Washington "Dulles" airport (USA - IAD) 1:500 scale. - Wings900 Discussion Forums Wings900 - Model News

Go Back   Wings900 Discussion Forums > Wings900 Model Terminal > Model Airports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby
Washington "Dulles" airport (USA - IAD) 1:500 scale.

I decided to realize my first USA airport and my choice fell on Washington "Dulles"(IAD).
There are several reasons for "Dulles":
- because Washington is the Capital City of USA (since 1801);
- because there are about all the most important European airlines serving the airport, including the troubled Alitalia;
- because the terminal building is quite easy to realize, a long and narrow rectangle;
- because parking stands/apron lines are weird and mostly slanted, a good way to check how i can realize them;
- because i really enjoyed Bruce Willis in "Die Hard 2", with "Washington "Dulles" airport as protagonist.
This will be just the first USA airport i will realize: two or three airports will follow.
These the airlines serving IAD:

Aer Lingus
Aeroflot
Air Canada Express
Air China
Air France
Air India
Alaska Airlines
Alitalia
ANA
American Airlines
American Eagle
Austrian Airlines
Avianca
British Airways
Brussels Airlines
Cabo Verde Airlines
Cathay Pacific
COPA Airlines
Delta Air Lines
Delta Connection
Egyptair
Emirates
Ethiopian Airlines
Etihad Airways
Frontier Airlines
Icelandair
KLM
Korean Air
Lufthansa
Porter Airlines
Qatar Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Saudia
SAS
SAA
Southwest
Sun Country
Swiss
TAP
Turkish Airlines
United Airlines
United Express
Virgin Atlantic
Volaris

All your comments and especially suggestions are more than welcome!
I am getting old so, please, may you repeat me which is the terminal serving both USA and International/Intercontinental airlines?!
Thanks so much.

Charter airlines lover
Charter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby
Re: Washington "Dulles" (USA - IAD) 1:500 scale.

Pier C is for all United international flights, United domestic flights departs from both pier C and D. United Express uses pier A, C or D and piers A and B are used for all other airlines, both domestic and international.

One exception: Air Canada and Frontier uses pier F with is directly connected to the main terminal.

Their website seems down for the moment but the Chilean store Maqualas (InMotion Hosting) has produced a model of mobile lounges, used at IAD. These strange looking busses are used to connect arriving and transfer passengers from their international flight to the customs and immigration area (one exception: United Airlines passengers transferring from an international flight must pass immigration in concourse C.

My collection: http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...usselsairlines
Wingslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Wingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobbyWingslover is a legend of the hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charter View Post
- because Washington is the Capital City of USA (since 1801);
Technically the airport is in Virginia and not in District of Columbia (Washington DC)

I have a few pics of IAD I can send you if you want. I'm quite busy these days so you might have to wait a few days/weeks since I have no idea where these pics are stored on my pc

Old 08-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
SpeedBirdOneThreeNine

solicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobbysolicitor82 is a legend of the hobby

Ale, Washington Dulles or IAD is one of the important airports not only in US but in North America...you’ll be highlighting an already important airport with fabulous traffic including BA A380, Emirates A380, Lufthansa B748, Air France B777, Swiss A333, etc..and loads of domestic US traffic too! Waiting patiently for this project to develop, my friend!
solicitor82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 AM   #5
The Dark Side

Charter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobbyCharter is a legend of the hobby

Thanks for the suggestions my friends.
First of all i have to prepare the apron-tarmac with the different colors, then i have to prepare the terminal building: it is about 60 meters wide, 12 cm in 1:500 scale, with some elements to add in both sides.
So, Councorse A and B are part of the same straight building closest to the main terminal building+ATC, right?

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 08-14-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:18 AM   #6
Sympathy for the devil 😈

https://www.flydulles.com/iad/airport-and-terminal-maps Here is a map to help you identifying the terminals 🙂

Old 08-14-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
https://www.flydulles.com/iad/airport-and-terminal-maps Here is a map to help you identifying the terminals 🙂
Thanks Alberic.

Charter airlines lover
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
Sympathy for the devil 😈

Quote:
Thanks Alberic.
You're welcome
Btw I wrote earlier that Frontier and Air Canada uses pier F but it should be pier Z, since there's no pier F at IAD

Old 08-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
Captain

uncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top doguncle beat is a top dog

This will be another exciting project--I'm looking forward to all of the traffic within the U.S. and overseas it will generate
Pete
uncle beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
The Dark Side

Some airport aprons are truly "works of art" in colors, shades, lines...real pictures.
"Dulles" is one of them, with an apron to be realized centimeter by centimeter.

Charter airlines lover
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #11
The Dark Side

Quote:
Some airport aprons are truly "works of art" in colors, shades, lines...real pictures.
"Dulles" is one of them, with an apron to be realized centimeter by centimeter.

I am writing the apron lines and it is becoming stunning! I already checked the Austrian Airlines B767-300WL like Google Maps...absolutely amazing.

Charter airlines lover
Old 08-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Sympathy for the devil 😈

What are all those orange and red squares? AFAIK the ramp of IAD is not orange or red

Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #13
The Dark Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingslover View Post
What are all those orange and red squares? AFAIK the ramp of IAD is not orange or red
Wait, wait...in the meantime have a look at Google Maps.
There are all those shades on the apron but i have still to fade them with charcoal.

Charter airlines lover

Last edited by Charter; 08-19-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
The Dark Side

Charter airlines lover
Old 08-19-2019, 09:32 AM   #15
The Dark Side

Yes Alberic, agree with you: even faded the colors are too intense. I have to spread more grey, but the apron lines work very well.

Charter airlines lover