obstacles to the land immediately in front of runway 27--should make for some fun approaches (and increased photo opportunities)!
Pete
Old 05-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #240
Senior Captain

Dromedarius: Improvements to the ‘East End’

Already some pictures have been released showing the highly-developed west side of Dromedarius. Today, I have embarked on the process of updating the airport and surrounding terrain on the eastern side of the project. These photos will help demonstrate the process as it evolves.

In the first view, the proposed locations of the ten illuminated lamps for the curved final approach of the airport’s microwave landing system are being established, using temporary red lamp bezels. Note also that the end of runway 27 will be modified to contain a displaced threshold:

Traditional LED streetlamps (from a 1:450 train set) being modified for use as approach lighting:

The airport is made of six interconnected panels. Here is a view of one panel turned on its side, which gives an overall impression of the versatility of using multiple, compact panels for a large diorama—one person can easily lift, maneuver, and position each panel and the panels are also easy to store:

Since the work being done involves modifying some of the light positions of an existing layout, there are already numerous obstacles (such as existing wiring) that get in the way. Caution is a must!

The airport had originally been designed to include a space to hold up to three old, non-functional airplanes—essentially a corrosion corner like the desert storage yards in Arizona and California. I decided it was more fun, and more useful in the long run, to move the cargo and hangar areas to that space, which in turn freed up additional terminal space for an A380 and a “W,” or up to four narrowbody planes:

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: