Northwoods Regional Airport - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Puddle Jumper

Slash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributor
Northwoods Regional Airport

Just a quick layout I put together over the last few days. Wanted to give handmade terminal making a try, as well as creating a smaller layout that will provide a destination for my CWA airport that some of my regional flights depart from as well as some smaller personal traffic. I think it turned out pretty good. Only thing im not sure of is I used a cheap felt for my grass as i didn't want to use my expensive stuff but i think i may have to find something else as it just doesn't look realistic enough. Still some fine details need to be completed then the traffic should arrive!

Thanks for looking!

Slash01z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
ATP Captain

ThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobbyThomsonAirways737 is a legend of the hobby
Re: Northwoods Regional Airport

A very neat little setup. Love the terminal design.

'He ain't heavy, he's my brother'
ThomsonAirways737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Admin

DutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobbyDutchCollector is a legend of the hobby

Neat. The terminal glasses do reflect light strongly, but that certainly has a sunset or sunrise charm to it.
Check out my Amsterdam Schiphol in 1:500: http://www.wings900.com/vb/model-air...l-airport.html

Not Looking for a Sky500 Jet Airways 777-300ER anymore! They kinda went bankrupt..

Also check out my photos on Planespotters.net!

Planespotters.net - Aviation Photos, Production Lists and more
DutchCollector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

I really like the use of corrugated roofing material--it goes perfectly atop the great little terminal and the overall effect reminds me of some of the famous Frank Gehry projects (think Guggenheim Bilbao, the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, or the Case Western Reserve University--my dental school alma mater--School of Business Management Building). At any rate, regarding the grass, you might consider keeping what you are already using, but then experiment by dabbing on hundreds of tiny dots in lighter and darker shades of green onto the grass, which would eliminate the current monochromatic effect. If that still isn't realistic enough, or if it looks bad, then you could switch to "Plan B" and use your more expensive turf, or alternatively, SNOW!!.

I think it is cool to have an airport in Wisconsin's Great Northwoods--I spent many childhood summers--and some awesome winter/ Christmas holidays--up there In those days, it was quite an ordeal to get all the way up to Rhinelander, but truly worth the trouble.

Pete

Last edited by uncle beat; 10-16-2019 at 12:12 AM.
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #5
Puddle Jumper

Slash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributorSlash01z is an excellent contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomsonAirways737 View Post
A very neat little setup. Love the terminal design.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchCollector View Post
Neat. The terminal glasses do reflect light strongly, but that certainly has a sunset or sunrise charm to it.
Thanks! Yes it is a very nice reflection actually more then i expected. Wish i could get it to reflect in a more natural orange/red but we will make it work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle beat View Post
I really like the use of corrugated roofing material--it goes perfectly atop the great little terminal and the overall effect reminds me of some of the famous Frank Gehry projects (think Guggenheim Bilbao, the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, or the Case Western Reserve University--my dental school alma mater--School of Business Management Building). At any rate, regarding the grass, you might consider keeping what you are already using, but then experiment by dabbing on hundreds of tiny dots in lighter and darker shades of green onto the grass, which would eliminate the current monochromatic effect. If that still isn't realistic enough, or if it looks bad, then you could switch to "Plan B" and use your more expensive turf, or alternatively, SNOW!!.

I think it is cool to have an airport in Wisconsin's Great Northwoods--I spent many childhood summers--and some awesome winter/ Christmas holidays--up there In those days, it was quite an ordeal to get all the way up to Rhinelander, but truly worth the trouble.

Pete
Thank you very much! You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find something with that corrugated texture locally! Obviously being in the northwoods I still have to add some trees so that may help some and of course some snow would look neat! At first I was actually debating a replica of Rhinelander, but eventually just went with a generic layout. If i can become a little more crafty I may try Appleton or Green bay next!
Old 10-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #6
Selfie with bros

LeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobbyLeoMuse747 is a legend of the hobby

Really interesting airport! I also like some smaller, kinda cozy airports too. Wish I could also have a secondary diorama. I used to have another one (Golden Spike Regional Airport), but it is now stored and without further plans
Old 10-17-2019, 05:36 AM   #7
Second Officer

buettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dogbuettni is a top dog

Very nice airport! I also like the roofing this way a lot and the reflecting windows give it a special effect. Also the layout of the apron I like a lot. It is a small but nice and functual layout.
Good work! Looking forward to seeing more of it in operation.

My registered fleet (still many items missing):
http://www.wings900.com/modeldatabase/mycollection/collection-24536.html
buettni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Puddle Jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMuse747 View Post
Really interesting airport! I also like some smaller, kinda cozy airports too. Wish I could also have a secondary diorama. I used to have another one (Golden Spike Regional Airport), but it is now stored and without further plans
Thanks! I have always been jealous of your biz jets so i will have to find some myself now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buettni View Post
Very nice airport! I also like the roofing this way a lot and the reflecting windows give it a special effect. Also the layout of the apron I like a lot. It is a small but nice and functual layout.
Good work! Looking forward to seeing more of it in operation.
Thank you! I cant wait to get some traffic on it as well. Really wish the regional models were supported better but I guess that means some more regional customs may be in the works for me!
Old 11-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Operations Director

MD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast iconMD11Freighter is a diecast icon

I like the terminal. Awesome work
MD11Freighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: