MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis - Page 10 - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #136
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby
Re: MAGIC: San Ysidro, Dromedarius, and St. Francis

Blasts From The Recent Past:” The Iberia Airlines Anthology Continues. . . .

Before the A330 joined the fleet, Iberia used the A340-300 on the nonstop Flagship route to Madrid. This picture shows an A340-300, in its 4-engine glory, at San Ysidro during the 2009 summer season. The A340 can be appreciated from this landside view through the fence along the departure roadway:

An early evening overview of the ramp several years later at San Ysidro. At the time of this photo, Iberia's fleet was in the midst of being repainted, with planes operating in both NC and OC. Here we see an A340-300 that is just about ready to start backing out from the gate:

An old-color A340-600, subbing for the A340-300 (special ops due to the extraordinary fuselage length of this version!!), as it turns onto runway 10:

A livery comparison: An Iberia A340 nose-to-nose with an Aerolineas Argentinas A340. What a delicious sight to behold-- !!! Buen Provecho !!!

The DC-10 was a long-haul mainstay at Iberia. In its final IB colors, this photo shows an Iberia DC-10 docked at Gate C-10, while in the background another IB “-10” takes off. Before the Vueling days, Iberia flew to both Madrid and Barcelona with these two DC-10’s from San Ysidro:

Earlier Iberia colors are shown on this DC-10 climbing sharply after take-off from runway 10, heading back to Spain on an early evening flight:

Next, a landside view of an Iberia 747-200 peaking over the fence while parked at Gate C-10, being prepared for its return to Madrid:

An airside perspective of the ‘queen of the skies’ on a bright summer day during its pre-flight servicing at SYX’ Gate C-10:

Finally, a picture of the Iberia 747-300 trundling down runway 28 as it takes off on return to Madrid. This flight was a substitution for the -200 in August 2004, with its retirement from Iberia approaching quickly (note: we flew on this one MAD-MIA that month, by the way!):

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-05-2020 at 10:02 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #137
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
The red and yellow does match the scenery as Cal described, its planes of course associated with routes to colorful South America. I too have a soft spot for the A340-600, a very elegant plane!

Thank-you for following along on my thread! I love Iberia Airlines, both past and present. Regarding their flights to South America, there used to be a very interesting interchange operation between Spain and Latin America, with connections occurring from large trans-Atlantic planes to smaller jets in Miami. There were traffic rights between MIA and these destinations, too, and in fact that is how I went to Costa Rica! At any rate, although that has all gone by the wayside, part of the next section of the Iberia Anthology will recognize this with an equivalent medium-haul fleet based on the island, doing essentially the same thing

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-05-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #138
Triple-7 Fan

Cal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobbyCal1736 is a legend of the hobby

Some more great photos from days past Pete! The already long Airbus A340-600 looked even longer wearing Iberia's striped livery. The Spanish Mad-Dog stole the show at the end though - the striped livery just worked so well on this airframe!

- Cal.
Cal1736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #139
Senior Captain

The Iberia Airlines Anthology Continues. . .

Much has already been written here about Iberia’s daily “Flagship” A330 operation flying between Madrid and San Ysidro. The equipment for the second daily flight varies according to seasonal passenger loads; during the busiest times, it is flown by another A330, but generally, an A321 is assigned to the route. In this first picture, the A321 at Gate B-5 in the foreground will be doing exactly that today:

Other Iberia routes include Madrid-Gran Canaria-San Ysidro and Madrid-Tenerife-San Ysidro. These two A320s, parked at Gates B-7 and B-8 at the Satellite Concourse, are operating the Canary Island flights today:

Are we in Spain, or San Ysidro? An overhead view of the Satellite Concourse at mid-day during the shoulder season: all gates are occupied by Iberia planes except for the AA B-737 at Gate B-4!

This Iberia Express A320 is seen only once a week, flying SYX-Lanzarote:

Later in the afternoon, the Satellite Concourse hums with activity as these four Iberia Airbus narrowbodies prepare for eastbound flights back to various Spanish points:

View from alongside the control tower: the two Iberia regional jets in the foreground operate on the MAGIC interisland shuttles to St. Francis and Dromedarius:

Disconnecting from the jetways at Gate C-10, this A321 will soon be bound for Madrid:

Finally, the IB A321 takes off on runway 10 for MAD:

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-06-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #140
RJ First Officer

Harry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dogHarry Pettersion is a top dog

Very beautiful photos of the Iberia fleet. I really like the Classic livery DC-10 taking off over the beach. What a breathtaking photo. The satellite terminal parking arrangement is interesting too.
Harry Pettersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #141
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

How many Iberia flights to your wonderful airport, a real Latin America super-hub.
Interesting also the point-to-point routes to the various Spanish holiday islands like Lanzarote.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #142
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

I didn't know you were so avid to Iberia models Pete, but they sure bring life to your diorama!

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:45 PM   #143
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Even San Ysidro would need the most important Latin America airlines narrowbodies: Volaris A320 family, Aerolineas Argentinas B737W, Aeromexico B737W, Interjet A320 family, LATAM Group A320 family, Copa B737W, Avianca Group A320 family...even this beautiful airport deserves all these models.
And, why not, some Canadian low cost airlines like Sunwing B737W, Swoop B737W, Air Canada Rouge A319, airlines and airplanes common views in the most important airports of the Caribbean and holiday destinations.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany, Niki-Laudamotion, JetTime...R.I.P.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #144
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pettersion View Post
Very beautiful photos of the Iberia fleet. I really like the Classic livery DC-10 taking off over the beach. What a breathtaking photo. The satellite terminal parking arrangement is interesting too.

Thank-you for the compliments! I have a lot of fun staging different take-off and landing views for the airport, as well as arranging airplanes around the gates. Having the daytime/nighttime options also adds to the enjoyment of creating the posts for this thread. I hope you keep enjoying, and thanks for following along!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-06-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #145
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1736 View Post
Some more great photos from days past Pete! The already long Airbus A340-600 looked even longer wearing Iberia's striped livery. The Spanish Mad-Dog stole the show at the end though - the striped livery just worked so well on this airframe!

- Cal.

Hi Cal, I totally agree!
The up-and-over stripes give the MD-80 a really sporty look, almost like a race car. I can't express enough, how much I miss that plane--a modern-day workhorse and great to fly on, too!! The final Iberia installment will surely have some more tempting McDonnell Douglas aircraft--stay tuned. I really appreciate all of the feedback, it makes me happy to hear the positive comments and pushes me to do more!
Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 04-06-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #146
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
How many Iberia flights to your wonderful airport, a real Latin America super-hub.
Interesting also the point-to-point routes to the various Spanish holiday islands like Lanzarote.

I thought it was fun (if not a little cheeky!) to put in a totally off-the-wall destination like Lanzaroteno way in real life that would ever happen, but this is an advantage to staging a fantasy location! Looks like it might be the only photo my Iberia Express plane will ever get LOL! Thanks again for following along--your compliments and encouragement mean so much. I hope the upcoming threads will be enjoyable for all!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #147
Senior Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
I didn't know you were so avid to Iberia models Pete, but they sure bring life to your diorama!

I surprised myself when I began this Iberia thread and realized that I have FOUR BOXES full of IB model planes in 1:500. Indeed, it has been a love affair with that airline from the start (Miami to San Jose on the DC-9-30 in the late 1990's)//their friendly "hola" greetings as you step aboard make you feel like you are in Spain right from the beginning!!

The four boxes:
Old 04-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #148
Senior Captain

The Iberia Airlines Anthology, Epilogue. . .

The Boeing 727-200 did much to revolutionize passenger jet operations with respect to economics, performance, reliability, and the passenger experience. In its own time, it was the world’s best-selling jet. In this first view, we see an Iberia 727-200 just before touchdown in a late-evening landing on San Ysidro’s runway 28.

Another Iberia 727-200 is seen here leaving runway 28 after a mid-morning arrival from Gran Canaria, while an AeroMexico DC-10 takes off immediately thereafter, on a flight back to Mexico City:

An Iberia 727-200 waits its turn for clearance to take off, while another three-holer (an AA 722) lands on runway 10:

After taking off, the 727-200 makes a sharp left turn to perform a low pass over San Ysidro town before beginning its climb to altitude. This was a scenic delight and a special treat for all the lucky window-seat passengers!

An Iberia DC-9-30 completes its back-taxi as it enters the turnaround for runway 28:

Ready for take-off to San Jose, Costa Rica! IB used San Ysidro as a transfer point for travel between Spain and numerous points in Latin America, just like it did at Miami in the 1990’s. Passengers connected at SYX from larger planes to smaller ones which was not only efficient, but also increased the number of viable destination options:

What a difference a few decades can make! This overview of the Satellite Concourse at SYX in the 1990’s shows a beautiful assortment of Iberia DC-9’s and MD-80’s, in contrast to today’s mix of A320 and A321 aircraft:

An IB MD-80 pushes back for departure to Tegucigalpa, which was served along with Panama City, San Jose, and Guatemala City during Iberia’s “Interchange Program:”

Finally, we bid farewell to the gorgeous Douglas twinjets with this parting shot of a DC-9-30 arriving from SJO:

Old 04-07-2020, 08:45 AM   #149
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I thought it was fun (if not a little cheeky!) to put in a totally off-the-wall destination like Lanzaroteno way in real life that would ever happen, but this is an advantage to staging a fantasy location! Looks like it might be the only photo my Iberia Express plane will ever get LOL! Thanks again for following along--your compliments and encouragement mean so much. I hope the upcoming threads will be enjoyable for all!
Well, with some more A321XLR San Ysidro - Lanzarote route is no more a dream...8.700 km of range could be enough!
For example you could add Arkia (three A321LR's produced by Herpa) and, when Herpa will realize it, Aer Lingus A321LR.
Just an idea.

Charter airlines lover

Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #150
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Aer Lingus would be great here with their clean looking A321neo, Pete!

Those Iberia MD80 series do give me another unusual vibe; I remember seeing photos of them being stored somewhere in Spain (VLC? MAD?) all together, and your overview made me think of that (because that's what I assume when I see a large amount of IB MD80s lol)

My Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: