MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 13 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #181
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I remember seeing that a few years back at a hobby shop in Germany. Wish I would have had the presence of mind to get one It was cool and could become a keepsake or maybe even a collector's item!

Here it is….once in a Lifetime Picture.

Btw, the Braniff Concorde flight never operated in BN Colours, only in AF or BA scheme.
Would have looked interesting, but feel same as for Sabena livery. Only mainly white liveries (not only technically, but from optical perspective) look great on this bird.

Rare model the BN...who is the maker ?
Attached Thumbnails
MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis-six_parked_concordes_photo_british_airways.jpg  
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #182
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Amazing fleet of Concorde's you have there Pete, you must have a model of this aircraft in almost every livery it ever flew with? The Landor and Union Flag liveries have always been my favourites, so it's nice to see both of those represented! I think it would be fantastic if one of the museum Concorde's could be repainted into the Landor livery - I can see why British Airways would want them to stay in the current livery though...

- Cal.

New York Metropolitan International Airport
Models from my collection FOR SALE on eBay.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #183
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The Pepsi concorde is a fun and unique model, I kinda like the advertisement they made out of the Concorde

Concorde looks great, downright exotic, in that dark blue. It is crazy to think that such an advertising budget existed. At any rate, it makes the marketing campaign for the McDonald's MD-80 seem cheap
Thanks for following along, more is yet to come.
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-15-2020 at 06:47 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #184
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Here it is….once in a Lifetime Picture.

Btw, the Braniff Concorde flight never operated in BN Colours, only in AF or BA scheme.
Would have looked interesting, but feel same as for Sabena livery. Only mainly white liveries (not only technically, but from optical perspective) look great on this bird.

Rare model the BN...who is the maker ?

Thanks for the memories with that calendar photograph! Nostalgia runs deep in this hobby. I agree it is too bad that the Braniff service was never actually operated in the BN scheme, instead retaining the respective AF/BA colors, because the hypothetical "Ultra" livery (created as part of an overall re-branding with designer Halsted) as shown in the 1:500 Herpa Concorde model is breathtaking. It is funny how really good marketing can create a permanent memory. I flew Braniff from Acapulco to Dallas to Chicago in 1979, and still vividly remember the food, service, and plane colors (one was the Ultra Dark Blue 727-200, and the other the old lime green 727-100 and was served a dinner of trout amandine with wild rice)!! Here, I share a view of Concorde partnered with Braniff's "Great Pumpkin" 747:

Old 04-15-2020, 12:06 PM   #185
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Thanks for the memories with that calendar photograph! Nostalgia runs deep in this hobby. I agree it is too bad that the Braniff service was never actually operated in the BN scheme, instead retaining the respective AF/BA colors, because the hypothetical "Ultra" livery (created as part of an overall re-branding with designer Halsted) as shown in the 1:500 Herpa Concorde model is breathtaking. It is funny how really good marketing can create a permanent memory. I flew Braniff from Acapulco to Dallas to Chicago in 1979, and still vividly remember the food, service, and plane colors (one was the Ultra Dark Blue 727-200, and the other the old lime green 727-100 and was served a dinner of trout amandine with wild rice)!! Here, I share a view of Concorde partnered with Braniff's "Great Pumpkin" 747:

You are so right on that, Pete. Whenever I go and visit my "Aeronautical Shrine" it is Always a fond journey into the past….it still amazes me, what Kind of Goodies you were getting back those days. Very much connected and linked also to Marketing as you say. Still remembering how I got Schabak models from SIA, when they invented the Mega Top, T Shirts from British Airways in Landor style, Koalas from Qantas, Golf Pins from TAP with their logo on it and so much more exotic Goodies. Same also what you say with liveries...People will remember BN for this unconventional livery style, regardless whether it was the Orange one or the ones you flew on or Calder.

Nice pic. Let the 1970/80ies pics flow, those were the days ! No plastic jets, smoke Trails and rumbling thunder in your stomach when one of the beasts like Concorde, BAC 1-141 or Caravelle thundered down the runway.
Nothing for the environmentalist pussies of today
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #186
Senior Captain

Some New Arrivals:

Arriving in the mail yesterday were these four beauties—I had to share them with you guys!

First of all, another sporty-looking British Airways A320 Neo, seen here exiting runway 10/28 at San Ysidro:

Next up is one of a pair of Aer Lingus A320s in their new colors, shown taxiing to Gate B-8 in this picture:

The Aer Lingus arrival has parked at Gate B-8, next to its twin sister:

Finally, another fine example of the Queen of the Skies, this OneWorld 747-400 is absolutely majestic, seen on SYX runway 10 (I flew this exact bird Jo'Berg-LHR last summer!):

Old 04-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #187
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Congrats on your purchases Pete! The OneWorld livery suits the BA 747, I'm glad they chose the Queen to bare this livery!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:01 AM   #188
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Congrats on your purchases Pete! The OneWorld livery suits the BA 747, I'm glad they chose the Queen to bare this livery!

No question, she carries it well! I particularly like having models of planes that I have flown on, and this one fills the bill (MIA-LHR and JNB-LHR)!
P.S. starting another anthology this weekend. . . .possibly A.A. which is a huge part of the collection

Pete
Old 04-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #189
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
You are so right on that, Pete. Whenever I go and visit my "Aeronautical Shrine" it is Always a fond journey into the past….it still amazes me, what Kind of Goodies you were getting back those days. Very much connected and linked also to Marketing as you say. Still remembering how I got Schabak models from SIA, when they invented the Mega Top, T Shirts from British Airways in Landor style, Koalas from Qantas, Golf Pins from TAP with their logo on it and so much more exotic Goodies. Same also what you say with liveries...People will remember BN for this unconventional livery style, regardless whether it was the Orange one or the ones you flew on or Calder.

Nice pic. Let the 1970/80ies pics flow, those were the days ! No plastic jets, smoke Trails and rumbling thunder in your stomach when one of the beasts like Concorde, BAC 1-141 or Caravelle thundered down the runway.
Nothing for the environmentalist pussies of today

I love your comments, and couldn't agree more! Back in the day there was TRUE competition beyond just for low prices, and the carriers went all out to woo passengers. You only see this in business/first class nowadays, which to be honest, except for the lie-flat seat, is almost the equivalent of 1970's coach/economy when it comes to service, food, drink, and other amenities. And, now the U.S. carriers are starting to scrimp on domestic first class--American Airlines in particular is starting to roll out its modest 35"-36" first class pitch. Ugh Why does AA hate its passengers so much?? Hard for people in the Miami catchment area, since no one else covers the market like they do. Such is "progress"
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-17-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #190
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Not only Air France Concorde "Pepsi" or "McDonald's" MD-80, but the two Alitalia B747's "Bulgari" and "Baci Perugina", almost all Braniff fleet with the DC-8 "Calder" and i would continue for a page...
It was another era, something of exciting and airlines were proud to share their special liveries, their logo, their flagships (like Concorde and B747).
Today everything is grey...
Thanks for sharing my friend, beautiful update.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime, Montenegro Airlines...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #191
Senior Captain

Narrowbodied American Airlines Fleet at San Ysidro

American Airlines is the dominant carrier at San Ysidro International Airport, with as many as 40 daily departures. While there are some wide-body AA services, the passenger demands and stage lengths of most routes, as well as the physical limitations of the airport itself (including mostly narrow gate configurations and the back-taxi situation) favor the use of narrow-bodied planes. As such, the next few posts of this thread will feature the narrow-bodied American Airlines planes serving SYX. Enjoy!

The 737-800:
American Airlines operates numerous daily Boeing 737-800 flights to San Ysidro. This first view shows a recently-arrived AA 738 from Charlotte, being assisted to Gate B-8 by a tug. In the background another American 737-800 is landing, just in from Philly:

The early evening Charlotte and Philadelphia flights, at Gates B-8 and B-7 respectfully, are midway through their pre-departure formalities:

Last of tonight’s 737-800 arrivals is this American Airlines flight from Miami, seen turning off of runway 28:

The Miami flight is towed into the tight parking space at Gate B-4:

This aerial view of the busy San Ysidro Satellite Concourse shows all three 738’s at Gates B-4, B-7, and B-8, alongside their 757 and A321 stable mates:

Preparations are being completed for the Charlotte and Philadelphia flights as seen from the control tower; the front starboard door has closed and the airstairs have already been moved back slightly from the Charlotte flight:

Night falls, and the evening AA 737-800 flight to Miami will back up once the luggage carts drive past:

There is a 7:00 p.m. rush hour at San Ysidro, with the trio of American Airlines 737-800 departures seen here, bound for Phildaelphia, Charlotte, and Miami:

“Last in, last out.” The final AA 738 departure this evening is the Miami flight, seen entering the turnaround after completing its back-taxi:

Another perspective of this sporty-looking Boeing as it prepares to turn around and then take off, from Runway 28:

American Airlines presented some hybrid/retro color schemes on their 737-800 airplanes as a tribute to the constituent airlines that became a part of the company in recent years. One such example is this 738 painted in the TWA livery, while the original (as applied to the 767-300) is seen landing on runway 28:

American Airlines has a 300+ strong fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft. The addition of winglets to these airplanes increased fuel efficiency by some 3-4%. This view of several of the updated (but old-color) 737-800 aircraft shows the wings from different perspectives:

The old-livery trio of 737-800s, looking rather sparkly with their bare-metal finish, taxi to the end of runway 10 for their departures:

Pre-winglet days, here is a view of a delivery-color American Airlines 737-800. The 738 is a valuable member of the fleet, giving an improvement of 35% lower seat mile costs over the (now-retired) MD-80:

Finally, in a “Blast From The Past,” an old-liveried American Airlines B-707 goes tail-to-tail with a B-737-800 painted in retro colors:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-18-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #192
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Not only Air France Concorde "Pepsi" or "McDonald's" MD-80, but the two Alitalia B747's "Bulgari" and "Baci Perugina", almost all Braniff fleet with the DC-8 "Calder" and i would continue for a page...
It was another era, something of exciting and airlines were proud to share their special liveries, their logo, their flagships (like Concorde and B747).
Today everything is grey...
Thanks for sharing my friend, beautiful update.

I agree, the past times offered a lot to aviation fans like us. I have enjoyed all of the different phases aviation has gone through during my lifetime of travel, and I look forward to being able to fly again!
Pete
Old 04-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #193
Senior Captain

American Airlines Fleet at San Ysidro

The American Airlines 757-200:
American Airlines operates several daily Boeing 757-200 flights to San Ysidro. Due to the ‘long legs’ of this aircraft, it is ideal for the slow season on longer routes that are otherwise flown by AA wide-bodied planes during peak travel months, such as Dallas-Fort Worth and Chicago. It is also found flying between the island and JFK, and was even used to Phoenix (an old USAir service) before that route was cancelled!

This first view shows a recently-arrived AA 752 from Chicago-O’Hare, being assisted to Gate C-10 by a tug and showing off its impressive wingspan and winglets:

While a summer thunderstorm threatens, the late afternoon American 757 flight to Dallas-Fort Worth is prepared for departure from Gate B-6, while in the background an inbound AA 757-200 from Charlotte (an equipment substitution from the usual 738) taxis to its gate:

Mid-afternoon American 752 arrival from JFK, seen turning off of runway 28:

An American 757 climbs out after departing runway 10, and immediately begins its turn to the northwest to avoid a typical late-afternoon thunderstorm forming in the distance:

The Satellite Concourse can hold two B-757-200 aircraft at a time, as shown by these two polished metal old color AA beauties at Gates B-5 and B-6:

The two AA 757’s await their turn for take off, while an old-school 727-200 lands on runway 10. By comparison, a 757 uses at least 250 gallons of fuel LESS per hour than the 727-200; given that jet fuel is one of the largest expenses for an airline, such savings really add up across a large fleet!

Going nose-to-nose, the 727-200 abuts its replacement, the 757-200. I think the extraordinary performance of the 752 surprised many. What had initially been intended as a 727 substitute, namely a mid-range, transcontinental (U.S.) airplane, was tweaked to efficiently fly certain trans-Atlantic and mid-South American routes while carrying more passengers in the process. This shows what an advanced wing and engines can do! Yayy for Boeing!

Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #194
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

I love all the old AA metal, I'm fortunate enough to have a old AA 757, and it's one of the masterpieces of my collection. As always, beautiful scenery and lighting, and it's great seeing my A321 there, seems it has found a loving home!
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:10 PM   #195
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Bare metal was one of my favourite American Airlines livery, your hommage did it justice Pete!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: