MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 14 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-20-2020, 05:05 PM   #196
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

A great display of American Airlines aircraft here Pete! As many others have said, the bare metal scheme is also a favourite of mine - it looked so good on so many types. Your various American B757-200's are all stunning - it's such a shame that these are heading off to retirement early. If you have an American A321NEO, you could do an updated 'Old, Newer, Newest' photo showing the evolution from the B727, to the B757, to the A321NEO!

Thanks for sharing!

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #197
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by United 752 View Post
I love all the old AA metal, I'm fortunate enough to have a old AA 757, and it's one of the masterpieces of my collection. As always, beautiful scenery and lighting, and it's great seeing my A321 there, seems it has found a loving home!

Thank-you for the compliments! I think the AA planes lend themselves to tropical scenery; indeed the A321 custom you made for me is a treasure and finds itself alternating between gates B-6 and C-10 on a regular basis! I have not put it away in storage since getting it, and it will look quite at home alongside the A321 Neos that will (eventually!) come
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #198
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Bare metal was one of my favourite American Airlines livery, your hommage did it justice Pete!

Thank-you for following along! The AA bare metals were really long-time favorites of mine also, and I was at first upset when the company changed liveries. Of course, time marches on and I have grown to love the new colors as well, but the metal finishes are timeless and classical.
Pete

Old 04-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #199
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
A great display of American Airlines aircraft here Pete! As many others have said, the bare metal scheme is also a favourite of mine - it looked so good on so many types. Your various American B757-200's are all stunning - it's such a shame that these are heading off to retirement early. If you have an American A321NEO, you could do an updated 'Old, Newer, Newest' photo showing the evolution from the B727, to the B757, to the A321NEO!

Thanks for sharing!

- Cal.

Your idea of an 'evolutionary' photo shoot is a good one and I'll have to do it! Wish that we could get our hands on the AA A321 Neos soon. I'm going to miss the American Airlines 757-200, having enjoyed sitting at the window seat so many times and experiencing their rocket-like take-offs. I also long for the sound of the engines from the ground, which I would hear on a regular basis while bathing in the swimming pool back when I lived on Miami Beach. Such a charismatic airplane
Thank-you for following along--I appreciate your patronage and comments. Stay tuned for the continuation of the AA anthology!
Pete
Old 04-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #200
Senior Captain

American Airlines Fleet at San Ysidro

The REALLY old days! In this “Blast From The Past” installment are several views circa 1966 showing a bunch of old-liveried American Airlines aircraft at San Ysidro during a particularly dramatic afternoon.

First of all, a Convair 990 pulls up sharply in a go-around/aborted landing maneuver, whilst a BAC-111 and B-707 wait their turns for take-off clearance:

The ferocious-looking AA Convair downwind from runway 10 as it returns for a second try at landing; the DC-6 that was blocking the runway should be fully off the runway by then!

The shiny, bare-metal colors of American Airlines look particularly beautiful over tropical blue waters:

Meanwhile, the offending AA DC-6 slowly makes its way off the runway, while two others gather at the hangar for maintenance:

With the Convair safely on the ground, it is MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-25-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #201
Senior Captain

T-Tail Tales:

American Airlines operated a variety of T-Tail aircraft beginning in the 1960’s. The T-Tail, when combined with aft-fuselage-mounted engines, provided the advantage of a quieter aircraft interior for passengers; the added runway clearance of the engines gave protection from foreign object ingestion.
The first photo shows two Boeing 727-200 airplanes in the American Airlines ‘Astrojet’ motif. The flight from New York is waiting to take off, whilst the one-stop service from Chicago via Boston comes in (albeit slightly high on approach) for landing on runway 10:

The New York flight settles in to Gate C-10, while the interisland shuttle to Dromedarius (a BAC-111 operation) is readied for departure at Gate C-9:

The American Airlines BAC-111 had a sports-car quality, with the sense of speed and motion enhanced by the signature ‘Lightning Bolt’ of the Astrojet livery. Here a beautiful example enters the turning circle after its back-taxi:

An AA BAC-111 applies full power as it takes off for Dromedarius:

From 1968 to 2013, American Airlines applied its iconic ‘Red, White, and Blue’ color scheme to its airliners, seen here following an afternoon rainstorm at Gates B-6 and B-7 on two 727-200 examples:

Prior to the collapse of Eastern Airlines and Pan Am, aside from its dominant position on the interisland shuttle route, American Airlines’ presence at San Ysidro was modest, with just 2-3 daily flights to the mainland. In the summer, they were covered by 727-200 aircraft—one is seen landing on runway 28:

The Fokker 100 joined the American Airlines fleet in 1991, and quickly found a niche on the Dromedarius shuttle route. In this view, a Fokker pushes back from Gate A-2 at San Ysidro as a fierce thunderstorm gathers strength east of the island:

A real superstar in its own right, the MD-80 reached an all-time fleet strength of some 362 examples with American Airlines. Two are seen here, at Gate B-7 and B-8, just beyond the PA 747 SP, as a 727-200 taxis in the background:

An MD-80 departs for Miami, being pushed back from Gate B-6:

This aerial view emphasizes the popularity of the MD-80 with American Airlines at San Ysidro. Perfect for off-season operations, AA flew FOUR daily flights with this aircraft type in September, 2005:

Looking like a downsized, tropical version of DFW circa late 1990's, rush hour at San Ysidro on this date sports a lineup of four MD-80s waiting to depart:

Photogenic as ever despite the sad occasion, this AA MD-80 takes off on the final American Airlines 'Mad Dog' flight from San Ysidro:

Old 04-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #202
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Great to see all of these American T-Tails in operation at San Ysidro from years past Pete! The polished AA B727 on finals makes for quite a spectacular scene! Nice to see the AA Mad-Dogs again too.

Thanks for posting.

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #203
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Great to see all of these American T-Tails in operation at San Ysidro from years past Pete! The polished AA B727 on finals makes for quite a spectacular scene! Nice to see the AA Mad-Dogs again too.

Thanks for posting.

- Cal.
Thank-you for following along! Indeed, commercial aviation's recent past was a celebration of a hugely diverse collection of aircraft types and airline liveries, and the T-Tails were definitely show-stoppers in their own right. Even though all of the American Airlines examples have been retired, I think they make for great photographic subject matter here in the model airports forum

Next up: Stay tuned for American Airlines' Widebodies
Pete
Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 AM   #204
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Great stuff Pete, your colourful photo-work is brightening up the thread!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #205
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Another cool update....more of this.

Blast from the past is always so cool seeing all these old Thunderbirds....

Pete, one question. How did you do your lighting ? Seen you used something like Christmas tree Lights, but how did you get them in coloured ?
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:50 AM   #206
Senior Captain

Quote:
Great stuff Pete, your colourful photo-work is brightening up the thread!

Thank-you! The positive feedback gives encouragement to do more. There should be some more colorful stuff coming today--I am taking the day off from the clinicPete
Old 04-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #207
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Another cool update....more of this.

Blast from the past is always so cool seeing all these old Thunderbirds....

Pete, one question. How did you do your lighting ? Seen you used something like Christmas tree Lights, but how did you get them in coloured ?

Thanks for the appreciation--I'm looking forward to adding more content, both old and new planes (it seems the historical models like to get out for some fresh air, too).

Regarding the colored lighting, it actually takes two sets of lights, one that is "warm white" that serves as the baseline, and a second colored set, whose colored plastic reflectors serve as the donors for any needed colored lighting. Only the colored top (reflector) portion is used, not the whole bulb. The plastic reflectors can be pulled out albeit with a little force, from the base of the bulb, and then where needed, I substitute the colored reflectors for the plain clear ones. A heads up: I am very cautious NOT to mix the actual bulbs between sets, because even though there may be a stated equivalency in terms of voltage/wattage, I have unfortunately blown out entire strings of lights in the past by mixing bulbs between colored and white light sets.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #208
Senior Captain

The Boeing Big Boys:

American Airlines has operated the full assortment of Boeing wide-body jets over the years. Beginning with the smallest, the 767 was a true workhorse for the airline, with a total of over 100 examples having flown for American over the years. Unfortunately for airplane enthusiasts, the retirement date for these planes has been moved up in light of the current Covid-19 situation.

The first photo shows three Boeing 767-300 airplanes in the most recent American Airlines motif; the 763 was ideal for use at San Ysidro for the relatively long-distance flights to Dallas during busy periods, as well as to New York and Chicago depending on demand. The flight bound for New York has just left Gate C-10 and is taxiing to runway 10 for its take off, whilst the service from Chicago has immediately taken its place at C-10. Meanwhile, the American 767-300 flight to DFW lifts off from runway 10 in the background:

Later on in the early evening, the Chicago flight is now departing and is pushed back from Gate C-10:

The 767-300 completes its taxi down to the threshold of runway 10. . . .

. . . . and just a minute later the 763 roars down the runway on take-off:

Here, the AA 767-300 is seen again, this time in 'One World' colors, arriving from Los Angeles:

“Out with the old, and in with the new.” American Airlines began phasing in its most recent livery in 2013, which meant that in service, there was considerable overlap of both new and old colors for several years. In this photo, an AA 767-300 in the new colors taxis towards its parking position, while in the distance an AA 763 in the erstwhile ‘red, white, and blue’ format takes off for Philadelphia:

A pre- and post-winglet comparison is made between these two American Airlines 767-300’s. The devices can save 5% or more on fuel costs per airplane:

Two early (pre-winglet) American Airlines 767-300 planes at San Ysidro. The departing aircraft is bound for DFW, while the inbound flight is an arriving JFK service:

An American Airlines 763 takes to the skies from runway 10, bound for the United States:

The New York flight, operated on this date by an old-school 767-200, settles in to Gate C-10 on a summer’s evening back in 1983:

In this installment’s ‘Blast from the Past,’ a rare view of an American Airlines 747-100 making a practice go-around/aborted take-off maneuver at San Ysidro. The plane simply had too much passenger capacity to make economic sense in AA’s early 1970’s fleet:

Even stranger yet is this AA 747-SP landing at San Ysidro, used for additional uplift during a busy Christmas holiday period:

Old 04-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #209
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The 767s look stunning Pete, you sure own a lot of 'em! American's bare metal livery on the 747 and 767 is iconic, and while I think their new livery is clean, it's not as good as bare metal!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #210
Senior Captain

Quote:
The 767s look stunning Pete, you sure own a lot of 'em! American's bare metal livery on the 747 and 767 is iconic, and while I think their new livery is clean, it's not as good as bare metal!

I totally agree--the look of the polished metal of AA is really beautiful. Although at this point I like their new colors, too, it took awhile for me to feel that way. By the way, I don't know if this is the case for other collectors, but the bare metal on my Starjets models has remained very bright and shiny over the years and these planes still look brand new, but the metal on the Herpas is acquiring quite a patina--looking dull in comparison to the Starjets. I would welcome any thoughts or comments! Thanks again for following along!
Pete

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: