MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 11 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #151
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Hi Cal, I totally agree!
The up-and-over stripes give the MD-80 a really sporty look, almost like a race car. I can't express enough, how much I miss that plane--a modern-day workhorse and great to fly on, too!! The final Iberia installment will surely have some more tempting McDonnell Douglas aircraft--stay tuned. I really appreciate all of the feedback, it makes me happy to hear the positive comments and pushes me to do more!
Pete
I completely agree, the MD-80 series was a great workhorse for many years with many carriers all around the world. Itís a shame that the MD-80 series didnít continue as the B717 for longer.

Anyway, you werenít wrong about me enjoying your latest set of photoís Pete - itís great to see all of these T-Tail aircraft in action once more. The first photo of the Iberia B727 is stunning, youíve done a great job of capturing the atmosphere of this scene. I know this was an Iberia-themed update, but how can I not mention that beautiful polished chrome American B727 - what a highlight!

Thanks as always for sharing!

- Cal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #152
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
I completely agree, the MD-80 series was a great workhorse for many years with many carriers all around the world. It’s a shame that the MD-80 series didn’t continue as the B717 for longer.

Anyway, you weren’t wrong about me enjoying your latest set of photo’s Pete - it’s great to see all of these T-Tail aircraft in action once more. The first photo of the Iberia B727 is stunning, you’ve done a great job of capturing the atmosphere of this scene. I know this was an Iberia-themed update, but how can I not mention that beautiful polished chrome American B727 - what a highlight!

Thanks as always for sharing!

- Cal.

Thank-you for your compliments, Cal. I miss spotting those wonderful birds, and I think it does justice to their faithful service by having included them in this thread.

By the way, the next section should be of interest to many enthusiasts here on the forum--the anthology for British Airways, "The World's Favorite Airline!"

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-08-2020 at 05:45 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #153
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Well, with some more A321XLR San Ysidro - Lanzarote route is no more a dream...8.700 km of range could be enough!
For example you could add Arkia (three A321LR's produced by Herpa) and, when Herpa will realize it, Aer Lingus A321LR.
Just an idea.

You are right--this airport is ideal for A321LR operations. SYX is just the right distance from the U.S. and Europe, and certainly would benefit from more frequencies with smaller planes (plus I love the A321--a superb passenger experience as well!). Maybe Herpa will bestow many A321s on our 1:500 scale--this would make me happy.

Pete

Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #154
RJ Second Officer

United 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributorUnited 752 is a good contributor

Those 727s look ravishing, it's a shame that I'm too young to ever have flown one. The metal AA livery...stunning!
United 752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #155
Senior Captain

British Airways Anthology: Paying Homage to One of the World’s Premiere Airlines
British Airways is without dispute one of the best-known brands from the United Kingdom, and proudly carries the flag to destinations across the globe. This anthology will focus on BA’s operations to the island of San Ysidro, both past and present, and as such will highlight the diversity of airplanes and liveries that have graced the fleet over the years. Enjoy!

In this first view, a Boeing 747-400 in the current “Union Jack” color scheme lifts off from runway 28 in the early evening, on its return flight to London Heathrow:

Earlier in the day, this same aircraft is seen just as it touches down on runway 10:

The BA 747-400 parked at Gate C-10. The nose of the “Queen of the Skies” peaks over the fence inquisitively, as if to survey the day-to-day activities on the roadway and adjacent town:

British Airways flies the 744 daily to SYX during the peak summer season, making it the largest passenger airplane to visit the island on a regular basis. Due to its wingspan, no other airplanes are allowed to be present on taxiway “A” while a 747 is landing or taking off. The size of the 747-400 is apparent in this view, showing the tight fit at the gate:

BA 747 “Blasts from the Past:”
British flew the “Landor” color scheme from the mid 1980’s through the late 90’s. Resplendent in this livery, a BA 747-200 is seen at the gate, as last-minute preparations for the SYX-LHR flight are completed:

All ground equipment has been cleared out of the way as the Landor BA 742 is pushed back:

Finally, it is wheels up for this British beauty as she lifts off from runway 10:

British Airways’ “Negus” colors as applied to the 747-100, this example seen just after pushback from the gate:

View from the control tower as the return flight to London takes off from San Ysidro’s runway 10:

Finally, a straight-on perspective immediately upon take-off on another trans-Atlantic journey for this British Airways 747-100 as it heads back home:

Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #156
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Aer Lingus would be great here with their clean looking A321neo, Pete!

Those Iberia MD80 series do give me another unusual vibe; I remember seeing photos of them being stored somewhere in Spain (VLC? MAD?) all together, and your overview made me think of that (because that's what I assume when I see a large amount of IB MD80s lol)

I'm hoping for an Aer Lingus A321 neo from Herpa in 1:500--indeed, that aircraft fits the DUB-SYX distance and passenger load profile perfectly! Regarding the parked MD80s, I've seen them at MAD, too. Extreme nostalgia for me when I see those lovelies!!
Pete
Old 04-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #157
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by United 752 View Post
Those 727s look ravishing, it's a shame that I'm too young to ever have flown one. The metal AA livery...stunning!

You would have loved the flying experience on the 727! It was such a sad day for me when AA retired their 727s. American used these planes extensively on their newly-acquired Caribbean routes after Eastern Airlines collapsed, so for those of us in Florida, they were synonymous with vacation travel to the islands south of here. The 727-200 suspension was soft and the rear-mounted engines were quiet, such that it felt like you were riding in a big old Cadillac as you taxied to and from the runway. More memories--we'll have to be the custodians of aviation history here on Wings900
Pete
Old 04-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #158
Captain

Speedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobbySpeedbird 001 is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
You would have loved the flying experience on the 727! It was such a sad day for me when AA retired their 727s. American used these planes extensively on their newly-acquired Caribbean routes after Eastern Airlines collapsed, so for those of us in Florida, they were synonymous with vacation travel to the islands south of here. The 727-200 suspension was soft and the rear-mounted engines were quiet, such that it felt like you were riding in a big old Cadillac as you taxied to and from the runway. More memories--we'll have to be the custodians of aviation history here on Wings900
Pete

Agree Pete, it was a smooth and silent ride on this plane (less silent for the outside world of course)

Man, I love this BA Landor 747-200....unfortunately this Little Beauty is difficult to get hold off.

I especially like your parking Position which is behind the wall...really cool. Also the Combination of planes you do, like the BOAC / Negus mix and the BWIA 707.
The Alitalia A300 is custom made by you ?
Speedbird 001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #159
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird 001 View Post
Agree Pete, it was a smooth and silent ride on this plane (less silent for the outside world of course)

Man, I love this BA Landor 747-200....unfortunately this Little Beauty is difficult to get hold off.

I especially like your parking Position which is behind the wall...really cool. Also the Combination of planes you do, like the BOAC / Negus mix and the BWIA 707.
The Alitalia A300 is custom made by you ?

Thank-you for the compliments--I try to make the airplane action in the background be relevant to the era of the featured subject model. Since it is hard to display some of the more esoteric planes in my collection, I'll throw in one or two oddballs on occasion, like the BWIA 707 With regards to the Alitalia A300, this is a custom made by member Anglojet--quite a superb rendition of that plane, and a custom was indicated since Herpa will probably never make one in our scale. I have one other custom model, the AA A321 made by member United 752 (which in its own right has already made numerous cameo appearances in this thread and has taken up semi-permanent residence at Gate B-6!). These two customs are among my most prized models! BTW, I wish I could find out more about how to make customs--I would like to try my hand at this so I could complete my personal wish list, which contains many models that most likely will not be produced in our 1:500 scale.

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-09-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #160
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Homzie will love these speedbird 747s Pete!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #161
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

One of the last British Airways Queen flights? Noooo, this amazing airport will handle Queens for many years...
Thanks for sharing Pete.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #162
Senior Captain

British Airways Anthology Continues: The “Negus” Years
For the most part, airline color schemes are the culmination of extensive graphic design and marketing endeavors, arrived at in an extremely calculated fashion, so as to represent the brand in the most flattering manner possible. The British Airways “Negus” livery (1973-1984) is a stellar example of this. These colors were unveiled as part of the rollout of BA in 1974, the air carrier resulting from the amalgamation of BOAC and BEA. Created by the graphic design firm Negus & Negus, this livery incorporated elements from the two component airlines: the Speedbird logo near the cockpit was a direct carryover from the former BOAC, while the stylized Union Jack on the tail paid homage (at least metaphorically) to the erstwhile BEA. Tied together by a white fuselage ‘crown’ and a dark blue underbelly, the British Airways Negus scheme was thus born. This section of the British Airways anthology covers the airplanes decorated with the Negus livery.

To begin, a busy ‘shoulder’ season for British Airways is underway at San Ysidro, with THREE BA L-1011 airplanes present simultaneously. An L-1011 -250 takes to the sky from runway 28 operating the early afternoon flight to Heathrow, while two more Tri-Stars taxi to their respective gates after landing:

The departing London flight circles around for its eastbound journey, making a thrilling scenic pass over the island before climbing to altitude:

The short-fuselaged L-1011-500, parked at Gate B-5, will operate the service to Manchester later this evening, while the longer L-1011-250 sitting over at Gate B-6 will fly back to LHR tonight:

A Hawker-Siddely Trident in final BEA colors lands on runway 10 at San Ysidro:

After landing, the Trident enters the turning circle to back-taxi en-route to the paint shop:

The Trident joins the queue for repainting; one of its sisters is wearing the interim BA-BEA color scheme (with British Airways titles) as the new airline is born:

Like a group of excited children waiting their turn to visit Santa Claus, these three “Baby-BA’s”—two 737-200s and a Viscount-- await the finishing touches on their new paint jobs outside the hanger at SYX:

This Vickers Viscount, looking quite smart with its new Negus livery, flies ”low and slow” over a sailboat at the southern end of the San Ysidro archipelago on a little sightseeing journey, before making its ferry flight back to the United Kingdom. Exhilarating for the flight crew as well as the sailors below!

The BAC-111 was considered for possible use on the Gatwick-San Ysidro run during the slow season. It is seen here during route proving trials as it enters the turnaround:

The -111 after taking off from runway 28. It was found that the range was marginal for the headwinds encountered west-bound, so the airplane never saw regular commercial service to the island:

Here is a British Airways VC-10 configured for a greaser landing on San Ysidro’s runway 10:

The VC-10 leaves the runway and taxis to the gate:

This British Airways 707-365-C, resplendent in the Negus colors, is a perfect example of how a good livery can seem fresh and relevant, nearly 50 years after being introduced:

In a “Blast From The Past,” a BEA Comet 4-B leaves runway 10/28, with its four engines growling. The aircraft is rather aggressive and ferocious-looking in this straight-on view:

Finally, a profile of the Comet 4-B, heading for Gate B-7. Somehow, the engines integrated at the fuselage/wing junction give the airplane a spacecraft look:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-11-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #163
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

The red wings on the Trident are an amazing detail! The VC-10 also looks very sharp with the red horizontal tailplane!
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #164
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The red wings on the Trident are an amazing detail! The VC-10 also looks very sharp with the red horizontal tailplane!

I totally agree! The 1970's were a turning point for society in general--truly revolutionary especially in the fields of music, fashion, industrial design, architecture, and social norms, and places like London were at the forefront of all the modern trends. It is thus not surprising to see these beautiful planes coming out of the U.K., and because the graphics were so spot on, the look is timeless and they are as pleasing to the eye today as they were 50 years ago! Thanks for following along in my thread; I appreciate all of the positive input and comments!
Pete
Old 04-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #165
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
One of the last British Airways Queen flights? Noooo, this amazing airport will handle Queens for many years...
Thanks for sharing Pete.

I hope that BA does not fall into the trap of ceasing their 747-400 operations as a result of the current worldwide health situation. Although our planet may be rather slow to catch on to pressing issues including things like pandemics, climate change, the shifting of resources, overpopulation, etc., I think that large planes like the 747-8 and the A380 still have a role to play in rounding out the large-capacity end of an airline's fleet spectrum, not only as icons and flagships but as movers of large volumes of people and cargo in single flight operations. Although we mostly need 787s and A350s for point-to-point services and less-popular routes, as airports reach capacity, we may someday look back and say that the big boys were ahead of their time especially for use on high-volume trunk routes between large hubs! They have good economics when they fly full (which may be the real issue, as airlines seem to place the marketing charms of multiple frequencies above passenger comfort), but at some point in the future the need for capacity will return. No matter what, as I have mentioned above, we can continue to enjoy the 747 (and the A380) in the small scale at our model airports, and this hobby's function as custodians of the history of commercial aviation grows ever stronger.
Thanks again for following along, your support and kind words inspire and motivate

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-11-2020 at 06:48 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: