Split Airport (Croatia) 1:500. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Split Airport (Croatia) 1:500.

Hello.
Next airport i have to realize is Split (Spalato-Castelli), one of the most famous holiday destinations in Europe.
The airport is situated in Croatia, handles about 3.500.000 passengers per year and all the most important charter/leisure airlines in Europe. Even the most important flag carriers operate scheduled/seasonal and charter flights to Split.

Aegean Airlines
Aer Lingus
Aeroflot
Air France
Air Serbia
airBaltic
Alitalia
Austrian Airlines
BRA-Braathens Regional Airlines
British Airways
Brussels Airlines
Condor
Croatia
easyJet
easyJet Switzerland
Edelweiss
Enter Air
Eurowings
Finnair
Great Dane Airlines
Iberia
Jet2.com
KLM
Laudamotion
LOT
Lufthansa
Luxair
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Ryanair
SAS
SkyUp
Smartwings
Trade Air
Transavia
Transavia France
TUI Airways
TUIfly Belgium
TUIfly Nordic
Ukraine International
Volotea
Vueling
Wideroe
Windrose
Wizz Air

As usual i started with the terminal building, adding also the new section.

Charter airlines lover
I desperately want...all charter airlines still missing!

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
The sky is not the same without you!
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #2
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Re: Split Airport (Croatia) 1:500.

The terminal building, old + new.

Charter airlines lover

Primera, Monarch, airberlin, XL Airways France, Germania, Small Planet, WOW, Aigle Azur, Sterling, Thomas Cook, Adria, Air Italy/Meridiana, Level, FlyBe, SunExpress Germany...R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
The Dark Side

I imagine this is a not so-well-known airport because it is especially common as holiday airport for European holidaymakers that want to spend their relaxing days in Croatia but, trust me, it is coming as a new masterpiece!
Very difficult apron marks with many parking lines.
Update and pics in the next days.
P.S. GUESTS...participate!!!

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
The Dark Side

The challenging apron is finished, i am really happy! Extremely difficult.
I have just to stick the grass and Split is ready for the traffic.
Tomorrow the pics.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Charter and regional

Danish Air Transport is flying under the radarDanish Air Transport is flying under the radar

What I like most about Split airport is the beautiful backdrop from the mountains/hills behind the runway.
Very good choice about this airport. Looking forward to see the finished airport.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
The Dark Side

Here the airport finished:

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #7
The Dark Side

Some other airports of the Balkans i had in my mind:
Pola (Croatia)
Tivat (Montenegro)
Dubrovnik (Croatia).
Tivat is the more interesting, especially because the landing on runway 14 is on the water, similar to Skiathos and St. Maarten. But Herpa did not produce Montenegro Airlines Fokker 100 and E190 so Tivat will be my next Balkan holiday project when Herpa will produce both models, along with Air Serbia A319 and/or A320.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 03-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

I think you have done a great job with the proportions and scaling of the building and the apron. Plus, there is a runway, which I love! Best of all, though, is the faithful interpretation of the control tower including the vertical structural striations, just as seen in the original. Wonderful airport!
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I think you have done a great job with the proportions and scaling of the building and the apron. Plus, there is a runway, which I love! Best of all, though, is the faithful interpretation of the control tower including the vertical structural striations, just as seen in the original. Wonderful airport!
Pete
Thanks Pete. It was difficult to realize because wood is not like cardboard or plastic, but when realized the structures are beautiful.

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #10
Senior Captain

uncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobbyuncle beat is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
Thanks Pete. It was difficult to realize because wood is not like cardboard or plastic, but when realized the structures are beautiful.

Yes, I 100% agree, I love the patina of a nicely-painted wood surface. It is warm, non-reflective, and has a richness that other materials do not have. Although difficult to work with in our tiny 1:500 scale, the results (as exemplified in your projects) can be amazing!

Pete
Old 03-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #11
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
Yes, I 100% agree, I love the patina of a nicely-painted wood surface. It is warm, non-reflective, and has a richness that other materials do not have. Although difficult to work with in our tiny 1:500 scale, the results (as exemplified in your projects) can be amazing!

Pete
In fact i decided not to buy Herpa cardboard airport's terminal buildings: they are difficult to stick and very often the result is not so good. If Herpa realized plastic or resin terminal buildings of the most important airports of the world i am sure many collectors would have bought them, me among them! I proposed Herpa to realize the terminal buildings in plastic material but they answered it wasn't possible because too expensive...well, Amsterdam Schiphol costed around 150 euro, not so cheap!
I don't understand: a plastic+metal airplane model 1:500 scale costs about 30-35 euro, LAX "Tom Bradley" terminal building, cardboard made, 40 euro each...160 euro for the entire terminal, and it is cardboard!

Charter airlines lover

Old 03-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #12
Senior Captain

You are right--the full LAX is expensive, and it is only cardboard (a near equivalent of paper!). A dumb decision by Herpa, and yet there is confusion about maintaining and increasing the interest in this hobby?? You don't do this by cutting corners! Sometimes companies don't realize the value in charging somewhat more money--like in this case, for durable plastic buildings instead of cardboard--which will give customers something that creates a good impression, will be long-lasting and is something that collectors will treasure. A way to truly build customer loyalty and generate long-term interest in this hobby. Reminds me of General Motors--low quality materials even in their Cadillacs, which don't hold up well and look terrible after just a few years.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: