MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 15 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-01-2020, 08:13 AM   #211
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

I can't compare to StarJets AA models, but on a Hogan model I own the bare metal is still shinign unfaded!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #212
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I can't compare to StarJets AA models, but on a Hogan model I own the bare metal is still shinign unfaded!

Thank-you for the input! Although I don't have any Hogan models to compare to, based on your observations I will have to conclude that somehow it is only the bare-metal Herpas that have become so 'weathered' in appearance. In taking a philosophical approach, I'll have to rationalize this and say that they look like real planes that have been used a lot and need a good washing! At any rate, now I will work on the 777 segment today (both NC and OC)!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #213
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

American Airlines Fleet at San Ysidro
MORE Boeing Big Boys:

American Airlines was one of the early customers for the Boeing 777, and has operated both the -200ER and -300ER variants. Seen at airports all around the world, the ‘Triple Seven’ has made significant contributions to air transportation, with its economics, range, and passenger capacity.

This first view shows an American Airlines 777-300ER making an unscheduled stop in San Ysidro on its voyage between LHR and MIA, to check on some issues that developed mid-flight. None of the gates at SYX were designed for this plane, so the airport does not see regular service of this type:

Another view of the AA 773 at SYX. This impressive airplane commands attention and respect wherever it goes!

An American 772 taking off on an early afternoon flight for Miami during the school holidays of summer, 2019:

As night falls and with necessary repairs completed, the -300 prepares to take off from runway 10 and complete its trans-Atlantic journey back to Miami:

An evening arrival of the scheduled service from DFW, a beautiful AA 777-200ER taxis to the gate:

The American Airlines 772 is a regular visitor to San Ysidro during the busy traveling seasons around the Christmas holidays and summer. Taking up every inch of available space at Gate C-10, the return flight to Dallas is being prepared for departure:

Unforeseen circumstances: three is a crowd!! As seen from atop San Ysidro’s control tower, two more AA 772’s join the Dallas-bound 777 flight already on the ground—the aircraft being tugged to maintenance developed multiple clogged toilets on its flight from Miami to Spain and will be quickly serviced; meanwhile the Triple Seven taxiing behind it is a scheduled flight inbound from New York and awaits the imminent departure of the DFW operation:

Winging its way back to Dallas, the AA 777-200 takes to the skies from runway 10:

San Ysidro’s resident elephant herd takes a break from their bathing rituals to salute this American Airlines 777 landing on runway 10, inbound from Los Angeles:

The LAX flight, resplendent in the original ‘red, white, and blue’ colors, is unloaded at gate C-10:

The flight to LA backs up from gate C-10, while the inbound JFK service, also an OC 772, lands on runway 28:

Finally, a heart-felt tribute to breast cancer awareness is displayed on this American Airlines 777-200ER.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #214
Senior Captain

One more important addition!

HERE we have a 777-200ER in American Airlines' old red, white, and blue colors landing in the late afternoon on San Ysidro's runway 28--while a group of enthusiastic plane-spotters and aviation enthusiasts gather underneath this magnificent approach in their boats. Lucky them/airplane heaven

Old 05-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #215
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Fantastic update Pete - it's wonderful to see all of these American B777's at San Ysidro! The new livery birds look great, but then the polished bird from LAX arrived All I can say is wow - those polished B777's with the big 'AA' logo on the tail looked magnificent. Definitely one of my favorite aircraft-livery combinations of all-time.

Thanks for posting!

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #216
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

That Pink Ribbon 777 was such a good livery, and so was Delta's 767-400 in all pink. Too bad they're both gone, but we still have the gorgeous models and pictures provided by you Pete!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
Old 05-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #217
Senior Captain

American Airlines Fleet at San Ysidro:
The Next Generation of Boeing Big Boys:
American Airlines is busy incorporating the Boeing 787 airplane into its fleet. The airline plans to have 42 examples of the 234 passenger, short-fuselage 787-8 jets in the fleet, alongside 47 of the stretched, 285 passenger 787-9 aircraft. These planes play an important role in the operation of long-haul services for the airline, especially with the recent retirement of the 767-300. The 787 structure consists of approximately 50% composite material, with a 788 having an empty weight of 259,900 pounds (source: https://wileysaviation.com/how-much-does-a-787-weigh/ ). By comparison, an empty 767-300 weighs in at 195,000 pounds (source: Boeing 767-300 - Specifications - Technical Data / Description). Corrosion resistance, reduced fatigue, and lowered maintenance costs are among the benefits of the composite material; coincidentally the increased strength of the structure allows for a reduced in-flight cabin pressure and increased cabin air humidity, which are important advantages for passengers on long flights. It has been hard to make an apples-to-apples comparision of fuel cost numbers alone for the 787-8 v. the 767-300, because many airlines often talk about lower overall costs of the 787 in accounting terms (which includes things like maintenance, depreciation, insurance, etc.). However, from the research I have done, it appears that a 787-8 has about a 20% seat-mile cost advantage over the 767-300; the fuel trip cost is around 4-5% less for the 788. Thus, if airlines can fill the 15 or so additional seats of the 787, it will produce a significant per-passenger cost reduction.

This first view shows an American Airlines 787-8 departing from gate C-10. The airplane replaces the 767-300 that had been used on the Dallas route. In the background, another AA 788 arrives on runway 28, inbound from JFK.

The inbound from New York takes its place at Gate B-6:

Later on in the evening, the flight to New York turns onto runway 10. . . .

. . . and takes to the sky on its return to the big apple:

In this view, a 787-9 from Los Angeles is prepared for its departure at Gate C-10, while the smaller 787-8 takes off in the background for Chicago:

The overhead view shows the impressive wingspan of the 787!

Almost ready to go!

The 789 back-taxis down the runway, while a tall ship sails by in the background:

Finally, whooshing down the runway, the American Airlines 787-9 takes off on its return voyage to Los Angeles!

Last edited by uncle beat; 05-05-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:44 AM   #218
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

American Airlines is the top of world airlines and, it seems, it is also one of the most important operators of San Ysidro!
Great pics and comments.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #219
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Fantastic update Pete - it's wonderful to see all of these American B777's at San Ysidro! The new livery birds look great, but then the polished bird from LAX arrived All I can say is wow - those polished B777's with the big 'AA' logo on the tail looked magnificent. Definitely one of my favorite aircraft-livery combinations of all-time.

Thanks for posting!

- Cal.
I have the same feelings for these birds as you do! Nothing was more emblematic of American Airlines than their great AA tail and also the eagle. Thanks for following the thread! Soon I will have other airline anthologies, but first I must finish with all of the models in the AA novela!!
Pete
Old 05-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #220
Senior Captain

Quote:
That Pink Ribbon 777 was such a good livery, and so was Delta's 767-400 in all pink. Too bad they're both gone, but we still have the gorgeous models and pictures provided by you Pete!
I know exactly what you mean! In many ways we collectors are the ones preserving this great slice of history. Long after the real planes are gone, their memories live on in our collections
Pete
Old 05-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #221
Student pilot

Malefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dogMalefiska is a top dog

Wow I've missed that thread. The tropical atmosphère is amazing. That is so cool !! Well done !
Old 05-06-2020, 05:05 PM   #222
Admin

The shot with the AA A319 and 787 side by side at the gate is great Pete, really shows the difference between the sleek looking A319 sharklets and the elegant 787!

Old 05-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #223
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
American Airlines is the top of world airlines and, it seems, it is also one of the most important operators of San Ysidro!
Great pics and comments.

Always so good to get appreciation from you, one of our truly great model makers. Thank-you so much for following the thread! Indeed, American Airlines is definitely the major player at this airport, with their One World partner Iberia in second place.
Pete
Old 05-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #224
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefiska View Post
Wow I've missed that thread. The tropical atmosphère is amazing. That is so cool !! Well done !

Thank-you very much! If you get the chance, look over the other parts of this thread--a bunch of good surprises are packed in here, along with the airplanes! Soon, I will be shifting gears within this thread, and begin more posts of the second island airport in the MAGIC trilogy, the island of Dromedarius, which is less tropical and more desert-like, a la Lanzarote in the Canary Islands (with a touch of Cape Town and Cartagena thrown in to mix things up!).
Stay tuned!! Pete
Old 05-06-2020, 06:44 PM   #225
Senior Captain

Quote:
The shot with the AA A319 and 787 side by side at the gate is great Pete, really shows the difference between the sleek looking A319 sharklets and the elegant 787!

Thank-you for the complement on that shot! The A319 does look good alongside the 789--a fusion of the sporty (Airbus) and the athletic (789). I have to say, regarding the A319, it is a plane that seems to look great in the livery of EVERY airline. As I was putting together this photo essay of American Airlines, I couldn't believe the nearly complete scope of AA aircraft provided in our 1:500 scale--many thanks to Herpa for gradually assembling such a comprehensive collection of American Airlines planes. I think our dioramas really look great when we have multiple types to be displayed (P.S.--to Herpa: it would be great for you guys to do a new color AA A320, but with the OLD fenced wingtips as seen on so many of their ex-U.S.Air planes//this model would be a sell-out!!). As it is, I need one or two more installments just to finish up the American Airlines anthology!
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: